Should Canada ban fast food ads? Do you think this would affect your child's diet?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Banning fast-food advertising on television in the United States could reduce the number of overweight children by as much as 18 per cent, researchers said.

But the team at the National Bureau of Economic Research questioned whether it would be practical to impose that kind of government regulation — something done only by Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Quebec banned direct television advertising to children in 1978, but remains the only province to do so.

The U.S. Institute of Medicine reported in 2006 that there was compelling evidence linking food advertising on television and increased childhood obesity.

Full story

Should Canada ban fast food ads? Do you think this would affect your child?

More...

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
No, why should we??? When I was growing up, my parents suggested what I should and should not eat....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well, first we need to make a distinction between fast food and junk food. A veggy sub could be fast food (it's quick to make), but not necessarily (depending on what you put in it of course) junk food. So I'll assume that they were just being lazy when they said 'fast food' and really meant 'junk food'. By the way, some junk food might not be fast at all if it takes a while to prepare.

Now as for banning advertising for junk food:

Naw, just tax the hell out of them, then they won't be able to afford to advertise! This will take some of the tax burden off of my shoulders:smile: User pay! If you eat junk, you deserve to pay more taxes for hospitals. Fair is fair. Why should I pay for your gluttony?

Banning fast-food advertising on television in the United States could reduce the number of overweight children by as much as 18 per cent, researchers said.

But the team at the National Bureau of Economic Research questioned whether it would be practical to impose that kind of government regulation — something done only by Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Quebec banned direct television advertising to children in 1978, but remains the only province to do so.

The U.S. Institute of Medicine reported in 2006 that there was compelling evidence linking food advertising on television and increased childhood obesity.

Full story

Should Canada ban fast food ads? Do you think this would affect your child?

More...