Your tips for shopping in tough economic times.

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Paying full price for something? Not in these tough economic times.

Do you have some tips to find the best bargains and drive the best deals, whether it's groceries, clothes, electronics or a pair of boots?

More...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
There is only two of us, BUT, when I buy groceries I buy large quantities of packaged meat, etc.
When I cook I make large quantities at one time, then we may eat it on the second day as well,
and I freeze the rest into meal sized portions for another day.
The economy sized packaging saves money.
I make large quantities of spaghetti sauce, freeze lots of cartons, I also make large quantities
of fresh chicken broth, (low salt content), as the stores contain too much salt. I remove the
chicken and freeze the broth in containers, both the broth and spaghetti sauce can be used in
many different recipes.
I don't save anything on bread, as I buy from a small bakery, as her bread is very healthy and
yummy, don't mind spending extra there, but I should go back to making my own, I might do
that soon.
I avoid packaged, prepared food, and snack foods, and I have learned to read all the labels, as this
helps a lot, as the fat content and salt content in many foods is alarming, and I appreciate knowing
that, it makes me put the package back, and look for something healthier.
We are not health food freaks, but I am aware of eating good whole foods that our bodies will use to
benefit us, and keep us healthy.
I watch for bargains in the flyers.
We have stopped eating out, which is saving us lots of money, even though we were eating at
quality foods, which is very reasonable and fresh whole food.
I am enjoying doing all the cooking again, and seeing the extra money in our account.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Paying full price for something? Not in these tough economic times.

Do you have some tips to find the best bargains and drive the best deals, whether it's groceries, clothes, electronics or a pair of boots?

More...

As a former retail manager I can tell you that home delivered flyers or online flyers DO NOT afford you the best deals.
The best deals are the unannounced in store specials that you will see and benefit from when you do your shopping.
scratch

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
One rule of thumb in grocery stores is to stay out of the inner isles where all the pre-packaged food is, buy fresh and by bulk. If it comes in a jar or can, you are better off to can your own. Better still, dry as much as you can so you don't lose any nutritional value. Get your dry goods at Sally Ann and other such places. Look for deals on eBay for electronics. Also a good place for a lot of stuff.