Lordco... can you trust them?

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Obviously not.

I recently went to the Lordco at Clarke Rd. in my area and wanted to get an oil filter for my SUV. After speaking with the person behind the counter, he went off into the aisles and returned with a Fram oil filter. He laid it on the counter and told me to pay at the cashier counter. Okay... so how much is it? He replied $10.71.... ummm. what? That's probably the most expensive oil filter that has ever been quoted to me. So I said forget it and told him that it's cheaper at Canadian Tire. So he gave me this look like I was an idiot and walked back into the aisle with his oil filter.

I then went to Canadian Tire and found the same oil filter for $5.50.

Are all the Lordco people that work behind the counter retarded or is it just this guy?

So I go to the Lordco website expecting to see some email addresses to their head office so I could file a complaint and produce a paper trail. Nope. Nothing. They had a forum, though, so I posted a message there hoping to see some resolve or explanation as to why the price is so inflated... an hour later, my post is gone. Nice. I then went to the BBB website and guess what? They are not members.

I thought Lordco would be an honest place to get parts since it seems that they are everywhere (3 locations in the tri-city area alone), but after this incident I really don't trust them anymore.

Anyone have any similar incidents?

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A FRAM oil filter is the most expensive filter on the market. I don't know if the Lordco counter guys are on commission or not, but he could have come up with an oil filter that was cheaper than the FRAM.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Ha ha... I just tried to go back to the Lordco forum website and guess what... my IP has been blocked... So much for customer service.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
A FRAM oil filter is the most expensive filter on the market. I don't know if the Lordco counter guys are on commission or not, but he could have come up with an oil filter that was cheaper than the FRAM.

hmmm. I thought Fram would be the cheapest since they are not rated very high in terms of quality and construction. But anyway, Canadian Tire had them for 1/2 the price of Lordco and no commission either.

Happy_Trails

Mar 22, 2007
So here's the thing,

Lordco has a pricing structure with different levels of discounts and they do not work on commision.

What I'm guessing is that you came in all douche baggy about a stupid oil filter and he charged you the most he could.

I'm sure he wasn't suprised when you had a hissy fit and ran off.

None the less, a good attitude can go a long way in life. If you had been nicer he wouldn't have charged you so much.

As for you not shopping at Lordco I'd say it's a win for them, because a company that big can afford to have a few less jerk customers such as yourself.

But that's just what I think....

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I can only guess Lordco is a big discount warehouse like Costco. If so the product is priced when the purchaser issue's the purchase order. All these big companies do that. It is entred in their system under the upc, the bar code thingy. A part monkry on the floor is not changing the price when you come in grumpy. The just charge too much there. Obviously.8O

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
OK, let me get this straight right off the bat. I did not go in there with a hissy-fit attitude or a grouchy look on my face. I went in there looking for an oil filter like every other joe blow that needs parts for their cars. What more do you want the customer to do? Kiss ass and pray for a good price? Gimme a break. I never have and I never will.

Let's face it, the guy tried to rip me off and I called his bluff. I don't look like the kind of guy that works on his own cars and he most likely misjudged me as easy prey. Just like when your wife brings her car to the mechanic shop for an simple oil change and comes home $1000 poorer. People who try to take advantage of other people like that should be taken out back and shot...

...and here we have happy_trails and eh1eh actually trying to defend this guy. I guess you have no problem paying $10 for a $5 dollar item? No, I believe it's a win for Lordco to have people like you around because they can just continue ripping off ignorant people like yourselves.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Here's a thought: if you don't like the price of something, don't buy it. Go somewhere else. In what possible universe do you think you should ocntact the BBB because their price is higher than someone else's?

If I worked at the store, I'd do the same thing. Don't like the price? Go somewhere else. I can't even begin to think why anyone thinks this merits any complaints or further thoughts.

And before you start, I'm not "ignorant", and I don't pay $10 for a $5 item. I ask the price of something, if I don't like it, I go elsewhere.

TekJansen

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2007
Western NC, USA
You tried to sick the BBB on them for ONE item being high-priced?

After hearing that, I'm sure that you were very polite in their forum.:roll:

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Sorry to mislead you guys, but nowhere in my previous posts did I ever say that I tried to sic the BBB on them. I merely went to the site to determine what kind of complaints were filed against them.

> If I worked at the store, I'd do the same thing. Don't like the price?
> Go somewhere else. I can't
> even begin to think why anyone thinks this merits any
> complaints or further thoughts.

