Conversations with God

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
No I haven't Said1 what is it about?

I did read Marly and me this summer, it is a short read but if you like dogs you must read this book. I laughed and cried, it was a wonderful book.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
I have not read it, but I have talked to people that found it helpful in their own deconstructing the Christian mythology they were raised under.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
No I haven't Said1 what is it about?

I did read Marly and me this summer, it is a short read but if you like dogs you must read this book. I laughed and cried, it was a wonderful book.

What's it about? It's certainly not very Christian, in fact, I have a feeling most Christians would toss it on the fire with the rest of the new age books. I'm not very religious nor am I interested in new age gurus, but I like what he has to say so far.

Here's what wiki says:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversations_with_God

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hi Said 1,
I've read the trilogy, as well as a few more of Neal Donald Walsh's books.... since I read them at a time in my life when I was actively questioning and redefining my concepts of faith, self, religion etc, they were very helpful in providing me with a new outlook. Opened my heart and mind to greater possibilities, provided me with the impetus to look at my own life, judgements, preconceived notions of right vs wrong etc. with new eyes. That said, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts if you decide to read the trilogy. He continued to churn out many books after the initial three, none of which really seemed to be saying anything new. He has, since writing those books, gone on to become a bit of a 'guru' I suppose you could say, at least to some people... he now has an organization that offers retreats, workshops, study materials etc... at what I consider to be fairly steep prices... not necessarily in line with some of his writings, imo... at any rate, his books also resulted in a discussion forum for like-minded people - which has now split off from having any direct affiliation with Neal Donald Walsh - at his request - and I believe a new forum was established that focuses only on the message of the Conversations with God series. The old forum still exists, however, as it had become quite a community by the time Mr. Walsh disolved his connection with it. Anyway, hope to hear more from you as you read through the books! Enjoy !! ;)

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Hi Said 1,
I've read the trilogy, as well as a few more of Neal Donald Walsh's books.... since I read them at a time in my life when I was actively questioning and redefining my concepts of faith, self, religion etc, they were very helpful in providing me with a new outlook. Opened my heart and mind to greater possibilities, provided me with the impetus to look at my own life, judgements, preconceived notions of right vs wrong etc. with new eyes. That said, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts if you decide to read the trilogy. He continued to churn out many books after the initial three, none of which really seemed to be saying anything new. He has, since writing those books, gone on to become a bit of a 'guru' I suppose you could say, at least to some people... he now has an organization that offers retreats, workshops, study materials etc... at what I consider to be fairly steep prices... not necessarily in line with some of his writings, imo... at any rate, his books also resulted in a discussion forum for like-minded people - which has now split off from having any direct affiliation with Neal Donald Walsh - at his request - and I believe a new forum was established that focuses only on the message of the Conversations with God series. The old forum still exists, however, as it had become quite a community by the time Mr. Walsh disolved his connection with it. Anyway, hope to hear more from you as you read through the books! Enjoy !! ;)

I like a lot of his answers thus far but am disappointed to read he's been elevated to such an exulted status. LOL.

There are many things he says that do not stray far from the writings of other newagers but I'm enjoying his use of scripture to illustrate many of his points.

So far, this is what has stuck with me the most:

Why do we kill the holiest among us? We kill them or dishonor them, which is the same thing.​
Why?

Because they stand against every thought you have that would deny Me. And deny Me you must if you are to deny your Self.

Why would I want to deny You,​
or me?

Because you are afraid. And because My promises are too good to be true. Because you cannot accept the grandest Truth. And so you must reduce yourself to a spirituality which teaches fear and dependence and intolerance, rather than love and power and acceptance.
You are
filled with fear-and your biggest fear is that My biggest promise might be life’s biggest lie. And so you create the biggest fantasy you can to defend yourself against this: You claim that any promise which gives you the power, and guarantees you the love, of God must be the false promise of the devil. God would never make such a promise, you tell yourself, only the devil would-to tempt you into denying God’s true identity as the fearsome, judgmental, jealous, vengeful, and punishing entity of
entities.
Even though this description better fits the definition of a devil (if there
were one), you have assigned devilish characteristics to God in order to convince yourself not to accept the God-like promises of your Creator, or the God-like qualities of the Self. Such is the power of fear.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
heh heh yes, said 1, I have to admit, I really enjoyed the persona of 'God' that provided the answers to Neal's questions... forthright, logical and non judgemental... and at times, Neal's 'God' even came off as incedulous at the ways in which we've managed to evade some truths that appear almost ridiculously obvious once pointed out... of course, there were also some points made that just didn't ring true for me... a few pat answers that didn't stand up to deeper scrutiny...

as to the author's 'exalted status' (hahaha I liked that phrase said 1) I was also disappointed for a time, but I've since concluded that I got what I wanted from the first 3 books, and it's only the message that's relevent to me... as for the messenger... well, I suppose his journey continues eh? I don't really know how it could have been avoided, since the material appeals to such a broad range of people who are compelled to think outside the box, he has attracted a pretty huge fan base... there's alot of people out there who are sick to death of the answers organized religion provides... particulalry Christian based religions... I viewed his writings as a springboard for me to really challenge and redefine my own beliefs... but not as the be all and end all final word on the subject of spirituality...

anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts so far...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The book and his other words sound interesting and I would enjoy reading all I can by that author...

My introduction to this kind of thought was from a little pocket book called The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts.

I received it in the late 80s and devoured it in one sitting and walked around in a trance trying to understand all of his words. I still re-read it and his other writings to "get" things - many of which defy my ability to comprehend all of it.

