Have you noticed real estate prices falling where you live?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The softening real estate market that's driven down home prices in the Lower Mainland is spreading to the B.C. Interior, experts say.
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver reported Wednesday the average price of a detached home in the area fell 4.3 per cent over the summer, down from record highs set in May, the result of more houses being put on the market and fewer people buying.
Those in the industry say the slump is now being felt as far away as the scenic town of Kimberley, nestled in the mountains of B.C.'s Kootenay region.
Full story
Have you noticed real estate prices falling where you live?

More...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I find these CBC questions annoying. Have you done anything to inform your owners (us) what is going on in the global economy? You are a news service , you're suppose to inform and educate us, not the other way arround. Instead of bothering the public with your insane questions why not do some investigative reporting, you know journalism. Or are all those people gone now replaced by parrots and fools? Have another cracker polly, and try to **** on the paper for a change.

dfrizzy

Sep 8, 2008
Toronto
They just keep rising! Stop finding a reason to compare us with the States! Stop scaring Canadians with this economy BS!

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Why would they ask such a question anyway? Anyone can see that housing prices are dropping across the country, except in those areas that live in a bubble (like Fort McMurray).

dfrizzy

Sep 8, 2008
Toronto
Why would they ask such a question anyway? Anyone can see that housing prices are dropping across the country, except in those areas that live in a bubble (like Fort McMurray).
Yeah your right. Greater Toronto area is in a bubble. I guess the 6% increase in prices over last year is just a lie.

PS. I suppose this is just a BC thing. soooorrryy

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Instead of bothering the public with your insane questions why not do some investigative reporting, you know journalism.

The purpose is to engage the reader and ultimately get them to personalize the narrative; that is, to see the story as more important to them than it really is. It creates viewers and keeps old ones riveted as they become convinced the sky is not only falling but is falling directly on their heads!

The prices of houses are supposed to move up and down. Only a complete idiot would expect their house to continue escalating in value forever. If you look at the birth rate in Canada it becomes even more obvious housing prices are only going to fall. It amazes me how many perfectly sensible people fall for this kind of wish thinking.

In Germany, the first western country to really feel the impact of a low birthrate, entire neighbourhoods have been demolished because there is no one to live in them - how much does the CBC figure those places are worth?

No, the CBC (like all media) is playing a disingenuous game of creating personalized hysteria; that is destroying this country. The US is already destroyed by it.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah your right. Greater Toronto area is in a bubble. I guess the 6% increase in prices over last year is just a lie.

PS. I suppose this is just a BC thing. soooorrryy

Ok, areas like GTA and Fort McMurray live in a bubble. And soooorryyy it's not just a BC thing. I know here in Edmonton the average price of a house has dropped approximately 15-20% over the past 8 months.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The purpose is to engage the reader and ultimately get them to personalize the narrative; that is, to see the story as more important to them than it really is. It creates viewers and keeps old ones riveted as they become convinced the sky is not only falling but is falling directly on their heads!

The prices of houses are supposed to move up and down. Only a complete idiot would expect their house to continue escalating in value forever. If you look at the birth rate in Canada it becomes even more obvious housing prices are only going to fall. It amazes me how many perfectly sensible people fall for this kind of wish thinking.

In Germany, the first western country to really feel the impact of a low birthrate, entire neighbourhoods have been demolished because there is no one to live in them - how much does the CBC figure those places are worth?

No, the CBC (like all media) is playing a disingenuous game of creating personalized hysteria; that is destroying this country. The US is already destroyed by it.

Many complete idiots in the USA and the UK thought just exactly that Scott. Here in Canada I'm not sure what the prevailing trend is but because of our ties to the American economy it cannot possibly be in a positive direction for to much longer. Could we explore your ideas about this personalized hysteria? I'm not understanding it very well.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Many complete idiots in the USA and the UK thought just exactly that Scott. Here in Canada I'm not sure what the prevailing trend is but because of our ties to the American economy it cannot possibly be in a positive direction for to much longer.

Our low population and resources will go a long way in protecting us. Canada as a country has immense physical collateral.

Could we explore your ideas about this personalized hysteria? I'm not understanding it very well.