That's exactly what I did. However, if you worked at the store, would you tell that person to pay at the counter without letting them know about the price first? (Every other parts store gave me the price when they punched it into their computer) Then, when the customer asks you for the price and they decline to buy because the price you quoted is cheaper someplace else, would you stare at them and make them look like they wasted your time? What kind of customer service is that? Do you really expect when you do that, the customer is going to come back?

The purpose of this whole thing was to give Lordco feedback on their customer service and get an answer on their inflated prices. The post on this Consumer Awareness forum is to inform potential customers to beware of the prices at Lordco and if you really need to get something from there to be informed of what the prices should be.

Last edited:

TekJansen

Nominee Member
Mar 24, 2007
Western NC, USA
Thanks for clarifying.

I do have to say that I'd probably have issues with a place called Lordco, Mastermart, or Godstore for that matter. Sounds a bit condescending.:lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have done my own work on our cars for years. In the last twenty years or so, I've been limited to changing the oil and filters, replacing the brake pads, windsheild wipers, etc. I've dealt with Lordco for years. Never had a complaint. What you might have run into could have been the minimum wage syndrome. You can't get qualified parts people for minimum wage.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That's exactly what I did. However, if you worked at the store, would you tell that person to pay at the counter without letting them know about the price first?
Yes, I would, if the customer didn't ask for a price.

The purpose of this whole thing was to give Lordco feedback on their customer service and get an answer on their inflated prices. The post on this Consumer Awareness forum is to inform potential customers to beware of the prices at Lordco and if you really need to get something from there to be informed of what the prices should be.

So really, what your post should have said was "I went shopping for an oil filter at Lordco, and found they were much higher priced than Canadian Tire." That much, I understand.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Yes, I would, if the customer didn't ask for a price.

So really, what your post should have said was "I went shopping for an oil filter at Lordco, and found they were much higher priced than Canadian Tire." That much, I understand.

At least you got part of it right.

Big-D

May 27, 2007
For starters I know that in the Automotive industry there is different price levels, one for the consumer and one for the shops that fix the consumers vehicles after all they need to make money as well. I sure if you go to any parts store other than Canadian Tire you will find this. Lordco is not a self help store like C.Tire and usually employs people that know what they are talking about and more than one (ever try to get help at C.Tire) These things all cost money. So maybe if you do not want professional service you should shop at the big box stores. But as far aas I know Lordco has over 87 stores in B.C. And is owned by one person in Maple Ridge hmmm must be doing something right. PS Lordco is from the last names of the two people that started the company over 35 years ago.

falcon2007

Jan 12, 2008
problem at courtenay store

I too had a similiar problem with the website and the store in Courtenay as documented below.

I am trying to become a regular customer of Lordco but the trained monkeys you have behind the counters giving out parts with no mechanical knowledge at all are making it very difficult. I live 25 minutes out of town so it is an hour trip to your store and back. When I get home and try and put the parts on my vehicle and they do not fit for the second time I am strongly coming to the conclusion that going to a store with competent people behind the counter that may cost me a bit more for the parts would save me in time and money for fuel in the long run. A friend of mine reccomended your store to me and said that it is the cheapest place to go for parts but with the extra gas it is not working out this way for me. He suggested that I take off the part and physically take it in with me so that the sales people could see the exact part and not screw up and give me the wrong one but this is not always possible when you are driving the vehicle you are trying to fix. I don't understand what the problem is when I give them the make, model, year, engine size and I still get the wrong parts. I told one young fellow that my car is a six cylinder and t ed up the day earlier and the one from the vehicle. The salesman looked at the two parts though different han after he brought a distributor for a four cylinder, I told him again it was a six cylinder. I then got the wrong rotor and cap, hence the story above. So I send in my wife to make this a third trip with the wrong rotor I had pick and tried to convince my wife that the part should still work even though it was shorter and the holes were different sizes. When she insisted that i wanted the correct part, he looked it up on the computer and gave her the part that matched the one she brought in. He didn't charge her any more for the new part as he wanted to make sure i was kept satisfied. I have never had to take my parts into a parts store to make sure I got the right part before unless it was a specialty or rare part that usually doesn't break or wear out.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
I too had a similiar problem with the website and the store in Courtenay as documented below.

