Portfolio Management Canada Inc.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
Portfolio Management Canada Inc., anybody ever heard of them , or dealt with them?

They are a collection agency based in London, Ontario. I am doing some research on them, and I'm wanting to know if anybody on these forums has ever dealt with them. I'm looking for good and bad war stories, so please feel free to offer your experiences with them.

I have collected the following information so far:

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about August 7, 2002.

This sale consisted of approximately 16,379 accounts, consisting of both consumer loans and conditional sales accounts originally booked by CitiFinancial, Avco Financial Services, Beneficial Canada, and Superior Credit Corporation.

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about October 30, 2002.

This sale consisted of approximately 13,000 accounts.

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about December 20, 2002.

This sale consisted of approximately 14,102 accounts.

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about March 31, 2003.

This sale consisted of approximately 18,817 accounts.

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about June 20, 2003.

This sale consisted of approximately 14,104 accounts.

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about September 30, 2003.

This sale consisted of approximately 7,534 accounts.

Portfolio Acquisitions Canada Inc, purchased a block of bad debt from CitiFinancial Canada on or about December 23, 2003.

This sale consisted of approximately 10,953 accounts.

As you can see from the above numbers, that's a lot of bad debt. If you've ever dealt with Portfolio Management Canada, Inc., I'd really like to hear from you. Thank you.

Simpleton

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2006
Sarnia
sarnia.selfip.org
No one on these forums has ever dealt with Portfolio Management Canada, Portfolio Group, or any of the other various names they operate under?

How about other collection agencies? Contact Resource Management? Or any of the other collection agencies operating in Canada?

How about credit reporting agencies? Anybody ever have problems dealing with Equifax or Transunion? As far as I know, they are the only two credit bureau's operating in Canada.

I look forward to sharing my story about Lambton Financial Credit Union with all of you. I think you'll get a whopping dose of education and entertainment from following this story. You can check out my website at http://sarnia.selfip.org

Biggybee

Sep 26, 2006
I received a call today from them. Apparently I have a debt outstanding for $500 from CIBC President's Choice which I had no idea I owed. I am presently in a debt management program and paying back all creditors I previously owed so if I knew that I owed them, I would have included this in my program.

A woman from Portfolio Mangement Canada Inc. had called me last week and left a message for me. I called them back and couldn't actually reach anything except voicemail so I said that I worked during the week and I would try to contact them because I have no idea what they are calling about.

Today I received a call from them again and they informed me that I owe $500 to CIBC and that I need to make arrangements to pay this back or they will proceed with court action against me. (I have learned from various sources that this is bull). I explained that I am presently in a debt management program and that I would get my counsellor to contact the agency and have them sort it out. The woman from PMC then demanded that I give her the information directly so she can close my account. I told her that I preferred not call my credit counsellor and have them contact PMC as that was what I was told to do when I started my debt management program. Plus I wanted to make sure that this debt is valid. The woman then screamed at me "I don't understand why you won't give me the information?" I said "I don't understand why you are so irate and screaming at me right now. The reason is that this is personal information and I am to get my counsellor to deal with this, not me." Then she said "I just don't know why you can't just give me the information so I can close the account? Is it because you are a liar? Are you lying to me?" I told her again to not be so irate and then she said "Under law I can call you every day, three times a day, and I will continue to do so until you get your crap together! Get your crap together lady!!" then she hung up on me.

I gave all the information to my credit counsellor to find out if it is valid and, if so, to add it to my debt repayment program. I cannot believe that this woman was getting so mad and screaming at me. I've dealt with collection agencies in the past, but this was ridiculous, especially over $500 that I didn't even know I owed.

I can't believe that this is someone's job to treat others like this. How can they sleep at night?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Obviously they specialize in CitiFinancial debt. Tell them you're in Cuba, and as a US corp, it is illegal for Citifinancial to give credit to you in the first place!

If any employee treats you that way, ask for their name and/or id number; if they won't give it to you, ask for their supervisor, tell them you'll have your lawyer call them. They're full of ****, so you should be willing to be as well.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
You should NEVER give any information over the phone. This person could be a scammer. And you should not feel guilty at all that you dont give any information. Just tell the person goodbye and hang up.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
yeah sounds hugely dodgy to me. also downright rude and bloody typical of modern capitalism and the vultures which surround us all every day

