Should pets be allowed on public transit?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
More than 2,500 pet owners in Ottawa have signed a petition urging OC Transpo to allow animals on the buses.
Across Canada, many cities allow small animals in carriers on buses during off hours. But Ottawa is not among them.
OC Transpo has said that up to now there wasn't enough interest in the idea, but there was also worry about passengers having allergic reactions to the pets.
Ottawa bus drivers are vehemently against allowing pets on public transit, the union representing the drivers says.
"We're concerned about the health and safety of our drivers and the bus is our workplace," said André Cornellier, head of the Amalgamated Transit Union.
Sabourin, who has been driving an OC Transpo bus for 19 years, said he is allergic to long-haired cats. He doesn't want to have a sneezing fit while he's driving his bus, he said.
"If I lose control, who's going to be held responsible?" he asked.
Read full story
Should pets be allowed on public transit? What has been your experience in your town?

More...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If some stupid government is going to legislate a car out of existance, and they want people to take the bus everywhere, how's Fluffy supposed to get to the vet's? Someone's sure to complain if they make your pet chase along outside.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Current rules where I live allow for pets in carriers and or strollers, contained in such a way that they may not jump out or lunge at anyone, and you have to pay for the extra room taken up because of it... an extra adult fare.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Current rules where I live allow for pets in carriers and or strollers, contained in such a way that they may not jump out or lunge at anyone, and you have to pay for the extra room taken up because of it... an extra adult fare.
Come on, how is a cat in a carrier sitting in your lap taking up extra space? So you want to charge adult fare for a kid in a stroller too?? The blind guy with his seeing eye dog will be next.

The only concern I might have is those people with allergies.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
They let them on in Toronto. I never had a problem with my dog. We didn't have to pay an extra fare or anything.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Come on, how is a cat in a carrier sitting in your lap taking up extra space? So you want to charge adult fare for a kid in a stroller too?? The blind guy with his seeing eye dog will be next.

The only concern I might have is those people with allergies.

They charge for children in strollers (child fare). They essentially charge for floor space. Dogs get charged as adults presumably to discourage a lot of people from using the bus for them.

As for people with allergies... unless you're going to enforce too much perfume as well, dogs are no worse. If you have an allergy, going out in public MAY set it off.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They let them on in Toronto. I never had a problem with my dog. We didn't have to pay an extra fare or anything.

I think if a dog was on a leash it would be a LOT less of a pain in the rear than packing a doggie stroller on. Plus, it would take up next to no space... you can essentially shove it wherever there's room.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, they shouldn't be allowed.

Alternatively, if you want to carry your cat on the bus, please allow me to sneeze in your face repeatedly.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I think if a dog was on a leash it would be a LOT less of a pain in the rear than packing a doggie stroller on. Plus, it would take up next to no space... you can essentially shove it wherever there's room.
What the hell is a doggie stroller???

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Definately not, we should have separate national public transportation for pets.

Oh that sounds like a wonderful idea. So you gotta go drop off your pet on one bus or subway, then walk over to the "Human" bus or subway and get on that..... you then have to try and meet up with your pet near the same time before someone either steals it, or a bunch of kids pour gas all over the carrier and set it on fire so you have a burning, screaming little puppy melting in a plastic carrier as you arrive.

Not to mention the additional fare being pointless, and a totally different transport being a complete waste of resources, there is no need of it.

Throw your animal in a carrier, put them on your lap, sit down, shut up, same goes for the animal.... and there shouldn't be a problem.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Oh, and I don't remember paying an extra fare to get on the bus here when I had something that took up some space. Parents come on with one or two strollers and they don't get charged, because children under 12 ride for free here, and if they're in a stroller, that doesn't make them 12 all of a sudden, therefore it still applies.

And the newer buses here have fold up seats for people in wheelchairs, and when it's folded up for one wheel chair, 3 seats are gone..... yet they are still charged the same amount as everybody else.

People come on with their geroceries and boxes of crap, or book bags, and they normally sit them on the seat beside them..... they don't get charged an extra fair..... it's just common sense that when the bus get's filled, put the crap on your lap or take a hike jack. If you're some snob ass taking up two spaces where you only need to take up one if you put your stuff on your lap, then either other passengers will ask you to move your stuff..... then tell you to move your stuff..... and then by that moment, it's a toss up on whether the passengers will take matters into their own hands, or the bus driver will stop, tell them to move their sh*t or get the hell off the bus, as he won't move it any further until one of the two decisions are made....... and when you suddenly become the centre of everybody's reason why they will be late.... it's usually just best to co-operate.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Just when I thought I'd seen it all-are these things meant for healthy dogs or disabled dogs? :)

They're meant for healthy dogs.... dogs that people want with them at all times, want to take on the bus, into stores, to the restaurant, etc. The little toy dogs who, after three blocks of walking, have run what would be for you a three mile marathon due to the practical non existence of their legs, and are already exhausted.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

Yeah, they just had to be on leash there. It was never a problem. The dogs were often less trouble than the adults. He'd just sit on my lap and cringe anytime anybody tried to pet him or awwwed at his cuteness.