Who do you think is the greatest singer of the rock era?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Aretha Franklin, the 66-year-old music legend, beat the likes of Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and John Lennon in Rolling Stone magazine's recent tally of the top vocalists in the rock and roll era.

To compile the list of the top 100 vocalists, the magazine polled more than 179 music industry insiders, from singers, musicians and producers to Rolling Stone editors themselves. Canadians who made the cut include Neil Young (No. 37) and Joni Mitchell (No. 42). Christina Aguilera (No. 58), Thom Yorke (No. 66) and Mariah Carey (No. 79) are among the contemporary singers singled out.

More...

Jubilee

Nov 13, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta

Without a doubt,
Rick Astley

Moderator's Edit-YouTube video removed.

The video had already been taken down anyhow, and this way I can re-approve the post. I left the person's name that you had chosen though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I thought this topic was supposed to be about the Rock Era or Rock in paticular..... how the hell does Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey get on there?

I can't even take this seriously or believe it to be anything close to accurate if they got those two in the 100 "top vocalists in the rock and roll era."

DId they run out of actual rock bands/artists?

Anyways, to throw my two cents in, I would say Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, Jeff Martin, Maynard James Keenan and Todd Kerns for starters.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I thought this topic was supposed to be about the Rock Era or Rock in paticular..... how the hell does Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey get on there?

I can't even take this seriously or believe it to be anything close to accurate if they got those two in the 100 "top vocalists in the rock and roll era."

DId they run out of actual rock bands/artists?

Anyways, to throw my two cents in, I would say Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, Jeff Martin, Maynard James Keenan and Todd Kerns for starters.

Sammy Hagar, Freddie Mercury, Rod Stewart, lead singer of HEADPINS, Chrissy Hinde......

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've got so many favorites: Obviously Elvis and John Lennon at the top of the list, Blondie, Little Richard, John Fogarty, Tina Turner, Cliff Richards, and many more but Aretha Franklin would not be ahead of anybody on my list

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I've got so many favorites: Obviously Elvis and John Lennon at the top of the list, Blondie, Little Richard, John Fogarty, Tina Turner, Cliff Richards, and many more but Aretha Franklin would not be ahead of anybody on my list

How about Joe Cocker?

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
haha I saw him performing in Halifax longtimego he was in his drunken stage then fell into the backup group and had to be dragged off stage. Rick Astly

You know dark, he suffers from a serious muscular disorder that make him appear as he does, but that does not absolve him from being drunk.

Lindsay Buckingham