Global warming: second thoughts of an environmentalist

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Fritz Vahrenholt, one of Germany's earliest green energy investors, is not convinced that humanity is causing catastrophic global warming.

Scientists of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) are quite certain: by using fossil fuels man is currently destroying the climate and our future. We have one last chance, we are told: quickly renounce modern industrial society – painfully but for a good cause.

For many years, I was an active supporter of the IPCC and its CO2 theory. Recent experience with the UN's climate panel, however, forced me to reassess my position. In February 2010, I was invited as a reviewer for the IPCC report on renewable energy. I realised that the drafting of the report was done in anything but a scientific manner. The report was littered with errors and a member of Greenpeace edited the final version. These developments shocked me. I thought, if such things can happen in this report, then they might happen in other IPCC reports too.

Good practice requires double-checking the facts. After all, geoscientists have checked the pre-industrial climate, over the past 10,000 years: this isolates natural climate drivers. According to the IPCC, natural factors hardly play any role in today's climate so we would expect a rather flat and boring climate history.

Far from it: real, hard data from ice cores, dripstones, tree rings and ocean or lake sediment cores reveal significant temperature changes of more than 1°C, with warm and cold phases alternating in a 1,000-year cycle. These include the Minoan Warm Period 3,000 years ago and the Roman Warm Period 2,000 years ago. During the Medieval Warm Phase around 1,000 years ago, Greenland was colonised and grapes for wine grew in England. The Little Ice Age lasted from the 15th to the 19th century. All these fluctuations occurred before man-made CO2.

Based on climate reconstructions from North Atlantic deep-sea sediment cores, Professor Gerard Bond discovered that the millennial-scale climate cycles ran largely parallel to solar cycles, including the Eddy Cycle which is – guess what – 1,000 years long. So it is really the Sun that shaped the temperature roller-coaster of the past 10,000 years.

more

Global warming: second thoughts of an environmentalist - Telegraph

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
More and more dirt shoveled on climate change liars. I like it!

Interesting, I just drove through a snow storm on top of hwy 5 in BC.. in the middle of July.

I think there is climate change.. stronger tornadoes and hurricanes, so how do you explain this??..

...or do you just close your eyes and it all goes away?

[youtube]EsQcIN2eWSo[/youtube]

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Glass house.

Here's an interview Fritz gave to Der Spiegel:
Breaking Global Warming Taboos: 'I Feel Duped on Climate Change' - SPIEGEL ONLINE
The long version of the IPCC report does mention natural causes of climate change, like the sun and oscillating ocean currents. But they no longer appear in the summary for politicians. They were simply edited out.
And here's some quotes from the Summary for Policymakers report, what it actually says, not what Fritz either imagined or just lied about:
The Working Group I contribution to the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report describes progress in understanding of the human and natural drivers of climate change, observed climate change, climate processes and attribution, and estimates of projected future climate change.
Changes in solar irradiance since 1750 are estimated to cause a radiative forcing of +0.12 [+0.06 to +0.30] W m–2, which is less than half the estimate given in the TAR
It is very unlikely that climate changes of at least the seven centuries prior to 1950 were due to variability generated within the climate system alone. A significant fraction of the reconstructed Northern Hemisphere inter-decadal temperature variability over those centuries is very likely attributable to volcanic eruptions and changes in solar irradiance, and it is likely that anthropogenic forcing contributed to the early 20th century warming evident in these records.
The observed widespread warming of the atmosphere and ocean, together with ice mass loss, support the conclusion that it is extremely unlikely that global climate change of the past 50 years can be explained without external forcing, and very likely that it is not due to known natural causes alone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Interesting, I just drove through a snow storm on top of hwy 5 in BC.. in the middle of July.

I think there is climate change.. stronger tornadoes and hurricanes, so how do you explain this??..

They set their clocks a month ahead up there?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
By the time they have this "Global Warming" figured out we'll probably be worrying about a bigger problem- half the world will be starving while the other half is killing themselves with obesity. :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Based on climate reconstructions from North Atlantic deep-sea sediment cores, Professor Gerard Bond discovered that the millennial-scale climate cycles ran largely parallel to solar cycles, including the Eddy Cycle which is – guess what – 1,000 years long. So it is really the Sun that shaped the temperature roller-coaster of the past 10,000 years.

The sun is the culprit, eh?... Whoda thunk it

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
By the time they have this "Global Warming" figured out we'll probably be worrying about a bigger problem- half the world will be starving while the other half is killing themselves with obesity. :smile:
Very little starvation compared to 40 years ago thanks to Norman Borlaug.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's not called "Global Warming" anymore... it's called Climate Change, and I think any reasonable person can see the changes going on around the world..