Still, it doesn't hurt to open a few doors as I am certain we lack many answers in the here and now of evolution. He wrote many essays and articles, and while I collect them I have to space them out as they take so much time to
think of the things he writes.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
The Author, from what I can tell has not had a realtionship with God. Its nothing as he makes it to be in his book, Making it just a book with an interesting concept.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
The Author, from what I can tell has not had a realtionship with God. Its nothing as he makes it to be in his book, Making it just a book with an interesting concept.

That's just it. As Zan said 'thinking outside the box', food for thought if you will. Have you read the book? I don't have much of a relationship with God either, but I always enjoy reading scripture as well as how others interpret the words and teachings of Jesus.

Curiosity: What is the book you mentioned about? I've heard several others say similar things but have yet to come accross it.

Zan: When guys like Neal make it big, it always reminds me of my granny who's favorite phrase is 'beware of the false prophet'. To her there was no other philosopher or person who could match Jesus. She was a funny old gal. :)

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
That's just it. As Zan said 'thinking outside the box', food for thought if you will. Have you read the book? I don't have much of a relationship with God either, but I always enjoy reading scripture as well as how others interpret the words and teachings of Jesus.
Id Much rather read it for myself and gather my own Interpertations of the Bible, Instead of taking the word of someone who doesnt seem to have any Spirtual or Theolgical input.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Id Much rather read it for myself and gather my own Interpertations of the Bible, Instead of taking the word of someone who doesnt seem to have any Spirtual or Theolgical input.

So you didn't read the book? No one said his word was the gospel either, just his take and an interesting one at that. I suppose you don't read anyone's interpretations of things, then?

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
So you didn't read the book? No one said his word was the gospel either, just his take and an interesting one at that. I suppose you don't read anyone's interpretations of things, then?
Not really, I usally read books where I can make my Own interpretations, I have found that its better to Interpret things for myself, because most people have thier own motives behind their Interpretations. Especailly when it is on Spirtuality.

Spirtuality is something you must procive yourself, and I think that it is something also personal. I dont let preachers or authors tell me what to, or what I should think. I understand this book is just a book, but if its just a book, than whats the point of reading it? Imean if its not going to really give you any spirtual jump on things. Thats My Opinion, Iam into reading Factual books on Wars, Polotics, and Books writen about the Bible that give insight into things, But nopthing that has its own opinon or conflicts with mine. Why have an Opinion if you dont think its right?

Anyway Iam sure its a good book, but it doesnt seem like anything id like to read.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I know a great deal about CWG AND the author. I was in charge of Neales message board since since 2002. And I met Neale in 2004 in PA. Neale himself was a great disappointment and a liar. The first 3 books and Frendship are a must read and started me on the spiritual path I'm currently on. Yes the beginning books are creative and wonderful to read but the following books are repetitive, political and I follow NOONE as a Guru!

Through Neale Ive met the most wonderful and the most teribble people in my life. The people I stayed with in England are among the most wonderful and some local people here in the states among the worst. But thats with any group.

I splintered off Neales group after a disagreement about allowing a pedaphile on the site after I banned him. Neale is just as much a hypocrite as any man searching to be a leader instead of following his own printed words.

Wednesday (I think thats you isnt it curiosity? My friend lived in NYC and was an actress. Her screen name was Wednesday too) (If not I oppologize) Is the one that introduced me to CWG on Lynn Grabhorn's Board. We were quite the little family.

I should write a book about the man behind the printed word. He had a protage, Cedric, the most amazing young man Ive ever met! He goes back and forth from working to volunteering in India. I want to be like Cedric when I grow up. He's my hero. He found out about Neale like I did, the hard way. All experiences are for a purpose and without them we arent who we are in this now. Nothing in my world ever goes wrong.

Last edited:

oneeno

Oct 23, 2006
Not really, I usally read books where I can make my Own interpretations, I have found that its better to Interpret things for myself, because most people have thier own motives behind their Interpretations. Especailly when it is on Spirtuality.

Spirtuality is something you must procive yourself, and I think that it is something also personal. I dont let preachers or authors tell me what to, or what I should think. I understand this book is just a book, but if its just a book, than whats the point of reading it? Imean if its not going to really give you any spirtual jump on things. Thats My Opinion, Iam into reading Factual books on Wars, Polotics, and Books writen about the Bible that give insight into things, But nopthing that has its own opinon or conflicts with mine. Why have an Opinion if you dont think its right?

Anyway Iam sure its a good book, but it doesnt seem like anything id like to read.

I understand this book is just a book, but if its just a book, than whats the point of reading it? Imean if its not going to really give you any spirtual jump on things.

cant you say the same thing about the bible or whatever book it is you are using/reading for spiritual knowledge??

Iam into reading Factual books on Wars, Polotics, and Books writen about the Bible that give insight into things

other books about the bible? couldent they be taken as opinions? the bible is a large book..if everyone was on teh same page with its readings, wouldent everyone be enlightened.? arent those other peopls opinions you are reading?

But nopthing that has its own opinon or conflicts with mine. Why have an Opinion if you dont think its right?

you werent born with opinions programmed in the back of your head..how did you get your opinions..im assuming by reading books and listening/talking about others opinions.?

because most people have thier own motives behind their Interpretations. Especailly when it is on Spirtuality.

many have said, even in this book, that the bible itself is a book written/edited around personal agenda.
certain things/facts let in and certain things/facts left out..all for a matter of agenda..generally at the hand of fear...

Not really, I usally read books where I can make my Own interpretations

even if, all books are stating facts as the nature of their writing, but cant all words still be left open to interpretation?? regardless if they come across as "facts" ?
none of this is a personal "slam" againts you..i just dont get your logic..

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Love the nic oneeno reminds me of someone I know. We ARE one. But we all dont get it now do we. And if we did how boring would life be. Isnt THAT Neales original message? Tolerence.