The ten Commandments

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com

THE FIRST COMMANDMENT
I am the LORD your God, You shall not have strange gods before me. [Ex 20:2-5] "You shall adore the Lord your God only and him only shall you serve."[Mt 4:10]

Am I keeping this commandment?
  • Do I give God time every day in prayer?
  • Do I seek to love Him with my whole heart?
  • Have I been involved with superstitious practices or have I been involved with the occult?
  • Do I seek to surrender myself to God's Word as taught by the Church?
  • Have I ever received Communion in a state of mortal sin?
  • Have I ever deliberately told a lie in confession or have I withheld a mortal sin from the priest in confession?
THE SECOND COMMANDMENT
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.[Ex 20:7] You have heard that it was said to the men of old, "You shall not swear falsely. . But I say to you, Do not swear at all.[Mt 5:33-34]

• Have I used God's name in vain: lightly or carelessly?
  • Have I been angry with God?
  • Have I wished evil upon another person?
  • Have I insulted a sacred person or abused a sacred object?
THE THIRD COMMANDMENT
Remember that you keep holy the Lord's day. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work.[Ex 20:8-10]
The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath; so the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.[Mk 2:27-28]

• Have I deliberately missed Mass on Sundays or Holy Days of Obligation?
  • Have I tried to observe Sunday as a family day and a day of rest?
  • Do I do needless work on Sunday?
THE FOURTH COMMANDMENT
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you.[Ex 20:12; Deut 5:16]

• Do I honour and obey my parents?
  • Have I neglected my duties to my spouse and children?
  • Have I given my family good religious example?
  • Do I try to bring peace into my home life?
  • Do I care for my aged and infirm relatives?
THE FIFTH COMMANDMENT
You shall not kill.[Ex 20:13; Cf. Deut 5:17]
You have heard that it was said to the men of old, "You shall not kill: and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment."
But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment.[Mt 5:21-22]

• Have I had an abortion or encouraged anyone to have an abortion?
  • Have I physically harmed anyone?
  • have I abused alcohol or drugs?
  • Did I give scandal to anyone, thereby leading them into sin?
  • Have I been angry or resentful?
  • Have I harbored hatred in my heart?
  • Have I mutilated myself through any form of sterilization?
  • Have I encouraged or condoned sterilization?
THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT
You shall not commit adultery.[EX 20:14; Deut 5:18] You have heard that it was said, "You shall not commit adultery." But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.[Mt 5:27-28]

• Have I been faithful to my marriage vows in thought and action?
  • Have I engaged in any sexual activity outside of marriage?
  • Have I used any method of contraception or artificial birth control in my marriage?
  • Has each sexual act in my marriage been open to the transmission of new life?
  • Have I been guilty of masturbation?
  • Have I sought to control my thoughts?
  • Have I respected all members of the opposite sex, or have I thought of other people as objects?
  • Have I been guilty of any homosexual activity?
  • Do I seek to be chaste in my thoughts, words and actions?
  • Am I careful to dress modestly?
THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT
You shall not steal.[EX 20:15; Deut 5:19; Mt 19:18]

• Have I stolen what is not mine?
  • Have I returned or made restitution for what I have stolen?
  • Do I waste time at work, school or at home?
  • Do I gamble excessively, thereby denying my family of their needs?
  • Do I pay my debts promptly?
  • Do I seek to share what I have with the poor?
THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.[EX 20:16; Cf. Deut 5:20]

• Have I lied?
  • Have I gossiped?
  • Have I spoken behind someone else's back?
  • Am I sincere in my dealings with others?
  • Am I critical, negative or uncharitable in my thoughts of others?
  • Do I keep secret what should be kept confidential?
THE NINTH COMMANDMENT
You shall not desire your neighbor's wife [Ex 20:17]
Every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.[Mt 5:28]

• Have I consented to impure thoughts?
  • Have I caused them by impure reading, movies, conversations or curiosity?
  • Do I seek to control my imagination?
  • Do I pray at once to banish impure thoughts and temptations?
THE TENTH COMMANDMENT
You shall not desire your neigbor's goods [EX 20:17; Deut 5:21]

• Am I jealous of what other people have?
  • Do I envy the families or possessions of others?
  • Am I greedy or selfish?
  • Are material possessions the purpose of my life?
  • Do I trust that God will care for all of my material and spiritual needs?
    file:///C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Stationery/Sin.htmfile:///C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Stationery/Sin7.htmfile:///C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Stationery/Sin9.htmfile:///C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Stationery/#topfile:///C:/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/twgteach.htm​

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Considering essentially EVERY one of those ten commandments boils down to ignorance (ignorance of the sanctity of life, ignorance of the union of marrage, ignorance of god etc) don't you find your being a little ignorant of the fact that most people dont give two hoots about the 10 commandments anymore?

Ironic that.

