If you could have chosen your religion ?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduynView Post

Not all aboriginals had the same beliefs, nor did they all behave civil or humanely. They were as diverse then as we all are now. Our beliefs may not differ that much but I still belive in one Creator who has dominion over "His" creations and delgates dominion in a descending order, (and yes, through spirits or angels), where we as humans, are the lowest order of sentient beings. Just as in the bible there are interpretations, though only through spirituality comes the realisation of what is right and just.

You and I may not be that far apart, but it seems you trust more in what the eye can see than what the heart can feel.

You are right about the beliefs of the aboriginals. Pretty hard to go into any detail here.
As for my trust in spirit, it has more to do with feelings than line of sight. The heart connects us to the wisdom of the soul, the soul is a direct conduit to the Creator. I'm not a purist by any means. I make my spirituality up as I learn new stuff and have new experiences. No dogma stuck to my shoes!

Said1
I would have picked Rosicrucianism.

Jamirez
Everything is in your head, so I'd rather just relax, not to think about it.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

I would have picked Rosicrucianism.

I lived with a Rosicrucian for twelve years. I learned a lot form her. Then one day, out of the blue, her parents, who were high up in the order, became Born Again Christians. My partner was soon converted too and I was deemed to a minion of satan because of my involvement with native spirituality. Thus I lost my wife and child to the lunatic fringe. That is why I think dogma is so dangerous.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

A prime example of 3 men that don't have a clue what they are talking about.

And you would know what they are talking about? roflmao

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

And you would know what they are talking about? roflmao

None of the statements that I quoted are true.

AnnaG

None of the statements that I quoted are true.

*shrugs* You're entitled to your opinion.
So you are saying that only Christians work to better themselves? There aren't any that just do whatever they like and then head for the confessional only to do what they want the next day? Cool. I haven't seen halos bobbing around over anyone's head, though.

El Barto

But never gives his reasons why

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by missileView Post

At that stage of my life, I wouldn't have been qualified to select anything,but if it was 6 years old or so..probably would have selected the Jewish faith for its history and ceremonies.

The day I was born I had more things on my mind then religion, I am sure.

gerryh

So you are saying that only Christians work to better themselves? There aren't any that just do whatever they like and then head for the confessional only to do what they want the next day? Cool. I haven't seen halos bobbing around over anyone's head, though.

nope, didn't say that either, did I. Of corse their are those that do that,
just like there are those that don't "believe" that don't give a sh*t about
anyone but themsves. You don' see me making blanket statements about
athiests though, do you.

AnnaG

nope, didn't say that either, did I. Of corse their are those that do that,
just like there are those that don't "believe" that don't give a sh*t about
anyone but themsves. You don' see me making blanket statements about
athiests though, do you.

I don't know, but you did make a blanket generalisation that 3 people haven't a clue what they were talking about when it's pretty obvious that they do have their own points and you just admitted that at least part of what Les said was true.

gerryh

I don't know, but you did make a blanket generalisation that 3 people haven't a clue what they were talking about when it's pretty obvious that they do have their own points and you just admitted that at least part of what Les said was true.

So, there is no problem with making partially correct statements about a group of people. I'll remember that.

AnnaG

So, there is no problem with making partially correct statements about a group of people. I'll remember that.

Say whatever you like. No-one is forced to believe you. lol

gerryh

Say whatever you like. No-one is forced to believe you. lol

Still missing the point. I see I was right about you from the beginning.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Mar 6th, 2010 at 04:16 PM..Reason: Removed personal attack

El Barto

Francis2004
The Oracle has spoken...

L Gilbert
lol.

Spade
You'd think religion would straighten out personal differences.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

You'd think religion would straighten out personal differences.

Apparently, religion robs people of a sense of humor and even instills in some a definitively un-Christian behavior.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Mar 6th, 2010 at 04:17 PM..

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Apparently, religion robs people of a sense of humor and even instills in some a definitively un-Christian behavior.

Ironic isn't it?

gerryh
and you'd think that someone that objects to being told that their beliefs or lack of beliefs are wrong, wouldn't do the same thing, but I guess that's why they're Hypocrites.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Mar 6th, 2010 at 04:57 PM..Reason: Cleaning it up

El Barto

and you'd think that someone that objects to being told that their beliefs or lack of beliefs are wrong, wouldn't do the same thing, but I guess that's why their Hypocrites.

gerryh

and you'd think that someone that objects to being told that their beliefs or lack of beliefs are wrong, wouldn't do the same thing, but I guess that's why they're Hypocrites.

Sorry Ron, you're edited version of what I said doesn't have any where near the same "punch".

Ron in Regina
....but it's still there, as opposed to not being there at all.

Francis2004
The only Hypocrite here is the only stating he knows our beliefs and thoughts without telling us what they are..

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Francis2004View Post

The only Hypocrite here is the only stating he knows our beliefs and thoughts without telling us what they are..

I didn't actually use the word hypocrite. That was Ron's creative editing.

Ron in Regina
Yes...I'm guilty of substituting the word "Hypocrite" for "Something Else" but with
a similar (I'm assuming) connotation...but worded in such a way that I couldn't
leave the post unedited. I'd either have had to edit or remove the post.

I felt that Gerryh (though worded in a very colorful manner) had made a very valid
point. Gerryh (with the Faith that he follows) isn't trashing Atheists on Atheist
Threads. I believe that was the point that Gerryh was making. If I was mistaken, then I
apologize. I was just try'n to clean things up without completely removing the post.

gerryh
Ron, it appears trashing Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc, is the status quo here. Two can play that game though.

Francis2004

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Yes...I'm guilty of substituting the word "Hypocrite" for "Something Else" but with
a similar (I'm assuming) connotation...but worded in such a way that I couldn't
leave the post unedited. I'd either have had to edit or remove the post.

Ron, it appears trashing Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc, is the status quo here. Two can play that game though.

OK so even with Ron's admittance of changing the post you still have not gotten to the root of the issue.. What is it that I think and what have I trashed in religion ?

Liberalman
I wish I was born a Jew because when I was a little boy the Roman Catholics priests were a little too friendly I just thank God I never became an alter boy