Junk food contraband

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Some high school students are making money by selling junk food out of lockers at their Burnaby school despite a provincial ban on junk food sales now in effect in all B.C. schools.
The three Grade 11 students — who asked to be identified only as Weeman, The Fern and Goggles — told CBC News they made more than $200 in the first week of school by bulk-buying candy and chocolate bars, then selling them at a profit.
The thriving underground trade doesn't just rely on word of month, Weeman said. Along with business cards, they have a Facebook page on the social networking website listing available products.
Full story
Is this entrepreneurial spirit or should they be shut down?

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think schools should have to have healthy options on their menu, and I can see them deciding that they will no longer sell junk food. But, forbidding a legal product to such an extent that they would come down on kids for selling it out of their lockers? Give me a break.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I think schools should have to have healthy options on their menu, and I can see them deciding that they will no longer sell junk food. But, forbidding a legal product to such an extent that they would come down on kids for selling it out of their lockers? Give me a break.
Seems a bit extreme to me, too!