Warming temperatures and melting glaciers are accelerating Arctic warming

mentalfloss
+1

2015 was a record year for high temperatures and melting glaciers in western Greenland, a heating effect that is amplifying itself and could lead to accelerated warming in the Arctic.

A new report from the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University attributes the warming to a shift in the jet stream that brought higher temperatures to much more northerly latitudes than normal last year.

The warmer air and melting ice magnify each other in a feedback loop called Arctic amplification.

In the same way that white clothing feels cooler than black on a sunny summer day, white ice reflects sunlight, keeping temperatures at the surface low. When the ice melts, dark sea water and dark land are exposed. These absorb sunlight rather than reflecting it, thus raising temperatures and causing more melting. The cycle continues, and even speeds up, as the dark areas grow larger and white ice disappears.

This is one reason the Arctic is heating up faster than other parts of the globe.

A similar feedback loop has been taking place over the Arctic Ocean, with the increasing loss of sea ice each summer. This has warmed the ocean waters.

Many scientists believe that the warmer Arctic air has also affected the shape of the jet stream, causing it to be more wavy, with troughs dipping farther south and ridges looping farther north. That shift delivered last winter's extra cold temperatures over central North America, and brought warm air over Greenland.

The jet stream is the boundary between cold polar air and warm tropical air, a river of fast moving air that circles the globe like the soft brim of a floppy hat. When the temperature difference between northern cold and tropical warmth is large, the waves in the jet stream tend to smooth out more, but when the Arctic warms up and that difference shrinks, the stream becomes more wavy.

We don't know whether this change in shape of the jet stream is due to human-induced climate change at this point, because records on its shape don't go back far enough, but the effect is there.

Warming temperatures and melting glaciers are accelerating Arctic warming: Bob McDonald - Technology & Science - CBC News

MHz
+1
I doubt the same theory can include this warming so they must have something else in common.

Ten Degrees Above Average, Alaska is Having Its Hottest Year Since Records Began | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community (external - login to view)

mentalfloss
I'm sure there is nothing in common between the two

Tecumsehsbones

mentalfloss
+1
Cool Trudeau pic.

captain morgan
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
Excellent pict of Trudeau with his war face on.

I expect that he's just about to elbow the kid any moment

mentalfloss
+1
Ladies first.

Babies after he wins the next election.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Ladies first.

Are you afraid of being first?

he's an angry man, and needs help

pgs
+2
From the very first line , ( could lead to accelerated warming .)
\They left the part out were they may not do anything .

petros
+1

I'm sure there is nothing in common between the two

There is, both are nothing to worry about.

Hottest 125 years out of 7B eh? Amazing.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

There is, both are nothing to worry about.

Hottest 125 years out of 7B eh? Amazing.

Was that supposed to mean something?

pgs

Was that supposed to mean something?

The climate could change .

mentalfloss
And?

captain morgan
And if left unchecked, we could end up with an ice free North pole since 2013.

That's what

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

I doubt the same theory can include this warming so they must have something else in common.

Ten Degrees Above Average, Alaska is Having Its Hottest Year Since Records Began | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community (external - login to view)

Somehow I doubt anyone in Alaska is complaining about their rare good fortune.

2015 was a record year for high temperatures and melting glaciers in western Greenland, a heating effect that is amplifying itself and could lead to accelerated warming in the Arctic.

A new report from the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University attributes the warming to a shift in the jet stream that brought higher temperatures to much more northerly latitudes than normal last year.

The warmer air and melting ice magnify each other in a feedback loop called Arctic amplification.

In the same way that white clothing feels cooler than black on a sunny summer day, white ice reflects sunlight, keeping temperatures at the surface low. When the ice melts, dark sea water and dark land are exposed. These absorb sunlight rather than reflecting it, thus raising temperatures and causing more melting. The cycle continues, and even speeds up, as the dark areas grow larger and white ice disappears.

This is one reason the Arctic is heating up faster than other parts of the globe.

A similar feedback loop has been taking place over the Arctic Ocean, with the increasing loss of sea ice each summer. This has warmed the ocean waters.

Many scientists believe that the warmer Arctic air has also affected the shape of the jet stream, causing it to be more wavy, with troughs dipping farther south and ridges looping farther north. That shift delivered last winter's extra cold temperatures over central North America, and brought warm air over Greenland.

