Would you eat genetically engineered animals?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Super Chicken strutted a step closer to the dinner table Thursday.
The U.S. government said it will start considering proposals to sell genetically engineered animals as food, a move that could lead to faster-growing fish, cattle that can resist mad cow disease, or perhaps heart-healthier eggs laid by a new breed of chicken.
"Genetic engineering of animals is here and has been here for some time, " said Larisa Rudenko, a science policy adviser with the FDA's veterinary medicine centre. "We intend to provide a rigorous, risk-based regulatory path for developers to follow to help ensure public health and the health of animals."
Reaction from consumer groups was mixed. On one hand, they welcomed the government's decision to regulate genetically altered animals. But they cautioned that many crucial details remain to be spelled out. For example, the FDA does not plan to require in all cases that genetically engineered meat, poultry and fish be labelled as such for consumers.
Full story
Would you eat genetically engineered animals?

More...

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I thought I was already eating GM animals... My problems with Frankenfoods are:

1) Something will escape from the lab and destroy mankind or possibly all life on earth.

2) Farmers have to pay Monsanto for the right to farm.

I'm not worried about food safety as long as its been tested thoroughly on other animals first...

Yes it should be labelled. People have a right to know and choose what they eat.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I thought I was already eating GM animals... My problems with Frankenfoods are:

1) Something will escape from the lab and destroy mankind or possibly all life on earth.

2) Farmers have to pay Monsanto for the right to farm.

I'm not worried about food safety as long as its been tested thoroughly on other animals first...

Yes it should be labelled. People have a right to know and choose what they eat.

I thought I was already eating GM animals too....We're already eating GM grains, and the
critters we're eating are most likely also eating GM grains...so it's not too big of a leap.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, you're not eating GM animals.

As for GM grains, what's the difference between grains that are bred for a specific combination, and grains that are genetically spliced for a specific combination? Can you answer me that?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

As for GM grains, what's the difference between grains that are bred for a specific combination, and grains that are genetically spliced for a specific combination? Can you answer me that?

I sure can't. I just know they're being grown out here (I'm in Saskatchewan), so I'm assuming
they're already part of my diet. I know the ass/u/me this also, but that's where I'm coming from.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

The mutations in the GM veggys would never occur in normal plant breeding. Tomatoes do not normally get it on with fish.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
On this subject I'm very much out of my element. I do hear the hearsay stories
where the farmers growing the GM grains lose some of their product between
the field and the Elevators, and it contaminates the fields of those still not using
the GM grains. Then the next year when the farmers who don't know that their
field now had some GM grains mixed into their regular crops take their grain
to the elevators, they end up getting a bill in the mail 'cuz they don't have a
license to grow the GM crops....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Let's hope there are prolonged lab tests and regulation in order to insure food safety.

After such tests are concluded, I would consider eating them.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Would I mind if I ate genetically modified animals?

Well we'll soon be having sex with genetically modified humans..... what's the diff?

In seriousness, I would mind. One person said they wouldn't mind so long as it was properly tested.

Well we all should know by now that it never is..... or else hydronated fats wouldn't have gone mainstream in the first place.

The problem with these sorts of short cut approaches, is that they're always designed for the short term as a short term solution..... with the potiential of being a long term solution.

But the bigger problem is that most of the time, not everything get's detected or found harmful until months or even years after the product has been used throughout the society and the body has proper time to react to it.... AKA: A large lab test on humans.

You all can eat the genetic food if you want, I'll see how it goes on you guys first before I start making it a routine in my diet.

My spidy senses were detecting something with that HPV vacine back when they were mass distributing them to our kids in school...... I knew there would be some serious side effects, and for a good porpotion of people, there were.

And my spidy senses are tingling on this subject as it did the last couple of times I talked about this.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I know nothing about genetically modified food, but, maybe when the dust settles, in
about 20 years or so, they might find out it is 'better' for us.