wlyn

Oct 13, 2006
Ontario Collection Agencies Act

Regarding that harassing collection person. The following is a portion of the Collection Agencies Act that I copied from the Ontario government website http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca
Collection Agencies Act
Loi sur les agences de recouvrement
R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 74
Amended to O. Reg. 103/06
Prohibited Practices and Methods in the Collection of Debts
(6) No collection agency or collector shall engage in conduct described in any of the following paragraphs with respect to the debtor, the debtor’s spouse, a member of the debtor’s family or household, a relative, neighbour, friend or acquaintance of the debtor, the debtor’s employer, a person who guaranteed the debt or a person mistakenly believed to be the debtor:
1. Make a telephone call or personal call at any of the following times, except at the request of the person being contacted:
i. On a Sunday, other than between the hours of 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. local time of the place where the contact is being made.
ii. On any day of the week other than a Sunday, between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. local time of the place where the contact is being made.
iii. Despite subparagraphs i and ii, on any holiday listed in subsection (7).
2. Contact the person more than three times in a seven-day period on behalf of the same creditor, subject to subsections (8) and (9).
3. Publish or threaten to publish the debtor’s failure to pay.
4. Use threatening, profane, intimidating or coercive language.
5. Use undue, excessive or unreasonable pressure.
6. Otherwise communicate in such a manner or with such frequency as to constitute harassment. O. Reg. 103/06, s. 2.
(7) For the purposes of subparagraph 1 iii of subsection (6), the following days are holidays:
1. New Year’s Day.
2. Good Friday.
3. Easter Monday.
4. Victoria Day.
5. Canada Day.
6. Civic Holiday.
7. Labour Day.
8. Thanksgiving Day.
9. Remembrance Day.
10. Christmas Day.
11. December 26.
12. Any day fixed as a holiday by proclamation of the Governor General or Lieutenant Governor. O. Reg. 103/06, s. 2.

Jubes

Oct 30, 2006
Ontario
mixednuts.invisionzone.com
right these poeple have been calling my house every day for months and leaving automated messages on my machine... so today I just happened to take down the info they left and I called them back to find out WHO they are, and WHY are they calling my house looking for someone else. Apparently a freind of my bf's left our number with them as a contact number funny thing is he's never had any debt with Citi bank or any of the other listed companies .... so then she wanted me to tell her where this guy was living and his first name becasue all she had was his first initial and his last name I told her hey I got no clue who you are talking about I don't know anyone by that last name so stop calling here, she then wanted to talk to my bf I told her nope sorry just stop calling my house already, I have no clue who you are talking about. What is wrong with this story.... I mean if you get a credit card or some other load or anything through citi bank I'm sorry but they have your first name... sounds to me like they got their information out of a freaking phone book and are calling around to people and asking them for money they do not owe.....

MrBeefy

Nov 2, 2006
think somethings a little fishy!

I received a call the other day from Portfolio Management Canada Apparently I have a debt outstanding for $732.00 from a whacky weatleys account which I had no idea I owed.Apparently the money owed is from a account is from 1995.....? Ive been dealing with this store for years.If I didnt pay cash I would do the 12 months no interest/no payments plan then i would pay it off totally in that year, never a problem Ive always and still have very good credit there.
So I went to the store and they couldnt find anything outstanding with my name on it.whacky weatleys is stunned too!they seem to think somethings a little fishy!they never heard of the company.I got a loan for my house 3 years ago and I had a credit check done and they found nothing anywhere! that i owed.Plus a brand new 2007 car! Ive had good credit everywhere I went.
I took his name and # and told him I was going to look into it further"HE WANTED MY INFORMATION TO CLOSE THE ACCOUNT!" he mentioned it 3 times till I got to hand up.So I called him today to ask him to send me copys of that account ticket he said THEY BOUGHT DIRECTLY FROM WHACKY WEATLYS IN 2002.Yet whackys have never in there years did there own financing they do through other financial services.....???Yet they had my last two addresses were I lived before and I had just received a call about it two days ago for the first time.I asked him why this wasnt on my credit report all this time and he couldnt tell me a thing,he didnt even want to listen he just wanted my CLOSING INFORMATION!he said I had a moral obligation to pay this...thats all! he didnt mention legal action once! on a 12 year old account??I think there grasping straws!....prey one people with accounts from years ago and call you on it! if it sounds legit most people would just pay it and be done with it.There rude a mean because they get a commission off every account closed.They dont get a dime till they get your info! be carfull!

murasame

Nov 6, 2006
your supposed "account" was active only 15yrs ago?
isn't there some general practice where after 7 years you're clear?
my brother had a load of debt when he was younger, and avoided his creditors saying after 7 years his 'accounts' would be cleared.
not sure if this is actually the case o_O`

kleh

Nov 8, 2006
very interesting, they have just started harassing me regarding a loan that i just paid off a few months ago (?) so far im been playin voicemail tag with em (im not the only one being rude, they are more so when they call back) verrrrrrrrrry sketchy

edit : today they tried to contact me at work??! wtf

enuffalready

Nov 10, 2006
Advice from Credit Bureau

According to Trans Union (Empoyee Zack #3161), they will remove anything from your report more than 6 years old from the date of FIRST delinquency. You have to contact Portfolio Management and request this information and report back to the credit bureau.