I am trying to become a regular customer of Lordco but the trained monkeys you have behind the counters giving out parts with no mechanical knowledge at all are making it very difficult. I live 25 minutes out of town so it is an hour trip to your store and back. When I get home and try and put the parts on my vehicle and they do not fit for the second time I am strongly coming to the conclusion that going to a store with competent people behind the counter that may cost me a bit more for the parts would save me in time and money for fuel in the long run. A friend of mine reccomended your store to me and said that it is the cheapest place to go for parts but with the extra gas it is not working out this way for me. He suggested that I take off the part and physically take it in with me so that the sales people could see the exact part and not screw up and give me the wrong one but this is not always possible when you are driving the vehicle you are trying to fix. I don't understand what the problem is when I give them the make, model, year, engine size and I still get the wrong parts. I told one young fellow that my car is a six cylinder and t ed up the day earlier and the one from the vehicle. The salesman looked at the two parts though different han after he brought a distributor for a four cylinder, I told him again it was a six cylinder. I then got the wrong rotor and cap, hence the story above. So I send in my wife to make this a third trip with the wrong rotor I had pick and tried to convince my wife that the part should still work even though it was shorter and the holes were different sizes. When she insisted that i wanted the correct part, he looked it up on the computer and gave her the part that matched the one she brought in. He didn't charge her any more for the new part as he wanted to make sure i was kept satisfied. I have never had to take my parts into a parts store to make sure I got the right part before unless it was a specialty or rare part that usually doesn't break or wear out.

I usually don't trust the person behind the counter to know the exact part for my car because there is no way he can remember parts for every make and model ever produced off the top of his/her head. Most of the time, they just look up the information in their parts book or computer and then check stock status and retrieve the parts for you.

Instead, I've come to rely on the Internet for the right part numbers and procedures for repairing my car. More specifically, the website named http://alldatadiy.com. It's a subscription service but well worth the price since it's like an online service manual for your car. This site also displays repair procedures showing both expected cost and time so that you get an idea of what needs to be done or if you bring your car to a mechanic, you will have an idea of approx. how much you are going to pay.

thumper1680

Jan 24, 2008
wow

I myself am a backyard mechanic been doing it all my life , after reading this thread i am shocked . I grew up in parts store as my father has been in the indrustrey for as long as i have been alive . I don't agree with the price but it may have been a simple computer error , and also the cashier could have rechecked it too . But any Parts store could have done this also Canaidain tire has to be the worst store to get parts from period they use the cheapest products the can buy bulk and don't pass the savings , i've boughten high end brands and low end too and had them not fit , even if it's the right part number , one flaw in casting a part or different materials used in production can make a difference .

a few simple steps can make it so simple to buy parts at any store, bring in the faulty part if possible and know what you are needing . Since i don't live near my Fathers store i always make sure i get the parts guy to use the catouloge cause they are usally more accurate than the computer .

I've been on both sides of the counter and i have seen it all helping my father at work as a youth and i really feel for the people that do it cause they put up with a lot of crap.

Ask for a better deal , most store can drop the price too

harry1

Mar 4, 2008
Trust ?

Obviously not.

I recently went to the Lordco at Clarke Rd. in my area and wanted to get an oil filter for my SUV. After speaking with the person behind the counter, he went off into the aisles and returned with a Fram oil filter. He laid it on the counter and told me to pay at the cashier counter. Okay... so how much is it? He replied $10.71.... ummm. what? That's probably the most expensive oil filter that has ever been quoted to me. So I said forget it and told him that it's cheaper at Canadian Tire. So he gave me this look like I was an idiot and walked back into the aisle with his oil filter.

I then went to Canadian Tire and found the same oil filter for $5.50.

Are all the Lordco people that work behind the counter retarded or is it just this guy?

So I go to the Lordco website expecting to see some email addresses to their head office so I could file a complaint and produce a paper trail. Nope. Nothing. They had a forum, though, so I posted a message there hoping to see some resolve or explanation as to why the price is so inflated... an hour later, my post is gone. Nice. I then went to the BBB website and guess what? They are not members.

I thought Lordco would be an honest place to get parts since it seems that they are everywhere (3 locations in the tri-city area alone), but after this incident I really don't trust them anymore.

Anyone have any similar incidents?
Ever thought of doing your homework before you slam a company or person? obviously not!...I love people that blame something before themselves

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Do my homework? umm yeah I did. I went in there expecting to pay no more than $6 from previous purchasing experience and the guy comes back with a crappy $10 filter that costs $5.50 somewhere else. If I didn't do my homework, I would have been blissfully ripped off.

Why don't you do your homework before making stupid posts like that, but your right, I should have blamed myself for walking in there in the first place.