Demons and Evil

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Has anyone approached the topic of demons yet? I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion on them. Whether they believe in them or not.

I spoke to a Jehova Witness a few months back, who believed that the bad/evil things of this current era were because of the presence of demons.

My belief is that evil comes from within and is not an external force.

But I would like to hear everyone else's opinioin/belief/experiences.

Please share.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Evil is ignorance of who and what we are. Sociopaths and psychopaths have a missing gene that allows them to go through life without empathy or sympathy. They are incapable of real emotion and thus cannot see anything wrong with exploiting others. They are selfish and self centered. I equate those who think that personal salvation is the point of life with sociopaths. They do not feel any connection to the rest of life, the interconnectedness and interdependency. They isolate themselves within a belief structure that elevates them above everyone else and do not feel any obligation to others beyond converting them to their way of thinking. We are all children of the Universe, we are made up of the same stuff, the same creative energy as stars, planets and galaxies. There is no separation. Everything is part of the One, the Source.

cj44

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2013
Has anyone approached the topic of demons yet? I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinion on them. Whether they believe in them or not.

I spoke to a Jehova Witness a few months back, who believed that the bad/evil things of this current era were because of the presence of demons.

Please share.
In my humble opinion...

Demons do exist as do angels. Both are spiritual beings. There is more to the world than meets our senses.
When we die, we do not become angels (if heaven bound). Nor do we become demons (if hell bound)

The evil that exists in this current era as well as previous is due to human sinfulness, demonic activity, and worldly influence. Don't be to quick to lay blame on a demon when you commit evil though. We will all be held accounatable for our words, thoughts and actions.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think that evil is the abandonment of good on the part of the individual. I don't think outside forces direct that abandonment. In fact I think that those who believe they are being directed to do evil deeds are likely either mentally unstable or purposely use outside forces as excuse to justify their misdeeds.

Evil exists, but it is an entity born out of man or mental illness.

Not demons.

My humble opinion.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Agreed. Though external forces can encourage that 'evil' to the surface when it might not have had those external forces not been at work. By external forces I mean other people or society. Its surprising what seemingly normal people will do when told to do it - mass murder for example. I saw a documentary about that a few months ago called "The Act of Killing." It was quite disturbing.

I do not believe in demons. Even when I was a religious person I didn't believe in them. Im not sure why. Its just something I never bought into for some reason. Evil is different, that certainly exists but I do not think anything or anyone is 100% pure evil which I imagine demons are meant to be.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Evil is ignorance of who and what we are. Sociopaths and psychopaths have a missing gene that allows them to go through life without empathy or sympathy. They are incapable of real emotion and thus cannot see anything wrong with exploiting others. They are selfish and self centered.

I'm not understanding your first sentence here. Are you saying there is no such thing as evil?

I equate those who think that personal salvation is the point of life with sociopaths. They do not feel any connection to the rest of life, the interconnectedness and interdependency. They isolate themselves within a belief structure that elevates them above everyone else and do not feel any obligation to others beyond converting them to their way of thinking. We are all children of the Universe, we are made up of the same stuff, the same creative energy as stars, planets and galaxies. There is no separation. Everything is part of the One, the Source.

I read earlier on this forum this scripture "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them."

Why would Christians be told this? I know JW's take no part in affairs of this world (voting, etc) because of this scripture, but it makes no sense to not love something given to you by your god.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I agree . It all comes from within. For sure!
I believe in genetic memory and possibly reincarnation . I said possibly, from toying with the concept.
And I said believe in regards to both ideas .
We bring much to the table under the table so to speak.
It is important to not just accept in a blind faith way, for me anyway.

Labeling it and blaming one's actions on demons gets one off the hook for being a horrible human being lol.

Religion is far too religioneee for me. lol.

so then !!!! I say !!!!
Bah Humbug, IT'S ALL HUMBUG I Tell You.
lol.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Evil is ignorance of who and what we are. Sociopaths and psychopaths have a missing gene that allows them to go through life without empathy or sympathy. They are incapable of real emotion and thus cannot see anything wrong with exploiting others. They are selfish and self centered

I lived with one for three years. It was an interesting though at times confusing experience. I don't know how many times I tried to explain basic emotions to him. He just didn't get it. He knew how to pretend well enough but he didn't understand them, I didn't understand him either though to be fair. Naturally he went into law. ha.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
I read earlier on this forum this scripture "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them."

Why would Christians be told this? I know JW's take no part in affairs of this world (voting, etc) because of this scripture, but it makes no sense to not love something given to you by your god.

This is true, the underline in bold. I whole heartedly agree.

I can see Buddhist non attachment as a way of life in not getting too caught up in things . Both worldly and if you believe in non worldly realms.

To not love anything, and if you do, then you do not love God.

Thats not really logical at all.