PMG purchased a block of delinquent accounts back in 2002 from CitiFinancial, Beneficial, The Associates and others. Then they went on a blitz to collect....Back in June 1997 I had credit with an electronics company through Beneficial who was bought out by The Associates. I fell under some hard times and wasn't able to pay in 1998/99. You get on with your life, one hard step after another, and you try to rebuild yourself and your credit. Years pass and you think that you are in the clear (5 1/2 years)...the along comes the PMG. Just before it is to fall off of your credit report, they refile and change the date to 2003 (not 1998) and you are tortured for another 6 years! There should be a statue of limitations on collections. They say it is 6 years, but it could be 24 at PMG's rate!

I have been advised by TU credit bureau to contact PMG and get proof of the first delinquent date. When I have that information, they can remove the blemish from my report. When I asked them what my options are if they will not provide me with this info, they said that they have to but if they don't - no advice. But don't despair.

I was curious after googling Portfolio Management and finding this site, so I researched further and found their site which lead me to the parent company AKTIVKAPITAL. Anyone who has been hounded by these individuals will find this to be a joke:

Debt Buying Division

Specializing in the distressed debt buying segment, Portfolio Management Group (PMG) purchases seemingly unrecoverable liabilities in exchange for instant revenue from a wide variety of clients. Currently, the largest debt buyer in Canada, we focus on utilizing our Signature Care methodologies to treat each customer with integrity and respect while providing rehabilitative payment solutions. All recovery activities are performed by our highly trained Account Representatives and are never sold to second party vendors. With this approach, you can be relieved of your in-house collection expenses and liabilities while remaining confident that your customers will always receive quality service reflecting positively upon your organization.

What do you think? If you have ever been hounded by this organization, you will agree with me. My advice is to start doing what I am: get a copy of your credit report, monitor it on a yearly basis at the very least, have things removed if they do not belong to you, or as in this case, the date for fall off has come and gone almost 3 years ago! Stand up for your rights and don't take the abuse and degradation from Portfolio Management Group for another minute. Report them to the authorities if they attempt to contact more than the law allows, or if they step out of line. You owe them money (and in some cases, not even that), not your life.

murasame

Nov 6, 2006
i totally agree with you.
if they're going against canadian regulations, or are doing anything else unethical or against the law, CALL THEM ON IT!
be the first to imply legal action!

question though:
Regarding that harassing collection person. The following is a portion of the Collection Agencies Act that I copied from the Ontario government website http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca
Collection Agencies Act
Loi sur les agences de recouvrement
R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 74
Amended to O. Reg. 103/06
Prohibited Practices and Methods in the Collection of Debts
(6) No collection agency or collector shall engage in conduct described in any of the following paragraphs with respect to the debtor, the debtor’s spouse, a member of the debtor’s family or household, a relative, neighbour, friend or acquaintance of the debtor, the debtor’s employer, a person who guaranteed the debt or a person mistakenly believed to be the debtor:
1. Make a telephone call or personal call at any of the following times, except at the request of the person being contacted:
i. On a Sunday, other than between the hours of 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. local time of the place where the contact is being made.
ii. On any day of the week other than a Sunday, between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. local time of the place where the contact is being made.
iii. Despite subparagraphs i and ii, on any holiday listed in subsection (7).
2. Contact the person more than three times in a seven-day period on behalf of the same creditor, subject to subsections (8) and (9).
3. Publish or threaten to publish the debtor’s failure to pay.
4. Use threatening, profane, intimidating or coercive language.
5. Use undue, excessive or unreasonable pressure.
6. Otherwise communicate in such a manner or with such frequency as to constitute harassment. O. Reg. 103/06, s. 2.
(7) For the purposes of subparagraph 1 iii of subsection (6), the following days are holidays:
1. New Year’s Day.
2. Good Friday.
3. Easter Monday.
4. Victoria Day.
5. Canada Day.
6. Civic Holiday.
7. Labour Day.
8. Thanksgiving Day.
9. Remembrance Day.
10. Christmas Day.
11. December 26.
12. Any day fixed as a holiday by proclamation of the Governor General or Lieutenant Governor. O. Reg. 103/06, s. 2.

where'd you get that?
i've checked the one i get through e-law here: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/90c14_e.htm
and i don't get that excerpt you posted when viewing the whole document.
i'm having major issues with CBCL (Canadian Bonded Credit Limited) and i could use the information you posted if it's correct.