The jet stream is the boundary between cold polar air and warm tropical air, a river of fast moving air that circles the globe like the soft brim of a floppy hat. When the temperature difference between northern cold and tropical warmth is large, the waves in the jet stream tend to smooth out more, but when the Arctic warms up and that difference shrinks, the stream becomes more wavy.

We don't know whether this change in shape of the jet stream is due to human-induced climate change at this point, because records on its shape don't go back far enough, but the effect is there.

Warming temperatures and melting glaciers are accelerating Arctic warming: Bob McDonald - Technology & Science - CBC News

So how is that ice free arctic by 2013 working out for you?

B00Mer
I wonder if the carbon and smoke from the Fort Mac fires help in Global cooling??

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Somehow I doubt anyone in Alaska is complaining about their rare good fortune.

Why would they? If it could be shown that it would be a long-term change the property value would go up. Would it be 'frost free' due to the Pacific warming and that warms the air that blows over the land (as rain) or rising magma at the Pacific Rift flows nuder Alaska but the 'warmer magma' transfers heat to the crust and when that reaches the surface that warms the land. (like Greenland is warmed the same way when Iceland sends hot magma westward and it meat we eastward flowing magma from the rift that is between Greenland and Canada. (that rift also sends magma to the west and it meets the eastward from that comes under Alaska)

The North Pole section starts at 8:00

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchvoJfBSc6e7QQ

Wake
At what point will the lies cease?

Scientists balk at ‘hottest year’ claims: Ignores Satellites showing 18 Year ‘Pause’ – (external - login to view)

MHz
+1
When the OP gets a life, Whoops probably too late for that to happen.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by WakeView Post

At what point will the lies cease?

Scientists balk at ‘hottest year’ claims: Ignores Satellites showing 18 Year ‘Pause’ – (external - login to view)

Currently there is a great deal of money to be made in pushing the globull warming lie by people that do not have real jobs. When the majority of people discover they have been scammed the lie will cease.

Wake
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Currently there is a great deal of money to be made in pushing the globull warming lie by people that do not have real jobs. When the majority of people discover they have been scammed the lie will cease.

I don't know how that is going to happen. The media is the tool of the "environmentalist wackos" and they simply do not report anything that might oppose the belief system of their masters.

Scientists are finally getting off of their butts and showing what a HUGE lie is being perpetrated but none of it is getting out.

Climate Change: No, It (external - login to view)

The Four Known Scientific Ways Carbon Dioxide Cools Earth's Climate - Principia Scientific International (external - login to view)

Possible other sources of CO2 that would be attributed to man but aren't: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/meet...i/Paper/121762 (external - login to view)

lone wolf
As far as I know, melting ice does not create its own heat

MHz
The heat is coming from the sea-floor.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv67scha3uzH8

UNKNOWN "Anomaly" Heating Pacific Ocean! 2/19/17

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

The heat is coming from the sea-floor.

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv67scha3uzH8

UNKNOWN "Anomaly" Heating Pacific Ocean! 2/19/17

It's coming from megatons of rotting garbage in the Pacific and the Atlantic. I would say that constitutes human origins... but then, no amount of facts would deter you and other deniers.

What America will look like under the new head of the EPA:

Do you get the picture?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

As far as I know, melting ice does not create its own heat

I believe it absorbs heat. Which is why ice blocks worked so well as refrigerators before they had the electric type.

Cliffy

captain morgan
OMG!

It's all starting to some together, starting with an ice-free North pole by 2013!

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I believe it absorbs heat. Which is why ice blocks worked so well as refrigerators before they had the electric type.

No shyte?

Bar Sinister
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WakeView Post

I don't know how that is going to happen. The media is the tool of the "environmentalist wackos" and they simply do not report anything that might oppose the belief system of their masters.

Scientists are finally getting off of their butts and showing what a HUGE lie is being perpetrated but none of it is getting out.

Climate Change: No, It (external - login to view)

The Four Known Scientific Ways Carbon Dioxide Cools Earth's Climate - Principia Scientific International (external - login to view)

Possible other sources of CO2 that would be attributed to man but aren't: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/meet...i/Paper/121762 (external - login to view)

You got the part about scientists right. They are finally waking up to the nonsense perpetrated by the AWG nuts financed by the coal and oil industries.