Would legalizing and regulating street racing reduce deaths?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A southern Ontario man accused of killing a pedestrian while street racing almost two years ago is scheduled to appear Monday in a Hamilton court for the start of his trial.
The victim, Matthew Power, 21, was torn in half by a speeding vehicle in November 2006 as he crossed a Hamilton street at an intersection after watching a hockey game with friends.
Andre Telesford, 30, of Orillia, is accused of dangerous driving causing death and could face up to 14 years in prison.
Since 1999, it's estimated that 38 people have been killed by street racing in Ontario. Last year, the province brought in new laws giving police more discretionary powers, such as the ability to impound vehicles suspected of street racing on the spot and imposing strict fines on drivers.
Street racing can either be spontaneous or well-planned and coordinated. Would legalizing, regulating and controling street racing reduce the number of deaths on our streets?

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Half the allure of street racing is that they are doing something illegal. Why on earth would trying to legalize it make it any safer? Only the small few would take advantage of legal races (which, I might remind people, we have tons of... does the word 'Indy' ring a bell?), the others would still take part in the illegal variety.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I used to street race in the day too - but it wasn't this too-fast-too-furious (and not enough skill for the machine) pseudo rally they do on open streets today. We'd square off on a section of highway. The cops knew. It was hard to hide a procession of ground-pounders on its way out to the Cambray quarter mile. I think we may have had a lot more respect for life, limb and property back then too.

It's not the kill.... It's the thrill of the chase.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
There are already forms of legal racing.... there is no practical way of legalizing "Street Racing" since it's racing on Streets which everybody uses, there are stop signs, speed limits, and a crap load of other laws which everybody else follows. Why should idiots who have no regard for other's safety and just race for the thrill of the risk, as well as money, be able to get legal sanctions to allow them to break the rules of the road to suit their races, all the while risking the safety of others on the road?

It's not going to reduce the amount of deaths and accidents related to street racing, it will only increase the deaths.

And how do they expect to regulate street racing in the first place? A bunch of racers decide that want to take out a few KM's of street for their race, then the city closes that whole area down to suit their needs?

That makes no sense. If you want to race legally..... Use a Race Track, that's what they're for.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Ontario law often called the 'street racing' law isn't about street racing. It's about speeding by more than 40 or 50 km/h over the limit.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Street racing can either be spontaneous or well-planned and coordinated. Would legalizing, regulating and controling street racing reduce the number of deaths on our streets?

Where I live there is a legal street race every Friday night during the summer. The police shut down a street and let people have at it. People will travel hours from other towns just to race. From anything I can see it is a great success.

The trick is to keep it from being over regulated so it doesn't become an event only middle aged enthusiasts can enjoy. To work you have to let everyone race whatever they are driving; so even teenagers in their parents mini van can have a go.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Where I live there is a legal street race every Friday night during the summer. The police shut down a street and let people have at it. People will travel hours from other towns just to race. From anything I can see it is a great success.

The trick is to keep it from being over regulated so it doesn't become an event only middle aged enthusiasts can enjoy. To work you have to let everyone race whatever they are driving; so even teenagers in their parents mini van can have a go.

Good solution to a nightmare problem.