Redirecting Virus?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Anybody know how to get rid of it? I have superantispyware and Avast and it's still there.

When I open a search and find the thing I want, clicking on it just sends me to another search engine...

sometimes it tells me the page contains no data or was interrupted...

:angryfire:frustration is a mild word for how it's making me feel...:angryfire:

any advice?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
yep, doesn't work. won't let me update the for spybot. It's a tricky ****er.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Twila, why don't you try this tool that I used to hunt out and kill that "XP Antivirus 2009" thing
as, worst case, it doesn't do anything...and you just delete it. It costs nothing either...

It can be found at: XPAntivirus 2009 Removal Guide - MS Windows Vista Compatible Software and is called SmitFraudFix.

Just follow the eleven steps. It may or may not catch it, but you don't know if you don't try. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
yep, doesn't work. won't let me update the for spybot. It's a tricky ****er.

It's probably some kind of hijack that you have consented to then. I would try scouring programs you've added recently, any add ons (tool bars, screen savers etc) and services (go through Start ->Run-> "msconfig").

Try Rons's solution first. My solution is a little harsh and like clear cutting. You could avoid all that hassle by doing a system restore too.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Scott, this is the same problem as before. Everytime I think AH HA! I've got it, bam! it's back or never really gone.

thank you both, Scott and Ron, for your help. I shall give the smitfix a whirl.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Twila, why don't you try this tool that I used to hunt out and kill that "XP Antivirus 2009" thing
as, worst case, it doesn't do anything...and you just delete it. It costs nothing either...

It can be found at: XPAntivirus 2009 Removal Guide - MS Windows Vista Compatible Software and is called SmitFraudFix.

Just follow the eleven steps. It may or may not catch it, but you don't know if you don't try. Good Luck!

G'Day Ron,

Firefox in response to this gave me a new application: `AdBlock Plus`. And Firefox 3.0.3 updated as well. Must be an S.O.B. thing!

regards,
scratch

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
G'Day Scratch,
I haven't tried the Firefox thing at home yet, as I hit the computer for 5-10 minutes and walk
away for an hour or two, and repeat. I will check it out this weekend though, and I do appreciate
the advice.

This thing I picked up (and managed to squash...this time) is only the second time anything
like this has happened to me in about a decade. That's twice too many though. The last one
was about 6-7 years ago and the kids (they're men now) where on some video game cheat
code site and picked something up. I don't remember much about it now, other than being
really P.O.'d at the time....the Virus & Malware stuff seems to be getting worse and not
better lately.

Here's my question. If I install this FireFox on my computer, will it conflict with other things
like AVG or Ad-Aware, etc?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Ron,

Honestly I do not know.

What I do know is that Zan and karrie use Firefox and seem satisfied but haven't attached SpamAssassin to it.

Perhaps the best thing to do is try Firefox first.

Sincere Regards,
scratch

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Twila, I recently managed to get a malware agent on one of my pcs and after running a bunch of different programs to get rid of it, only "Combofix" did the trick. Because the software is somewhat more advanced than the typical point, click and scan programs out there, there are some preventative measures to be taken before running the program but they are all listed at A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix along with a download link.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Thanks Andem. Looks like i'll have some studying to do this weekend... btw love your avatar. Have you played Little Big Planet? and if so, is it as much fun as it looks?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
ELEVEN steps for SmitFraudFix!?!? Damn! Sounds like I have some more puttering around to do yet! I thought I sent ol' FRED here to the neitherworld a couple of times. Aw heck ... all the black screens and flashy things are almost worth the price of admission....

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
ELEVEN steps for SmitFraudFix!?!? Damn! Sounds like I have some more puttering around to do yet! I thought I sent ol' FRED here to the neitherworld a couple of times. Aw heck ... all the black screens and flashy things are almost worth the price of admission....

Most of the steps are most likely common sense to someone less computer challenged as
myself....but it's put out step by step for someone like me who is very non-techie...so that
they're not making assumptions about my computer competence level. I like it simple and
step by step, assuming I know nothing when it comes to something like this. Way less
frustrating (whether it works or not) if you know you've done it exactly as they state, so
if it doesn't work, it's not due to your (OK...my) lack of knowledge.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmmph! I'm more the plug-it-in-and-hope-it-works sorta techie. Up until a few years ago, outside of the Instant Teller, all I had to do with computers was to occasionally haul a load of them.