<offtopic> do you have any information on CBCL? these guys are seriously harassing. i've already spoken to them and requested invoices as they say they're collection on behalf of amex, said i owe $722, yet said they have no record why, or what for, or what dates. i told them i won't pay without invoices showing this amount, and they said they would request them and to be patient. since then (nov1, 06) they've called my house every day, harassed my wife, told her every last detail about my account (isn't that against the Privacy Protection Act?), and said i was a liar and i'm avoiding them and hiding from them because i won't speak to them - even AFTER i called and spoke to 3 guys including a manager on november 1st of this year! my wife even gave them my work telephone # and extension, and they didn't call me there, they just keep calling home and harassing my wife while they know i'm not home, telling her to get me to settle my account with them! it's really ridiculous and any information about CBCL would really help, cheers </offtopic>

"things removed if they do not belong to you, or as in this case, the date for fall off has come and gone almost 3 years ago!"
by calling the company that you owe money to in order to get things removed, can't they claim that your account has once again become active?? just another simple question, cheers :)

Sugarplum

Nov 23, 2006
Portfolio Management

My husband starting getting automated calls around the beginning of this year, with a message about "an important business matter." As it turned out, it was Portfolio Management, but they did not say that in their message. As I have been encouraging him to correct his credit mistakes from before we met, and as I was tired of listening to these messages and not being able to do anything about them, I made him call. Apparently they wanted approximately $3000 of our money for a supposed debt that they were reluctant to elaborate on, and felt that he should repay in full immediately. I believe at some point it was mentioned that the amount could probably be reduced if he "co-operated." He insisted that they send him the details of this debt before he would agree to any repayment. After quite a long time, he finally got a letter in the mail that stated he owed People's jewellers $3000 but no dates or specifics. He told me that before we met (ie about 9 years ago) he had bought an engagement ring from People's but it was about $1000 and at least half of it had been repaid. So we got his credit report--from Equifax and Trans Union...and interestingly enough, there is NO MENTION OF A PEOPLE'S CREDIT CARD or of any debts (from any source) going to a collection agency. Which leads me to wonder...where do they get this crap from? Do they just pull names and dollar amounts out of their a**es and hope that people will just pay it without asking any questions??? Tomorrow he's going to make some calls to find out if they have any legal leg to stand on with their claim & requests, and then hopefully we can just tell them to go to h*ll. I'm interested to hear if anybody else has had similar experiences with Portfolio Management.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when he first spoke with them they said something about being unable to reach him by mail at his previous addresses. But yet we know the people at ALL of his previous addresses, and all of them have forwarded other mail to us, so why would they not have sent on a letter from Portfolio Management (unless there never was one!). Also, when my husband asked which address, they wouldn't tell him. Hmmm....

DJDaimon

Nov 25, 2006
No debt, but they contacted me too

I received the automated message on my answering machine this morning, but, despite returning the call within 30 minutes of its arrival, there was nobody at the office, and the mailbox I was directed to was full.

Prior to this, I sensed a scam and did a web search for the phone number, and got this:
http://publiccomplaints.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to June and you'll find some information about the author having an experience similar to that already shared.

I'd contacted Equifax earlier in the year to get my credit report, found an error on it, and have gotten them to open an investigation into it. I've also recently contacted TransUnion to get my credit report from them, and also get them to open an investigation if there are similar errors on it.

There's definitely something shifty going on with this company - I found it VERY weird that they contacted me at this time, by phone, leaving an anonymous message. I've notified Equifax and the Better Business Bureau of what is occurring, filing complaints with both agencies. When I get a chance, I'm also going to be phoning TransUnion.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
We have had a company call for over 2 years for some person that doesnt live here,we haqve never heard of ,we have no credit outstanding or ever had ,tried to call the phone company ,tried to contact finacial consumer services and tried to get there address to write them to stop ,lol ---Not paying to change the phone number ,Idont care I just let the answering machine pick up ,Im not spending any more time or money getting rid of them ,its funny now ,I just gave up ,nobody wanted to help ,I m not changing a thing ,one day Iwill fight when I have time -lol

pudge

Nov 27, 2006
any new info on "Porfolio Management Canada"?