The corporate media has discovered it is a lot cheaper to give their opinion of world events then doing actually investigative journalism. This means they need new hooks to keep us interested in their propaganda since their reports are seriously vacant of fact. They do this by telling us about news as a narrative instead of as a list of events. As a narrative they then spin it so it has personal importance. This is the hook intended to keep us listening to their schlock. The reality is that 90% (or more) of "news" stories have no relevance to our personal lives - not even a little bit. The hysteria is created by the idea that somehow the stories do. This is often encouraged by what if scenarios like: "could it happen here?" Once we are all pumped up politicians react to our newly hatched irrational fears; creating strange policies and retarded laws they have no hope in hell of ever being able to enforce. All this because someone wanted to sell some newspapers!

The latest load of sh!t being forced on us by media moguls in BC is teen binge drinkers because some kid somewhere drank themselves to death!!! Are we humans or lemmings? Kids die, people die, it's a part of life. I'm sure some political moron is right now dreaming up some stupid law to sell to the hysterical Oprah Nazis.

In BC we all have to pay at the pump now, that is, pay before we can pump gas. The reason? Some kid died somewhere and "it could happen anywhere!" So we need dumb laws that inconvenience everyone in BC? Now stores have to lock their doors after midnight if they only have one attendant.... wtf is that!!!!! Stores don't get robbed during the day? How does it help to have two people!?!?!

The Maple Leaf meat scare is another one... wtf!!! I'm a healthy 40 year old male and now I'm expected to get all panicy because there is a virus killing people in old folks homes? Yeah right! So now I can't eat cold cuts because some 90 year old somewhere died? Maybe a bunch did... whatever.... give me a club house. I can eat a lot of things 90 year olds can't.

Our hysteria and "life is sacred" mentality is turning us into a nation of f**king sissies!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Our low population and resources will go a long way in protecting us. Canada as a country has immense physical collateral.

The Maple Leaf meat scare is another one... wtf!!! I'm a healthy 40 year old male and now I'm expected to get all panicy because there is a virus killing people in old folks homes? Yeah right! So now I can't eat cold cuts because some 90 year old somewhere died? Maybe a bunch did... whatever.... give me a club house. I can eat a lot of things 90 year olds can't.

Our hysteria and "life is sacred" mentality is turning us into a nation of f**king sissies!

you forgot to mention that it will kill the children and the weak, not just the old.
You got a little carried away with that one.

I sure agree about the media thing, as I think they are the most dangerous, influencial,
selfish, lieing, freaks alive. We have had our ability to figure it out for ourselves sucked
out of us, because they are telling us 'everything', and insisting and suggesting, and
making up headlines about 'what if', just to compete with each other, and it's time now
for all of us to step back, and refuse to take any of it in, because it's only about the
money they are making for themselves, and their job, they want to keep.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
you forgot to mention that it will kill the children and the weak, not just the old.
You got a little carried away with that one.

I don't think so. I suspect since this whole meat debacle has started more people have died in car accidents.

I still drive. I still drive my child around. Statistically that is far more dangerous than eating a sandwich.

So who is over reacting again?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't think so. I suspect since this whole meat debacle has started more people have died in car accidents.

I still drive. I still drive my child around. Statistically that is far more dangerous than eating a sandwich.

So who is over reacting again?

So, do you suggest that they don't bother washing their machinery, and keep cutting the
meat with the dirty blades, cause it really doesn't matter?

And, of course you are right, driving is the most dangerous thing we do, always has been, but
we do it anyway, but with the meat thing, it can be fixed, just find the problem, and fix it, simple.
Cause eating is the most important thing we do, and we have to depend on others to be clean and
prepare our food properly.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
In this area of the island, the real estate prices have risen quite a bit over the last year,
but the house sales have dropped in number, so that can't continue for long, it just
seems that our area is so successful when it comes to real estate, that they are hanging
onto those high prices as long as they keep the suckers coming.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
So, do you suggest that they don't bother washing their machinery, and keep cutting the

Not at all. Issue a warning so those most likely to be affected won't eat the product. By all means clean the equipment but there isn't any reason to destroy all that product - it is just a waste and for no good reason.

And, of course you are right, driving is the most dangerous thing we do, always has been, but
we do it anyway, but with the meat thing, it can be fixed, just find the problem, and fix it, simple.

We drive very little out of necessity. A lot of death could be prevented if people could only drive when they absolutely needed to.

Cause eating is the most important thing we do, and we have to depend on others to be clean and
prepare our food properly.

