Telus is the worst customer service

keenez

May 19, 2010
So here's my tale of Telus woes,

I signed up with Telus and I think the tv and internet have been pretty good, when it works. An issue that keeps popping up is that the modem will lose sync and I have to reboot the modem/router to get it working. Sometimes, it's every 15 minutes or so.

While I do use torrents, this has happened with nothing on but the set top box for TV.

Telus has sent 2 technicians but to no avail. They want to access the panel in my building but my building management requires a definitive specific time on a weekday as they have to maintenance personnel onsite and don't want him/her just sitting around and waiting for 2 hours (otherwise, they'll charge me for it). Telus won't commit to a specific time and keep telling me that I have to accept a window of time for a technician to come. Telus won't let me out of contract without paying the penalty. I am considering legal action at this point, especially if you call the technical issue line and the voice recording tells you to try rebooting your router or set top box to try and resolve the problem (ie, they know they have problems). The manager of the person I was dealing was suppose to call me but never did either.

I do not recommend Telus at this point. Ironic, I had to reboot the modem/router while typing this post.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I signed up with Telus and I think the tv and internet have been pretty good, when it works. An issue that keeps popping up is that the modem will lose sync and I have to reboot the modem/router to get it working. Sometimes, it's every 15 minutes or so.

While I do use torrents, this has happened with nothing on but the set top box for TV.

Telus has sent 2 technicians but to no avail. They want to access the panel in my building but my building management requires a definitive specific time on a weekday as they have to maintenance personnel onsite and don't want him/her just sitting around and waiting for 2 hours (otherwise, they'll charge me for it). Telus won't commit to a specific time and keep telling me that I have to accept a window of time for a technician to come. Telus won't let me out of contract without paying the penalty. I am considering legal action at this point, especially if you call the technical issue line and the voice recording tells you to try rebooting your router or set top box to try and resolve the problem (ie, they know they have problems). The manager of the person I was dealing was suppose to call me but never did either.

I do not recommend Telus at this point. Ironic, I had to reboot the modem/router while typing this post.

If you are thinking of switching to Shaw find out in advance what your monthly bill is going to be and get it in writing. I don't have any other problems with Shaw per se, it's just that I'm paying $150 a month for what I was told I'd be getting for less than $100, but I just took the girl's word for it over the phone without getting her I.D. or anything.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If you are thinking of switching to Shaw find out in advance what your monthly bill is going to be and get it in writing. I don't have any other problems with Shaw per se, it's just that I'm paying $150 a month for what I was told I'd be getting for less than $100, but I just took the girl's word for it over the phone without getting her I.D. or anything.
JLM go to the Shaw office. I did that and they printed off a sheet and outlined exactly what I have. She just used a highlighter to show me what we are now using in programming. That way you can see what you are paying for and tell them to eliminate what you don't want. You can probably reduce that bill by at least $50.00

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

All companies are bad. Shaw being one of the worst but Telus is not very accomodating either. If you are willing to consider legal action that is going to cost you anyway, why don't you just pay for the time you need for the guys to be there to fix it. They at least come on the day they say and within the time frame they give. Shaw doesn't come to fix anything for days after you call. Surely you can work something out with your landlord. Maybe your modem is hooped. We had trouble and we found out our modem was gone. Then we had Shaw install their telephone service (because we have to use Shaw where we live) and it really screwed up our internet. They had to come in and add even more equipment. We finally have working internet without any unusual interruptions.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Would it be this way if if was still BC Tel and owned by the people?

I guess you could look at Sasktel for comparison as it is still government held.

I don't think poor customer service is distinct to privately held companies though, I have had horrible customer service from the Toronto Transit Commission on multiple occasions.

You get underpaid CSR's with the private companies who could care less about your problem and you get overpaid CSR's with government entities who have a sense of entitlement and attitude to match. You can't win.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I guess you could look at Sasktel for comparison as it is still government held.
Sasktel is cutting edge and the profits are damn handy for offsetting taxes not to mention lowest rates in the country for the highest tech systems. Yeah public ownership is bad. LOL

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Sasktel is cutting edge and the profits are damn handy for offsetting taxes not to mention lowest rates in the country for the highest tech systems. Yeah public ownership is bad. LOL

I never said it was bad, I said you could use it as a comparison as you wondered if BC Tel would have better customer service if publicly held.

With what you said about Sasktel, none of it has to do with customer service. Since you live in Sask, do you have any experiences with their customer service?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I've only had to call them once. Service is flawless and yes we have telus here for wireless which apparently sucks ass.

