Mom: Pastor told gay son he's going to hell

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The recently outed anti-gay pastor Matthew Makela is coming under fire not just for his hypocrisy but, according to the mother of one of his parishioners, he encouraged her gay son that since he was going to hell anyway, he might as well kill himself.

After Queerty reported earlier this week that the married Midland, Michigan pastor used the Grindr networking app to chat with, and solicit sex from, other men. St. John’s Lutheran Church, where Makela worked until his resignation on Monday, issued a statement urging people not to read any more about Makela or his “sin.”

The writer of the Queerty article disagreed, claiming that “f Makela made even one LGBT kid at St. John’s ‘Christ-based’ elementary school, their parents, friends, family or anyone who ever stepped foot in the church feel like being true to yourself is shameful (and it seems all too likely that he did), then we’re glad to share his hypocrisy with the world.”

According to Jennifer Kisk, Makela did far worse than make his LGBT parishioners uncomfortable — he actively urged them to kill themselves. As WNEM’s David Custer reported, Makela told then 17-year-old Tyler Kish — who was suffering from depression at the time — that if he insisted on embracing a homosexual lifestyle, he might as well commit the mortal sin of suicide because he was already ticketed for hell.

“If he’s going to hell for being gay then he might as well commit suicide,” Kish said Makela advised her son. He also, she alleged, went on social media to berate her for remaining supportive of her son after he came out to her.

Watch Custer’s interview with the Kishes below via WNEM.

more

Michigan Grindr pastor urged gay teen to kill himself, says mom - Salon.com

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I ain't too up on nutbar Christianity these days. If a gay kid murders an abortion doctor, does he go to hell for being a filthy, sinful abomination, or does he go to heaven for loving and defending the babies?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The preacher was probably trying to arrange a date since he will be there himself, alone as being gay is not a mortal sin that is not covered by grace. The preacher eventually makes it to heaven himself once the updates are complete.

No idea how the nutbars will spin it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The preacher was probably trying to arrange a date since he will be there himself, alone as being gay is not a mortal sin that is not covered by grace. The preacher eventually makes it to heaven himself once the updates are complete.

No idea how the nutbars will spin it.
Actually, you just told us how at least one will spin it.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I ain't too up on nutbar Christianity these days. If a gay kid murders an abortion doctor, does he go to hell for being a filthy, sinful abomination, or does he go to heaven for loving and defending the babies?

This why we need to bring back Anubis and his scales. No need for the complicated theological debate.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I thought Christians believed in repentance and divine forgiveness. If you thought homosexuality was a sin, you'd probably want homosexuals to be redeemed of their sins through Christ. Not to just kill themselves and go to Hell.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Another anti-Christian thread. Good for you.
No this is not an anti-Christian thread unless of course you think this dude is a Christian.

I think he is mentally ill. But that's just me. I think anyone who views things as he does is misled, misguided and should never be in a leadership role.

I thought Christians believed in repentance and divine forgiveness. If you thought homosexuality was a sin, you'd probably want homosexuals to be redeemed of their sins through Christ. Not to just kill themselves and go to Hell.
but their behaviour is is icky, better that they die no? who wants them in heaven

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
He's preaching what he believes. What's hypocritical about that?

If he hadn't been going out and diddling other men, one could argue that. Once he stuck another man's dick in his mouth or his anus, that argument kind of looses its meaning.

But to be clear this particular priest is a hypocrite. The inference is that all Christian priest/pastors are cannot be made.