Should all caffeinated drinks be labeled?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Some energy drinks contain as much caffeine as 14 cans of Coca-Cola and have no labels warning consumers about potential health risks, say researchers with Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
The scientists reviewed energy drinks and published their findings in the September issue of Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
Discovering that the caffeine content of such drinks varies from 50 to more than 500 milligrams, they argue for prominent labelling so consumers know whether they are getting a little or a lot of caffeine.
Caffeine intoxication is marked by nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, gastrointestinal upset, tremors, rapid heartbeats, agitation and in very rare cases, death.
Read full story

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think they should have to label it yes. And label it in terms of the 'daily recommended intake' because few people truly understand what the mg's mean. If the can says it has 300% of the daily recommended intake, perhaps it will make people think twice.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just to give an idea.
The 10 Most Caffeinated Diet Drinks

by J. Foster
If you are moderating your caffeine intake - it's worth noting that most diet soft drinks have as much (or sometimes even more) caffeine than their sugar-filled counterparts.
Diet Coke in particular has 30% more caffeine than regular Coca-cola.
Here is a list of the most caffeinated diet soft drinks.

Diet Pepsi Max
Per 12oz can : 69mg caffeine
A can of regular Pepsi-cola contains 38mg caffeine.

Diet Sundrop
Per 12oz can: 69mg caffeine
Sun Drop is a brand of citrus soda drink from Cadbury-Schweppes. The level of caffeine in the Diet version came as a complete surprise - but then - even the regular version has 63mg in a 12oz can. Note: regular can displayed.

Diet Mountain Dew
Per 12oz can: 55mg caffeine
Mountain Dew is one of the most popular citrus soft drinks. Both diet and regular have the same amount of caffeine. In countries outside the USA - Mountain Dew has either reduced amounts of caffeine (or no caffeine at all).

Pepsi ONE
Per 12oz can: 54mg caffeine
Pepsi ONE is a very similar formulation to Diet Coke with Splenda - although Pepsi ONE contains significantly more caffeine.

Diet Cheerwine
Per 12oz can: 48.1mg caffeine

Diet RC Cola
Per 12oz can: 47.3mg caffeine
Royal Crown (RC) colas have been around for a long time and are currently owned by Cadbury Schweppes. As in the case of Diet Coke - here the diet version has more caffeine than the regular RC Cola. 2

TaB
Per 12oz can: 46.5mg caffeine
TaB (from Coca-cola) is one of the oldest diet or sugar-free soft drinks around. It has more caffeine than Diet Coke

Diet Coke
Per 12oz can: 46.5mg caffeine
Diet Coke has significantly more caffeine in it than regular coke (34.5mg).

Diet Sunkist Orange Soda
Per 12oz can: 41.5mg caffeine
Contains slightly more than the regular version of Sunkist. Who would have thought that Orange Soda was caffeinated?

Diet Dr Pepper
Per 12oz can: 41mg caffeine
Contains the same amount as regular Dr Pepper.

Reference - Instant coffee

According the USDA - 1 rounded teaspoon of instant coffee powder contains 57mg of caffeine. (source).

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Isn't that a stupid question? I'm assuming the containers will be labled. The drink is a liquid and cannot normally be labled wheather caffeinated or not. Stupid CBC

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Isn't that a stupid question? I'm assuming the containers will be labled. The drink is a liquid and cannot normally be labled wheather caffeinated or not. Stupid CBC

I thought the question was quite clear. Should all caffienated drinks be labeled? (as to their caffeine content was implied)
I wonder why Red Bull didn't make this list?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I thought the question was quite clear. Should all caffienated drinks be labeled? (as to their caffeine content was implied)
I wonder why Red Bull didn't make this list?

Apparently not. Implication labeling, interesting concept there. People are labled by implication, but as I explained earlier drinks cannot be labled. We have diverse labeling irreglarities in this country. Imagine, you're not allow to know what's in what you just bought. That's a rigged regulation, a decaffeinated regulation. It's not labled as such either.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

lol... pedantic old beaver.