How else are we to know the Creator except in It's Creation.

Alas I know not God or gods or demons. Maybe my senses are dull.
I do know a good thing when I see it though , and love much that is around me.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm not understanding your first sentence here. Are you saying there is no such thing as evil?

If people knew who and what they are there would be no evil in the world. This information has been kept from us for control purposes. How could anybody control someone else if they knew that they were equal. This is why I do not like religion or monarchies or even governments and there corporate puppet masters. "We are star dust, we are golden and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden." Contemplate the implications of that.

I read that as "do not become emotionally attached to material things (people, organizations, stuff) because it is an anchor to the illusion of "reality" caused by separation thinking. We are much greater than our physical selves. After years of studying and participating in spiritual matters, it dawned on me one day how absolutely simple it all was - we are spirit (pure conscious energy) at our core. That realization alone is all you need to be a spiritual person. It is a door to seeing our connection to everything and everybody. Then there is the possibility of true empathy and understanding with other living beings.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If people knew who and what they are there would be no evil in the world. This information has been kept from us for control purposes. How could anybody control someone else if they knew that they were equal. This is why I do not like religion or monarchies or even governments and there corporate puppet masters. "We are star dust, we are golden and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden." Contemplate the implications of that.

I read that as "do not become emotionally attached to material things (people, organizations, stuff) because it is an anchor to the illusion of "reality" caused by separation thinking. We are much greater than our physical selves. After years of studying and participating in spiritual matters, it dawned on me one day how absolutely simple it all was - we are spirit (pure conscious energy) at our core. That realization alone is all you need to be a spiritual person. It is a door to seeing our connection to everything and everybody. Then there is the possibility of true empathy and understanding with other living beings.

Beautifully said, Cliffy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I lived with one for three years. It was an interesting though at times confusing experience. I don't know how many times I tried to explain basic emotions to him. He just didn't get it. He knew how to pretend well enough but he didn't understand them, I didn't understand him either though to be fair. Naturally he went into law. ha.
Most of us fit the common descriptions of demons.

Please share.
Need a definition of "evil."

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Most of us fit the common descriptions of demons.

Need a definition of "evil."

Standard dictionary definition will work for me.

e·vil
[ee-vuhl] Show IPA
adjective
morally wrong or bad; immoral; wicked: evil deeds; an evil life.
harmful; injurious: evil laws.
characterized or accompanied by misfortune or suffering; unfortunate; disastrous: to be fallen on evil days.
due to actual or imputed bad conduct or character: an evil reputation.
marked by anger, irritability, irascibility, etc.: He is known for his evil disposition.
Relevant Questions
What Is Evil?
Who Is Evil?
How To Be Evil
How To Give The Evil Eye
Where Humans Born Evil Or Good?
Why Are The Decepticons So Evil?
noun
that which is evil; evil quality, intention, or conduct: to choose the lesser of two evils.
the force in nature that governs and gives rise to wickedness and sin.
the wicked or immoral part of someone or something: The evil in his nature has destroyed the good.
harm; mischief; misfortune: to wish one evil.
anything causing injury or harm: Tobacco is considered by some to be an evil.
adverb
in an evil manner; badly; ill: It went evil with him.
Idioms
the evil one, the devil; Satan.

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013

Was this your first encounter with the idea of demons, Twila? If not, in what other context(s) have you heard of this "demon" concept? Any thoughts on the origins of this notion of demons? Thanks.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Was this your first encounter with the idea of demons, Twila? If not, in what other context(s) have you heard of this "demon" concept? Any thoughts on the origins of this notion of demons? Thanks.

No, not my first encounter with this. I grew up in Victoria. Supposedly the cult capital of Canada/world (depending on whom you ask) Grew up with Michelle Remembers (novel about a Victoria girl) Was taken to a number of different Catholic churches by friends parents.

I've heard Christians say there is no hell and others say there is. I've heard Christians say after death there is nothing, cause the bible says "the dead know nothing" and others say when they die they'll sit by their lord.

I'm an athiest so, I believe that demons do not exist.

I like to hear how other people view the world, how others express a faith, their beliefs. I'm nosy.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Christianity is as polytheistic as Hinduism. Besides the Three, there are angels (numerous grades, some militaristic), devils, demons and saints.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Standard dictionary definition will work for me.

Not for me. Defining terms by using undefined terms is not defining them. What is "wickedness?" What is "immoral." Is "harm" always bad? When the U.S. and Canada, among others, "harmed" the Germans in WWII, were the U.S. and Canada evil?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not for me. Defining terms by using undefined terms is not defining them. What is "wickedness?" What is "immoral." Is "harm" always bad? When the U.S. and Canada, among others, "harmed" the Germans in WWII, were the U.S. and Canada evil?

For this discussion about Demons, how would you define evil?