Daz

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Considering essentially EVERY one of those ten commandments boils down to ignorance (ignorance of the sanctity of life, ignorance of the union of marrage, ignorance of god etc) don't you find your being a little ignorant of the fact that most people dont give two hoots about the 10 commandments anymore?

Ironic that.

Daz

I would suggest you are basing your opinion on your own self, for millions upon millions of people gather together on Sunday mornings who still give more than "2 hoots" about the Ten Commandments. In fact, this past Sunday, I shared the Sacrifice of the Mass with 300 of them myself.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Those found under jewish law. Remember the Torah? Yes, the books the jesus character upheld.

I asked you before if you were a jesusite or a paulist, remember?

If people followed the supposed jesus teachings, they would be jewish and upholding the jewish laws (commandments).

Do you eat pork, for example?

But then the argument can be made for the laws being outmoded.
Much like the 10 the christians kept can be said to be outmoded.

Don't forget you have those 10 as a social contract, a basis to hold a society together, set forth by MEN.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
To be honest Sanctus, I realise it might be different in Canada, but certainly in the UK (supposedly a christian secular society) virutally no-one goes to church anymore, not even the self-confessed christians, besides which, who's to say I'm using rampant generalisations here?.

The ten commandments could be put into one anyway: "Dont be ignorant...about anything"

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Do you eat pork, for example?

But then the argument can be made for the laws being outmoded.
Much like the 10 the christians kept can be said to be outmoded.

Don't forget you have those 10 as a social contract, a basis to hold a society together, set forth by MEN.

Jesus is the beginning of the New Testemant, the new convenant with the Church. The Levitical prohibitions, they were not laws, were done away with.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
ahh... jesus came to uphold the law!

that is something altered by the creators of the christianity.

Amazing how a bunch of men who didn't even know the jesus character were so well informed as to be able to put words in his mouth, and know his message better than he himself did.

That is why the god character sent his message to Mohammad to set the record straight! There was not to be any idolatry under abrahams aparition, and those christians are great idolators!

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
ahh... jesus came to uphold the law!

that is something altered by the creators of the christianity.

Amazing how a bunch!

Funny, I just has a similar conversation today, but in all honesty, it never fails to amaze me how easily non-believers find it to lecture Christians on what they should and should not believe. Thank you for clearing this up, what in heaven's name would I know, having studied the Scriptures after all..sheesh...

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
you started a thread on "the one true church".
in our previous conversations you have rejected any history that does not have the seal of the RC church.

it sounds a little myoptic to me.
you may know your RC version quite well, but that is not the entire history.

(i know, i know, you don't accept that the bible is a work of men.... we talked about this before, including the numerous translation errors, how christianity is a mixture of judaism with many pagan beliefs, the real reason why "jesus was born" on dec 25, etc).

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
you started a thread on "the one true church".
in our previous conversations you have rejected any history that does not have the seal of the RC church.

it sounds a little myoptic to me.
you may know your RC version quite well, but that is not the entire history.

(i know, i know, you don't accept that the bible is a work of men.... we talked about this before, including the numerous translation errors, how christianity is a mixture of judaism with many pagan beliefs, the real reason why "jesus was born" on dec 25, etc).

Why thank you for clearing all this up for me. Interesting that those who have never studied theology or taken a course in Biblical exegesis are such authorites!However could we get on as we do without the insight of non-believers to clarify our faith for us!

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
why so defensive? how do you know what I have studied? How is it that because I look at the bigger picture somehow I have not studied your religion?

Sounds an awful lot like that classical excuse of "you have to have faith to understand".

Sorry, if requires faith, and goes against the bigger body of knowlege, it isn't worth anything to me.

I would so much like to really hear your RC perspective, but there is no need to be testy.

So why, according to your RC teachings, do you reject the laws of the jewish tradition?
If you don't believe christianity is a mixture of judaism and pagan religions, why are there so many pagan symbols found in the RC? Why do the big dates of the church coincide with earlier pagan dates (christmas=solstice, easter=ester, etc)?

Last edited:

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
why so defensive? how do you know what I have studied? How is it that because I look at the bigger picture somehow I have not studied your religion?

Sounds an awful lot like that classical excuse of "you have to have faith to understand".

Sorry, if requires faith, and goes against the bigger body of knowlege, it isn't worth anything to me.

I am not defensive, but sometimes I get weary of non-members declaring what it is we do and do not believe. It befuddles me, to be honest with you, how those outside our faith seem to think they know more than us within it.

I am a bit tired this evening though, so perhaps that is why such useless debates weary me....my apologies if I am being rude.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
It interests me to hear your position as a priest as outside of academia my exposure to RC specifics has been through "recovering catholics". I have never heard a priest's perspective so I am curious to compare your explanations to the historical record (this relates only to specifics about the rituals and traditions of the RC, not to whether or not abraham's apparition is real or not).

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
well, he said he did not come to change the law, and as a practicing jew that would mean if you followed jesus and not those that used his supposed words after the fact, you would be a JEW!