What's the cause, I dunno. Man made, or natural evolution.

Is there any doubt 7 billion humans have an effect on climate, kicking up all the pollution we do and stripping rain forests that help produce oxygen for us to breath, it would be ignorant to think anything else..

[youtube]qYYK-2sDN4U[/youtube]

I think you would basically have to have your head up your ass to think that humanity does not in some way impact our climate, in several ways..

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think that all that's left is to have an episode of Matlock wherein the Sun is placed on the stand and our heroic Matlock cleverly gets the sun to admit that it is indeed the villain....
Except the finger prints on the evidence don't match that of the sun. Though I can see the appeal of having something like that on Matlock. The demographic is more friendly to the pseudo-skeptics.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle

Other than it is now the middle of June, i don't give a ratz azz.
I don't intend to be guilt tripped and pushed around by peeps who are gaining wealth and notoriety by yelling that the sky is falling. If they absolutely taught by example and gave some proof of same i would be (slightly) more amenable.
So many decades of so called "climate scientists or climatologists et al" being proven wrong on so many levels means i have accept "but we are right this time"? Just ONE eg, Al Gore's opportunistic lies are carefully ignored by those who would social engineer us for profit.

Now that being said i know damn well that climate change is a normal progression and if in fact humans have a real serious impact then peeps in the western world can do zilch until those in the eastern world get onboard, take your agenda to the Chinese, Middle East, South Asians, Russians, etc who out number us several hundred to one regarding both population and polluting industries and habits. Green initiatives for us are a sick joke given a world wide context.

As a person who has spent my life being rural and frugal, often of necessity, but mostly just by following family example, i am NOT prepared to go further so citiots can continue to ignore my contribution.
We reuse and recycle nearly everything we touch. Our well water is used sparingly, we grow our own food in the time honored "organic" way. My wife used cloth diapers even long after Pampers became a household name. I have used nearly all second hand lumber for my buildings and used wire for my fences. Used parts in my old vehicle.
As soon as the arrogant urban assholes can say they have done as much for the environment i will sign on.

If advocates of human caused climate change wake up and accept that the burgeoning world population means our demise, they will have to accept some very unpopular "solutions" that do not point to everyone riding bicycles, driving electric cars, and turning off the lights.
There is simply no honesty or cooperation regarding the real problem, just a proliferation of Ostriches.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Other than it is now the middle of June, i don't give a ratz azz.

warmer places are getting hotter
colder places are getting colder
humidity is increasing in some areas and dryness in others
increased intensity of storms and frequency
global temp change
rising sea level
ground temp increase

many affects... including... lack of fresh water for island communities, droughts in deserts, more hurricanes, loss of species... potential collapse of entire ecosystems. etc etc

You want proof, or examples.. o.k.

Mountain glaciers in Canada and around the world have significant melting..

http://www.icimod.org/?q=5934

Vatican-Commissioned Report Calls Attention to Glaciers | Planetsave

There is evidence of climate change in the past 100 years, to say humanity has not impacted this, is ignorant.. Look at the population of the earth in 1928 a couple of billion to today 7 billion (give or take a few).. we are pushing more pollutants into the air at a much faster rate.. of course this will effect our climate..

Look, I know we need the Alberta Oil Sands, and other resources.. but we need to seriously get moving on better use of the resources.

I don't understand why Canada does not have a Hydrogen Hwy like in Norway. We could use the Natural Gas to create hydrogen which is a clean process and burn that off leaving only water..

Norway's Hydrogen Highway

[youtube]sdYMTtbS3u0[/youtube]

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hey BOOMer. You ever notice how much cooler it is in areas where there are a lot of densely packed second or third generation growth trees?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Hey BOOMer. You ever notice how much cooler it is in areas where there are a lot of densely packed second or third generation growth trees?

You mean where "humans" have clear cut trees and then replanted.. yes, also a higher moisture retention level as well.

You see that in some areas along the Coquihalla hwy, the snow is lasting longer on the ground because of it.. the sun can't reach the ground to melt it off..

Photo taken 3 days ago..The above pic shows the snow still on the ground and that black spot is a black bear.

The following link is a short movie, I was outside my truck taking a piss and turned around to see a black bear, you can hear the truck in the background.. I didn't stay outside the truck very long...

http://www.metroplexautos.com/images/2012-06-08_06-08-17_779.mp4

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You mean where "humans" have clear cut trees and then replanted.. yes, also a higher moisture retention level as well.

You see that in some area along the Coquihalla hwy, the snow is lasting longer on the ground because of it.. the sun can't reach the ground to melt it off..

Yep. I was just curious if you had ever noticed that.