We have to depend that we have enough information to make informed choices. I'm not going to give my 98 year old granny with liver disease or 2 year old child a bottle of whisky. I have been warned that that might cause problems. I just need to be warned.

What you really mean is that we need people to do our thinking for us. That's a common enough stand but I doubt most people realize that is what they are actually saying.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

I suggest that we all juggle chain saws.

Seriously, dirtly blades? Haven't you bothered reading any of the explanations? The blades are part of the machines that are normally cleaned. The (suspected) point of contamination was further in the machine, where even the manufacturer of the machine didn't suspect needed cleaning.

Back to the topic on hand - here in Saint John, prices aren't dropping, they're still climbing. I suspect that places like Oshawa are starting to feel some pain, though.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not at all. Issue a warning so those most likely to be affected won't eat the product. By all means clean the equipment but there isn't any reason to destroy all that product - it is just a waste and for no good reason.

We drive very little out of necessity. A lot of death could be prevented if people could only drive when they absolutely needed to.

We have to depend that we have enough information to make informed choices. I'm not going to give my 98 year old granny with liver disease or 2 year old child a bottle of whisky. I have been warned that that might cause problems. I just need to be warned.

What you really mean is that we need people to do our thinking for us. That's a common enough stand but I doubt most people realize that is what they are actually saying.

We are a country, not a village of one family, we have to depend on each other, just
as we are responsible in our 'jobs' to do a good job, everyone in the food industry is
responsible for doing a good job as well. I don't expect others to do my thinking for me,
but when I buy a package of food, I want to know that whoever manufactured the
product was 'responsible', that's common sense, not helplessness.
We need to be responsible when working for others, and others whould be responsible
when working for us, we all look after each other, in many ways. That is life.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

The corporate media has discovered it is a lot cheaper to give their opinion of world events then doing actually investigative journalism. This means they need new hooks to keep us interested in their propaganda since their reports are seriously vacant of fact. They do this by telling us about news as a narrative instead of as a list of events. As a narrative they then spin it so it has personal importance. This is the hook intended to keep us listening to their schlock. The reality is that 90% (or more) of "news" stories have no relevance to our personal lives - not even a little bit. The hysteria is created by the idea that somehow the stories do. This is often encouraged by what if scenarios like: "could it happen here?" Once we are all pumped up politicians react to our newly hatched irrational fears; creating strange policies and retarded laws they have no hope in hell of ever being able to enforce. All this because someone wanted to sell some newspapers!

The latest load of sh!t being forced on us by media moguls in BC is teen binge drinkers because some kid somewhere drank themselves to death!!! Are we humans or lemmings? Kids die, people die, it's a part of life. I'm sure some political moron is right now dreaming up some stupid law to sell to the hysterical Oprah Nazis.

In BC we all have to pay at the pump now, that is, pay before we can pump gas. The reason? Some kid died somewhere and "it could happen anywhere!" So we need dumb laws that inconvenience everyone in BC? Now stores have to lock their doors after midnight if they only have one attendant.... wtf is that!!!!! Stores don't get robbed during the day? How does it help to have two people!?!?!

Our low population and resources would be protection in a perfect world but as you know there is a resource war being conducted simultaneously at many points on the globe.
While we have cut a deal with the most likely suspects that is not at all as secure an arrangement as it seems, if things get tough they'll just take it and crush any dissent.
I agree we are a nation of gutless wonders, rageing poofters one and all but I blame it on central heating and sheets and cooking food, stuff our forefathers would find decadent.:smile:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I blame post modern and humanist views where we see ourselves as both the conquerers of the universe and still it's centre. Our pigheaded drive to be something separate from nature, that is, to create a new improved nature with us at it's controls where we are the most valued and central part of nature will ultimately bring the collapse of the entire system. We can not create a new system, we aren't clever enough, but we can continue being the cancer we are and destroy the host that created us; that is what we are after all: a failed species.

There is not one shred of evidence that we are more important than any other species or that our lives are more valuable. It is our opinion only. To maintain that we are the centre and destroy other species like we do is the absolute height of avarice. If a cancer could talk it would tell us it is the centre of the universe, that it's proliferation is more important than it's neighbours. That the body needs to be conquered and a new system put up in its stead. That cells don't need to die, they can turn off their coding and live much longer.