ColleenAtTELUS

May 19, 2010
Hi there. This is Colleen from the social media team at TELUS. I'd like to help with your TELUS TV issue. As there is no contact information listed here, could you please send me your name, email address and telephone number to socialmediasupport@telus.com?

Thank you.
Colleen

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Thanks for dropping by Canadian Content, Colleen. I suppose this is the first official response we've had here from Telus.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Thanks for dropping by Canadian Content, Colleen. I suppose this is the first official response we've had here from Telus.

Wow. we got spammed by the windows 7 team once but never by an actual CSR. It truly is a new millennium.
Fyodor approves. ;-)

If you know what I mean. Tenpenny does. LOL

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Hi there. This is Colleen from the social media team at TELUS. I'd like to help with your TELUS TV issue. As there is no contact information listed here, could you please send me your name, email address and telephone number to socialmediasupport@telus.com?

Thank you.
Colleen

Hi Colleen, your avatar is hot.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sorry Colleen, but I have to tell you that as far as I am concerned Telus has a total bottom line attitude. The more they say they care, the less they really do. They will not spend a nickel unless they can see a huge return. Small returns don't matter.

By September, we will have high-speed here in the boonies. I will immediately be cancelling my account with Telus and using Skype for all my calls. May be then the calls and letters asking me to sign up for various plans or services will finally stop.

I switched to YAK years ago as my long distance carrier and I have never looked back. The most I have ever paid them for my calls was $13.56 and that was after my Dad died and my entire family and I were calling back and forth several times a day for many days.

My bill this month is $2.56.

If I don't have any long distance calls, I don't get a bill.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Colleen doesn't set the billing rates for Telus and even Telus understands there will always be cheaper providers of anything.

Her dropping in as a social media rep does show that they are proactive in a changing landscape. Most companies are completely out of touch when it comes to use of the internet and social media.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Shaw and Telus basically offer the same service. The thing that makes Shaw better is you don't have to sign a contract and if you want to discuss a bill with them in person they're more knowledgeable and accommodating of trying getting to resolve the issue where as Telus half the time their staff doesn't know anything and don't care..

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Would it be this way if if was still BC Tel and owned by the people?
It was a whole lot better when it was still Okanagan Tel long before Telus and BC Tel popped in. And yes - I think BC Tel was better.

Shaw and Telus basically offer the same service. The thing that makes Shaw better is you don't have to sign a contract and if you want to discuss a bill with them in person they're more knowledgeable and accommodating of trying getting to resolve the issue where as Telus half the time their staff doesn't know anything and don't care..
Surely you jest! I have had Shaw for 8 months. What junk. Our computer was down half the time at least. It was down again today for some reason - twice! They promised me a 1 year rate for my phone - $15.95 a month plus 4 cents a min. long distance. They made an offer via computer for us to have the super high speed internet. When I accepted the offer they told me it was sent to us in error and they couldn't give it to us for the price offered. We went right over to their office. No change. Customer service is horrible and I can tell you, it's the last office I would apply for work in. My last bill - (not right in front of me so I could be off a little) - Telephone $30.95 per month (not the 15.95 they quoted). Internet $50.00 plus another $10.00 for the super high speed which we didn't order and some $5.00 rebate toward internet so $55.00 for internet. We have to keep their TV for two reasons. Telus would not go the extra mile to see to it that they could connect us. So - in moving over to Shaw, we bought two PVR's from Shaw so we are stuck with them. We would have been better off to rent them. $5.00 per month and then we could have looked around at TV. Bell has the best TV - worst service. Telus uses Bell anyway for TV.
Received a mail out from Telus. They offered $59.95 inclusive for phone and internet and that includes call display and voicemail. We are paying $6.95 extra for the voicemail. Our long distance will still cost us 4 cents a min. No contract though and they of course reserve the right to change at anytime so I hope we don't run into a problem with them. Telus is much faster than Shaw is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It was a whole lot better when it was still Okanagan Tel long before Telus and BC Tel popped in. And yes - I think BC Tel was better.

Surely you jest! I have had Shaw for 8 months.

Unless it is a business phone I question the sense of paying anything for voice mail. I do have call display (for the first time in my life) because it was included in the price of the service. The way I look at it, our phone is for our convenience only. It's handy to be able to make a call when you want some information. With call display you can return important calls like the doctor or the dentist and the rest of them can try again if they think it's important. If it is important they WILL call back. My bro-in-law has the right attitude, if the phone rings while he's eating his lunch he just doesn't anwer it.