Are minority governments good for Canada?


CBC News
#1
Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservatives will return to Ottawa after winning a strengthened mandate in a general election Tuesday that resulted in Canada's third consecutive minority government.
Canada's first minority government was in 1921 under Liberal MacKenzie King. Then in the 1950s and 1960s, Canadians were governed by four minority governmnts in a row. John Diefenbaker failed to get majorities in 1957 and 1962.
Lester Pearson won the election in 1963, but with a minority, and did the same in 1965. Pearson was the only prime minister so far never to head a majority government.
Are minority governments good for Canada?


More...
 
Liberalman
#2
Minority governments are good for Canada because they have to work together to pass laws.

Voters that donít like certain bills can contact the opposition and get them to vote it down.

But minorities donít last long, usually two years max and since elections cost hundreds of millions of dollars a pop eventually more people come out to vote in a majority.
 
scratch
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Minority governments are good for Canada because they have to work together to pass laws.

Voters that donít like certain bills can contact the opposition and get them to vote it down.

But minorities donít last long, usually two years max and since elections cost hundreds of millions of dollars a pop eventually more people come out to vote in a majority.

Yo L-Man,

I agree the next ONE will be a majority and not Conservative.

Bookmark this!

scratch

 
Kreskin
#4
This one is perfect. Two parties can't gang up on the ruling minority. It would take all three and need a serious issue to do so. No dictatorship yet no parliamentary shenanigans.
 
DurkaDurka
#5
I prefer minority governments, I don't really care for political dynasties.
 
Tonington
#6
Ditto Durka, unless Canadians are willing to vote me ruler for life
 
scratch
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Ditto Durka, unless Canadians are willing to vote me ruler for life

That's very good!

 
DurkaDurka
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Ditto Durka, unless Canadians are willing to vote me ruler for life

The benevolent, hippy dictator? You're in!
 
Tonington
#9
Industrial hemp production, fields tended by all inmates of federal penitentiaries. Replace Via Rail with Viagra Rail. The National on CBC news will be replaced by Naked News. A revised Canadian food guide with beer included in daily fluid recommendations. Pedophiles will be used for medical experiments.

Feel free to introduce private citizens bills.
 
DurkaDurka
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Industrial hemp production, fields tended by all inmates of federal penitentiaries. Replace Via Rail with Viagra Rail. The National on CBC news will be replaced by Naked News. A revised Canadian food guide with beer included in daily fluid recommendations. Pedophiles will be used for medical experiments.

Feel free to introduce private citizens bills.

I like your agenda.
 
Risus
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by scratchView Post

Yo L-Man,

I agree the next ONE will be a majority and not Conservative.

Bookmark this!

scratch

The next one will be a conservative majority. The liberals are fading into the sunset and the others are too weak.
 
Risus
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Minority governments are good for Canada because they have to work together to pass laws.

Voters that donít like certain bills can contact the opposition and get them to vote it down.

But minorities donít last long, usually two years max and since elections cost hundreds of millions of dollars a pop eventually more people come out to vote in a majority.

I agree.
 
Ron in Regina
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by scratchView Post

Yo L-Man,

I agree the next ONE will be a majority and not Conservative.

Bookmark this!

scratch

Not the next one in about 2yrs, but the election after that will be a Majority Liberal Government.
I'm not a Liberal supporter by any means, but that's what I predict to come down the pipe. Right
now, the Liberals aren't in good financial shape, so they'd be the last ones to topple the current
government and they'd be dealing with a new leader before the snow melts in the Spring....So
not the next election but the one right after that one. The Liberals (in the next couple of years)
will be the ones keeping the Conservatives in power until the Liberal piggy-bank is much heavier.
 
scratch
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Not the next one in about 2yrs, but the election after that will be a Majority Liberal Government.
I'm not a Liberal supporter by any means, but that's what I predict to come down the pipe. Right
now, the Liberals aren't in good financial shape, so they'd be the last ones to topple the current
government and they'd be dealing with a new leader before the snow melts in the Spring....So
not the next election but the one right after that one. The Liberals (in the next couple of years)
will be the ones keeping the Conservatives in power until the Liberal piggy-bank is much heavier.

You are right about their coffers Ron.

scratch

 

Similar Threads

3
Good job and well done Canada!
by Trex | Oct 21st, 2009
0
A Good Thing For Canada ? ? ?
by Nuggler | Nov 11th, 2007
2
Minority Governments Forever
by shamus11 | Nov 26th, 2005
no new posts