Have you had any trouble getting credit?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The government of Canada will buy another $50 billion in insured mortgages to help keep credit markets moving, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said Wednesday.

Speaking in Toronto, Flaherty said the government decided to make the move on hearing that lending markets in the country were freezing up. He said the loan purchase will help make loans more affordable and available for Canadian borrowers.

Full story

Have you had any trouble getting credit? Mortages, car loans, business loans and any other loans. Tell us your experience?

More...

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/cbc-news/79241-have-you-had-any-trouble-post1009390

The only credit I use is credit cards. I haven’t applied for a loan in 21 years. 21 years ago I got a mortgage and paid it off in three years (the final chunk was paid off with severance payment received as a result of losing my job). But other than that, I don’t believe in getting a loan. I don’t spend money that I don’t have (except when it comes to investment, I don’t mind borrowing to invest).

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well I called last week to check on my student loan. I had filed in June, and sent them a document the last week of August. I checked my status on line and they told me they recieved the letter on September 9th. Got fed up and called last week, my loan documents hadn't moved from the pile they were placed in before this semester even began...I wonder how many other students had the same problem...I hate student loans.

The banks have no problem giving me money...it's just I have to take it up the @ss to get money that has no interest payments to go with it....so maybe I'll have my loan by Christmas, and then I can fill out my pre study report, to get the second half by spring break....:angryfire:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We haven't had a home mortgage for quite a few years now and the cars we've bought in the last ten years have been bought with savings. We get credit card applications and loan offers in the mail almost every day from people who want to sell us a newer, and better credit card service. We own a home that on paper, is worth around half a million. I can't help but feel that we wouldn't get nearly as much attention if we were renting an apartment. Getting credit doesn't seem to be a problem.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
A word of warning about those credit card applications. Don’t’ just throw them away, tear them up into small pieces and then throw them away. If you have a paper shredder, all the better (I don’t have one).

This is particularly true for the preapproved credit card applications. If you just throw away the application, it is easy for somebody to send in the application, just changing the address.

While some credit card companies will verify the change of address with you, not all the companies do that. Using your application, somebody else could easily get a credit card in your name, eventually leading to the identity theft.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
A word of warning about those credit card applications. Don’t’ just throw them away, tear them up into small pieces and then throw them away. If you have a paper shredder, all the better (I don’t have one).

This is particularly true for the preapproved credit card applications. If you just throw away the application, it is easy for somebody to send in the application, just changing the address.

While some credit card companies will verify the change of address with you, not all the companies do that. Using your application, somebody else could easily get a credit card in your name, eventually leading to the identity theft.

Great. That'll mean some other shmuck - handcuffed, getting tasered and tossed into the paddy wagon................"Honest to god, officer, I ain't Nuggler!!!"
'Tell it to the judge, now don't move........don't even breathe........Get IN there!!"

:laughing6:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Those student loan people have to be the biggest nincompoops ever to gather a government paycheque. My loan was forgiven due to disability way back in 1999. Two years ago, my number came up for harassment - right down to the letter from the revenooers threatening to seize all tax rebates. If these idiots can't keep track of my papers in their office ... how in hell am I supposed to? Do I have trouble getting credit? My bank still loves me and the loans officer just laughs at Ministry of Education. The number I'm supposed to refer to when I call them about payment? Does not exist....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Loan, shmoan. Go to the ATM, put a deposit of nothing in the slot. Say, it's a cheque worth about $700.00

Withdraw your max for the day........meh..........500.00.........WTHeck

Now do that at 8 banks.

8 x 500 = 4000.00 Not bad for a few minutes work. Course you do have to take the time to open up an account at 8 banks..........Be sure to withdraw all that real money too.

Now, GETTTOUTATOWN.................FAST!!!:glasses11:...........FASTER'n'that!!

Reason for the haste is that you have other accounts in other towns under other names you have to look after........................business is business.

It's a JOKE, folks. Don't do it. You'll get house arrest for at least 3 days, and 10 days community service, picking up dogsh*t and such!! Crime don't pay, eh. Just ask Conrad.

Reactions: Outta here