What process do you think the Liberals should use to elect their next leader?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
New Brunswick MP Dominic LeBlanc has dropped out of the Liberal leadership race and thrown his support behind rival Michael Ignatieff, one of two remaining contenders.

His decision comes on the heels of Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion's announcement that he will step down before Parliament resumes on Jan. 26, several months earlier than originally planned.

The party wants to ensure a new leader is in place before the House of Commons reconvenes and MPs face a critical confidence vote on the federal budget that could send Canadians to the polls or see a Liberal-NDP coalition rise to power.

The Liberal leadership convention was scheduled to select a permanent replacement for Dion on May 2, but recent political developments have forced the party to move up the selection process.

It's still unclear what process will be used to select the next leader, or whether the party will select an interim or permanent leader in the coming weeks.

More...

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I think the liberal party is the only one who can answer this question.
Hopefully they will before jan.29.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
After the fiasco of the last week, The Liberal Party should try to appear as democratic and grass-roots as possible.....i.e. the Coronation of Saint Ignatieff should be delayed until a full convention.....planned in May.

Let someone else (LeBlanc is a good choice) lead until that time.

There is no longer any urgency, the Coalition is dead, dead, dead........the Liberals would not dare defeat Harper while polls are saying 58% disapprove of the coalition, and 45% would vote Conservative in an election held today......

Mikey will have to wait.

He is the Liberal leader the Conservatves should worry about. He will lead them back to the centre......where they will give us a fight.

Mikey's a bright boy, seems sensible, actually speaks English......We'll see how good he is in the ring......

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
At least we have true, Stale, balance(?)

Who cares , as long as the Liberals ALL back whatever leader is chosen! ...Lookin like This iggy guy!.....There will be another election ,probably in the spring ..If Harper steps down and Flaherty takes the leadership...Conservatives will get a majority,,,,If Harper doesn't step down ...There will be yet another minority government...If nobody can work with the Bloq... 2 parties will have to join to make a majority,,,Or nothing will ever get done!!.....An American style,Two party system is on the way!..O.K....3 ,but The Bloq will always be the Block !..Unless of course, people will except the fact .that they hold the balance of power!!

I guess if we don't have a democracy ,at least we have a sovereign Bloq holding the balance of power!!(?).....craziness:3some: ......... 8O

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Who cares , as long as the Liberals ALL back whatever leader is chosen ...Lookin like This iggy guy!.....There will be another election ,probably in the spring ..If Harper steps down and flaherty takes the leadership...Conservatives will get a majority,,,,If Harper doesn't step down ...There will be yet another minority government...If nobody can work with the Bloq... 2 parties will have to join too make a majority,,,Or nothing will ever get done!!

I guess if we don't have a democracy ,at least we have a stale balance of power!!(?)

Trust me, a year from now Harper will not only still be leading the CPC, he will still be PM.

He just finished leading the most successful minority gov't in our history........if judged by time it lasted.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
New Brunswick MP Dominic LeBlanc has dropped out of the Liberal leadership race and thrown his support behind rival Michael Ignatieff, one of two remaining contenders.

His decision comes on the heels of Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion's announcement that he will step down before Parliament resumes on Jan. 26, several months earlier than originally planned.

The party wants to ensure a new leader is in place before the House of Commons reconvenes and MPs face a critical confidence vote on the federal budget that could send Canadians to the polls or see a Liberal-NDP coalition rise to power.

The Liberal leadership convention was scheduled to select a permanent replacement for Dion on May 2, but recent political developments have forced the party to move up the selection process.

It's still unclear what process will be used to select the next leader, or whether the party will select an interim or permanent leader in the coming weeks.

More...

I think they should try to locate Gordon Gibson Jr. out of North Vancouver and try talking him into running- he's got what it takes, I think- the existing candidates would just be reruns who have already been beaten by Dion, so who in their right minds thinks these guys have been reincarnated into winners in the past year? If the Liberals want to get back on the rails they have to start using some basic comon sense.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
A minority leader governing like Harper is a Minority Dictatorship!....Might as well just merge with the U.S.A and be done with it...Screw the people..Capitalism wins/Communistic dictatorship wins...The People are truly slavedrones..Unless Harper Learns how to use the internet to find consenses and doesn't simply us I.T. and tax payers money, to pay all the advertisers and media, to push his message, till we're all brainwashed with HIS way!....and Breath!!..lol

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The liberal party is in ruins. It doesn't matter what method they use or who they choose. They will be down for a long time...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The liberal party is in ruins. It doesn't matter what method they use or who they choose. They will be down for a long time...

I'm inclined to agree although not sure about "a long time", but I'm sure Harper will survive for a couple of more years. Sensible voters don't want to rock the boat right now, as nothing is really broke YET. I think anyone who is directly bailing out bankrupt companies is committing politcal suicide in the long run. You don't throw money at incompetents.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I just heard on the radio, Bob Rae is dropping out of the race and Iggy is in. Rae will be holding a press conference in a few minutes.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep.....LeBlanc is out as of last night, Rae is out as of a couple of minutes ago.
This leaves Ignatius standing alone so no need for "Paper,Rock,Scissors" (Best
three out'a five) to settle the Liberal Leadership issue.

My question now is, can they just Crown him as King of the Liberals? Do they still
have to have an interem Leader 'till their convention in May to adhear to their own
rules (interem leader who's not running to be leader) if the choice is one person?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Trust me, a year from now Harper will not only still be leading the CPC, he will still be PM.

He just finished leading the most successful minority gov't in our history........if judged by time it lasted.

Never trust anyone who starts a statement with "trust me"....

How can you call shuck and jive and dancing the sidestep successful? The only thing he accomplished was getting into the record books as being Prime Minister of the longest-standing minority government. If the Libs had leadership, Harpo would have been gone the first time he pulled one of his manipulative little games.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I kind of think you are right about that, Colpy.......... but I don't think we want to get disillusioned that he is the "Abe Lincoln" of Canadian politics.