Do you think you're a sugar addict?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Sugar can be addictive, wielding power over the brains of lab animals much like a craving for drugs, according to Princeton University scientists who say their findings may eventually have implications for the treatment of humans with eating disorders.

The researchers encouraged sugar binging by denying the rats food for four hours after waking. "It's a little bit like missing breakfast," Hoebel said. "As a result, they quickly eat some chow and drink a lot of sugar water."

Previous research showed hungry rats that binge on sugar experience a surge of dopamine in their brains. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a major role in addiction and affects movement, emotional response and the ability to experience pleasure and pain.

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
holy crap... the CBC post actually came with some INFO!

As for am I a sugar addict... hell no.

I'm a dark chocolate addict, a red wine addict, a coffee addict, a sex addict, and a complex carb addict (which once could argue counts). But sodas, sweet chocolates, candies... they make me sick in short order. Is that an age thing do you suppose?

Diarygirl

Electoral Member
Oct 28, 2008
Newfoundland
I know of a sugar addict and it's true about the emotional responses in humans...nevermind rats...ups and downs!
There was a time when my cravings looked for sugar often for that energy boost but not like before! With age, I crave better things! (I'll leave that to your imagination!)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:-| Woe is me. Guess I am. Being a decaff-coffee addict, and wary of the bad things in artificial sweeteners, I use sugar, two please, double double.

But, that's me only vice. 8O sugar.

Boring, no?