If you've been diagnosed with breast cancer, we want to hear from you. What's your ex

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A significant portion of invasive breast cancers may regress on their own without treatment, a new study that is bound to provoke controversy suggests.

The study, published Monday in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine, suggests breast cancer screening may be leading to over diagnosis of cancer, with upwards of 22 per cent of cases likely to resolve themselves without treatment.

Once a breast cancer is found, it wouldn't currently be considered ethical not to treat. So — if the theory is correct — large numbers of women may be having surgeries, radiation, chemotherapy and other treatments that would never have been needed if their cancers hadn't been detected.

Full story

If you've been diagnosed with breast cancer, we want to hear from you. What's your experience and what do you think of this study?

More...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
From Male breast cancer - MayoClinic.com :

"Breast cancer isn't just a woman's disease. Men also have breast tissue that can undergo cancerous changes. While women are about 100 times more likely to get breast cancer, any man can develop breast cancer. Male breast cancer is most common between the ages of 60 and 70.

The prognosis for male breast cancer is the same as for breast cancer in women. In the past, male breast cancer was often diagnosed at a more advanced stage, which may have led people to believe it had a worse prognosis. Although male breast cancer and breast cancer in women are similar, important distinctions such as breast size and awareness affect early diagnosis and survival in cases of male breast cancer."

Seems to be there is discrimination regarding breast cancer. It is not only a female disease, although granted it is more common in females. This discrimination disgusts me...

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
For males it's really a case of not watching what you eat and your diet. I knew a guy in Longueuil,Qc that had little care for himself and was diagnosed and almost died.
Cancer is non-gender specific.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
For males it's really a case of not watching what you eat and your diet. I knew a guy in Longueuil,Qc that had little care for himself and was diagnosed and almost died.
Cancer is non-gender specific.

Then I assume that you think all this attention to female breast cancer is discrimination...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
yeah. my cousin's wife was diagnosed with breast cancer when pregnant with her daughter. This year, after her daughterturned 11, she died at home.

Sure, it'll regress on it's own, and you can lose weight and become healthy while eating at Subway every day.

Believe whatever goddam myth you want, as long as it means you don't have to confront reality or effort.