I recently received aq message from this company, I haven't spoke with them yet but i was curious so I googled it. I came across this message board. From what I've read it seems like an allaborate scam. They do have a web site but it's not fully completed and seems a little fishy, some of the pages aren't finished and some redirect you to some other site. Does anyone have any useful info?

samarai

Jan 15, 2007
dealing with the likes of Portfolio Management Canada

you have to play hardball with them.
they will play hardball with you.
don't answer their calls.
do not accept calls from un-indentified callers, but rather call back if you have to.

i once settled a $30,000 debt for $1,500.00
that's how many cents on the dollar?

let them scream. just play dumb.

there's nothing they can do.
threats yes! but that 's it.

wait out the 7 years if you can. don't answer.
yes, you will pay a price.
that's better than declaring bankruptcy.

someone's who's digging themself out !

Dflex

Jan 16, 2007
Help!

Ok I recently have been getting phone calls from Portfolio Management Canada telling me that I owe 1.682 and 32 cents. They told me my previous address and even my brothers phone number as a contact. They said that I owe the bill with Bell Canada (never had a phone with them) and today I got a call saying that they need my CLOSING INFORMATION within the next 48 hours. Now apparently I owed this debt from 2002. I am 17 it is 2007 my birthday is in July and we moved from that place in Dec 2002. The account was open from Jun 2002 - Sept 2003 and they bought the account in 2005. Bell Canada never called me and they wouldnt (shouldent) have my cell phone number being that Ive never given it out (only to friends) I use my dad's office number. But they had mine AND my moms cell phone numbers..(its like they found it on some kind of phone book over the internet with fido being that its an unlisted number)

In 2002 when they said I had the account with Bell I was 12... my mom had a phone with Sprint and then Rodgers. Now they are trieing to tell me that I have to send a copy of my SIN number, my birth certificate, and my passport in to prove I am only 17. They wont believe me and they even know what school I went to :? . This is really getting to me and Ive no idea what to do. They said that my dad cant help me and that I will be held responsible.

From what Ive read on this thread they sound like a crock of sh** but they sounded very legit on the phone. My mom said not to send anything till they can prove that it was me. If anyone has anything on this send me an email at epiphany_inmypants@hotmail.com (yeah i know haha stole it from my bf cuz it was just so funny) Thank you.

sherry

Jan 31, 2007
Portfolio Management Canada

My story:
Well more then 1 year ago, I started gettting phone calls from an automated machine telling me its an urgent phone call.
They keep looking for two different people who don't live here, who I don't know, who I have never known. Its an automated message asked me to press 9 to connect with them. Seeing as how I was warned to never press numbers as asked, I haven't done so.
I have since subscribed to bells call block/privacy to stop these harrassing calls. I have blocked about 8 of their phone numbers. I called bell to see if I could get their help in the matter to get them to stop calling my home. They can't.
Their phone calls tie up my phone line for about 5-8 minutes after I hang up, once they have called.
At this time I didn't know that 1 866- was a safe number to call. I don't ever want to be stuck with a long distance charge that I didn't make, nor wanted to make, for something I never did. I play it safe, I can't afford to lose anything.

Any how. Today after receiving about the 60th phone call of the year, I called the number back (1-866-226-8881) ext 3002 since I snapped at that point. They called right at noon. After Bell assured me it was ok. I left a message to tell them to stop calling my phone, because that person doesn't live here and I don't know them. I didn't get a reply.
I then called back to ext 3001 and asked to speak to a manager. She "huffed" at me and I had to speak with her. After explaining the situation she became extremely rude to me! After all, this was THEIR mistake and not mine. She didn't even apologize to me! She seemed to have just blamed me out right for either not being one of these people. Then she blamed me for taking so long to call them back.
I have no name for the person with whom I have spoken with . She then hung up the phone on me. I have NO idea if they actually removed my phone number from their harrassment list.
I lost several days of work during the last season because they would call and tie up my phone line as my employment called (I am on casual) and they would call at the same time as my work. I didn't have call waiting at the time. Which is something else I was forced to subscribe to because of Portfolio Management Canada!

I would strongly advise anyone who has been dealing with this company to NOT give out any details at all to them. Don't tell them anything about yourself. I called them with a ligitimate complaint and they couldn't even handle ME! They weren't nice, they weren't helpful, and they were rude. That would tell me that the company is a fraud of some sort. Too bad I didn't get this evil persons name on the other end of the phone...

This is my experience... want advise? Just change your phone number if you can. Tell Bell whats happening and you can change it for free because of the situation.