Race and the U.S. Election: Does it affect Canada?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
How do you think Obama's election will help to heal America's racial divide? Or will it? Do you think it will have any impact on race issues in Canada?

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So long as every last single media outlet is rabidly digging up info about racism, Obama as president will do nothing but draw intense attention to it. Hopefully this is a short lived trend and people will soon just see 'the president' rather than 'the black president'.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
So long as every last single media outlet is rabidly digging up info about racism, Obama as president will do nothing but draw intense attention to it. Hopefully this is a short lived trend and people will soon just see 'the president' rather than 'the black president'.

I hope time softens that approach too, and I remember when john kennedy was campaigning,
then eventually won the white house, the fact that he was the first 'catholic' president was
bandied about constantly, it was a big 'thing', and gradually disappeared, as his strong character and personality and leadership rose above all of that 'silliness'.
I'm glad for the black community, but I'm allready getting tired of hearing how the 'black' race
has finally 'made it' to the top, and I'm hearing it from black people, and I wonder if 'they' can
shed that attitude, with a little time, I sure hope so, as they must settle down and feel
equal and blend in now.
I guess it's easy for me to say.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
How do you think Obama's election will help to heal America's racial divide? Or will it? Do you think it will have any impact on race issues in Canada?

I think it will help the divide a little bit in the states, as for Canada, I don't think it will have an impact at all. Progress is too painfully slow here.