What do humans do for the Earth's biosphere that isn't about humans?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
That's the question Les Knight, spokesman for the whimsically titled Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, wants you to answer.
To be a volunteer means deciding not to have children. For VHETM believers it's a decision for the planet, for species that aren't human, for frogs and lowland gorillas, polar bears and albatrosses.
Read more.
Knight, a substitute high school teacher in Oregon, made that decision some 40 years ago. Is he serious? Should humans really try to make themselves extinct?
Tell us what you think - what do humans do for the Earth's biosphere that isn't about humans?

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
the Earth's biosphere?

Am I the only one who finds that horridly redundant?

As for the Voluntary Extinction Movement.... wow.... if there are people out there who honestly feel that way, then, by all means, please remove yourself from the gene pool.

Education is much more effective for keeping population levels low than anything else. It seems to me that helping organize education would be a better use of their time and resources than just creating a 'no breeding' club.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Surely we as a species exist in and as part of the Earth biosphere and for that matter what does any species, plant or animal do for the biosphere that isn't about that species,survival is all to everything. All things increase in numbers until something else comes along and reduces those numbers,disease or food resources running out. If he waits long enough we'll become extinct anyway as 99% of all the other previous species have already done. Everything is due for extinction eventually so what's his beef, if he's that impatient surely there is a handy cliff nearby he could jump off............

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Humans keep the damn dolfins and other primates from taking up running the show.
No thanks to the rest of you lay about creatures mooching off the planet! 8O
Dogs excepted, thanks pal! ;)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
the Earth's biosphere?

Am I the only one who finds that horridly redundant?

As for the Voluntary Extinction Movement.... wow.... if there are people out there who honestly feel that way, then, by all means, please remove yourself from the gene pool.

Education is much more effective for keeping population levels low than anything else. It seems to me that helping organize education would be a better use of their time and resources than just creating a 'no breeding' club.

Forty years ago my wife and I decided we would limit ourselves to just two children. In a way, I'm kind of sorry we did. The other day I saw a woman, pregnant out to here, carrying a child, while pushing another in a stroller. I watched this little family cause a great caphony of squealing tires and blaring horns when mom stepped off the curb with her stroller in the middle of the block. Darwin just about had his way. Did I just about witness human natural selection?

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
The moment you decide not to have children you cease to exist as far as humanity is concerned. Thus your philosophy, culture, religion etc., are all headed into the same black hole.

Orthodox (Fundamentalist) Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc., will be deciding our future. You however will not.

LOL For a start, the rest of us should study Arabic:)

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
The moment you decide not to have children you cease to exist as far as humanity is concerned. Thus your philosophy, culture, religion etc., are all headed into the same black hole.

Orthodox (Fundamentalist) Jews, Christians, Muslims, etc., will be deciding our future. You however will not.

Have hope. Athiests are 1 billion and growing. Each scientific discovery puts another nail in the coffin of irrational religious beliefs.
Remember when the Earth was flat.
Remember when the Earth went around the sun.
Remember when...
You get the picture. Religion is still trying to keep us in the dark ages but reality will prevail.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Assuming a teaspoon of jizz is the best contribution you can make to humanity.

Just to pull a name out of my hat, Sir Isaac Newton had no children. Do you assert that he did not exist as far as humanity is concerned? How's his philosophy and culture doing?

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
That's the question Les Knight, spokesman for the whimsically titled Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, wants you to answer.
To be a volunteer means deciding not to have children. For VHETM believers it's a decision for the planet, for species that aren't human, for frogs and lowland gorillas, polar bears and albatrosses.
Read more.
Knight, a substitute high school teacher in Oregon, made that decision some 40 years ago. Is he serious? Should humans really try to make themselves extinct?
Tell us what you think - what do humans do for the Earth's biosphere that isn't about humans?

More...
Les Knight should set an example by killing himself and encouraging all his most fervent members to copy him.

Torch light

House Member
Dec 4, 2017
Why should humans restrict their number? If people are peace-makers, they will be concerned with exploiting the desert converting it into cultivated land, and their resources will be more.