Should the Green party be allowed in national leaders debates?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The Green party said Wednesday it's ready to go to court if a consortium of television networks doesn't include party leader Elizabeth May in leaders' debates which will air nationally in advance of the expected October federal election.
The party is giving the consortium "the chance to do the right thing" by including the Greens in the debate, former party leader Jim Harris said at a news conference Wednesday.
"For the sake of democracy, she has to be included," he said. "Electors have a right to know where the Green party stands."
If their demand is rejected, the Greens will lodge a complaint with Canada's broadcasting regulator, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission, he said. If that fails, the Greens will ask for a judicial review as a last resort.
Read full story
Should the Green party be allowed in national leaders debates?

More...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yes.

Absolutely.

But they'd better double the time alotment.....once Elizabeth May gets talking, she can't shut up.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
In the last election, 4.5% of voters cast their ballot for the Green Party. That's more than 1 of every 25 voters. I'd say that crosses a minimum threshold for political legitimacy.

In 1993, the Federal Conservative Party won two seats and they were allowed a seat at the debates before the following election. The Green Party now has one seat in Parliament. That pretty much clinches their argument that they should be present at the debates...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Many thousands of Canadians vote for them. I don't see a good reason why they shouldn't be heard in the debate.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's the only current party that is so hard up for MPs, it gladly took in some bum who wasn't even fit to be called liberal..and seemed quite proud of it. This means nothing to me as i woun't be watching any of the debates & my vote is locked in anyway.[PC]

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
What the Hay!!! The Green Party. The Rhinoceros Party. The Communist Party. The more the merrier!!!
It'll give us all something to laugh about, and more fodder to pick apart the next day. Someone get that
woman a Green stool and a biodegradable Bamboo podium!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
*scratches head*

I thought I replied to this already. Then I realized it's two threads. Any mods around to merge them perchance?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They should definitely be given a slot in the debates, anything to cut into the talk time of the other 3 twits.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yes I think they should. They did some great political work during the pie-throwing period of Canadian politics, my favourite political time, I would vote for them hopeing for an increase in pie assaults on the sleezy corporatist basturds on the other teams.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Sure, if the Rhino and Marxist-Leninist can speak too. There should be a gong on stage also.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Perhaps they could make it even more interesting by making everyone wear a red rubber
ball nose and big floppy shoes if they want to be in the debate. To compete for extra time
to spout and posture, the Leaders (I use the term loosely) could enter into events like they
do on the Japanese game shows...making it informative and entertaining beyond just a
bunch of bickering and sound-bites while trying to drown out the other peoples words...
The moderator could used a foam wrapped canoe paddle for those that speak out of turn.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Greens are out, and that is outrageous.

The three major parties ALL (yes, that includes Dion and Layton) did not want her in......of course, Dion and Layon are busily blaming Harper.....but IMHO they share equal blame.

I watched Layton Sunday as a CBC reporter asked him four (that's 4) times whether Elizabeth May should be included......his evasion was the same every time, "I want to debate Harper". He refused to directly answer the question, which was answer enough.

An outrage.

Idiots all.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The Greens are out, and that is outrageous.

The three major parties ALL (yes, that includes Dion and Layton) did not want her in......of course, Dion and Layon are busily blaming Harper.....but IMHO they share equal blame.

I watched Layton Sunday as a CBC reporter asked him four (that's 4) times whether Elizabeth May should be included......his evasion was the same every time, "I want to debate Harper". He refused to directly answer the question, which was answer enough.

An outrage.

Idiots all.

That is an assumption on your part and does not make it truth. I'd like to debate Harper too....