Should pedestrians put away their iPods?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Two fatal traffic accidents in Calgary this past weekend have police, paramedics and safety experts urging drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to slow down and pay more attention during the summer months.
FULL STORY
While drivers are traditionally encouraged to be extra cautious at this time of year because of a spike in summer traffic deaths, some are calling for pedestrians and cyclists to leave their cellphones and iPods off and pay attention to the road.
Do you listen to music while you walk or bike?
Like drivers, should cyclists and pedestrians restrict their use of cellphones and iPods?

More...

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Oh give me a f***ing break already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goddamn nanny state!

I really am starting to hate this country. Seriously! What a bunch of panty wastes!

I'm not kidding. I'm going to start looking around for a new country.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't see why a pedestrian should have to, no, at least not if they're crossing at legal crosswalks, etc. The onus is on the driver of the massive death machine to be paying attention.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
True, the onus is on the driver, but smart folks don't argue right-of-way with something that's got a much better weight advantage.

If most of them would remember the elephant in the sailor suit - Do y'all remember his name? - and the safety rules we learned in grade school so many years ago (whall ... I did anyhow. That was in the days kids grew up responsible for their actions) ... yeah, they can have their ipods. If they're just going to hold some poor driver accountable for pedestrian stupidity ... back over 'em. Dead folks can't sue! (Just kiddin' there folks. It really does suck when idiots make a big responsibility even bigger though)

Look both ways before you cross the street.
Walk, don't run, when you cross the road.
Never cross from between parked cars.
Walk facing traffic where there is no sidewalk.
Ride your bike safely and obey the rules of the road.
WALK your bike across the street and then only in a crosswalk.
Play in the playground.

Last edited:

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Oh give me a f***ing break already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goddamn nanny state!

I really am starting to hate this country. Seriously! What a bunch of panty wastes!

I'm not kidding. I'm going to start looking around for a new country.

Where would you go? The only place with all the freedoms you seem to desire has been closed because everyone died in accidents.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Where would you go?

I don't know really. I'm going to start looking around though.

The only place with all the freedoms you seem to desire has been closed because everyone died in accidents.

Well I'm here aren't I? It seems my relatives made it through time fine without all these idiot laws. Maybe I'm just made of better stuff? It's too bad you have to be so protected from natural selection. Tell me, what's it like being a poodle?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It won't matter where anyone "goes". The system is designed to ensure the money-lenders that you're around long enough to allow them to siphon off whatever's possible in your future. You've been conditioned to believe you "need" ipods and cell phones.... big screen TV's and automobiles that choke the life out of societies and environments. You have no qualms buying goods made in China, or from huge corporations that maintain sweatshops around the world. You've been bought and sold. It's the world that everyone celebrates.....

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
I don't know really. I'm going to start looking around though.

Well I'm here aren't I? It seems my relatives made it through time fine without all these idiot laws. Maybe I'm just made of better stuff? It's too bad you have to be so protected from natural selection. Tell me, what's it like being a poodle?

The problem with natural selection is that you might not be the one selected. You are only here because your ancestors were protected and helped by their family grouping and their rules.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The problem with natural selection is that you might not be the one selected. You are only here because your ancestors were protected and helped by their family grouping and their rules.

Naw ... I'm only here because (in one case anyhow) the ancestor emigrated of his choice rather than stand trial and be deported to Australia - where the Law donks 'em with equal stupididy but at least the winters are warm....

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I don't see why a pedestrian should have to, no, at least not if they're crossing at legal crosswalks, etc. The onus is on the driver of the massive death machine to be paying attention.

Mabe under the law the onus is on the driver, but if the pedestrian ends up 6 feet under for not being alert and stepping in front of a car/truck (whick can't stop immediately) I would say the blame should be in the irresponsible pedestrian. Regarding crosswalks, the onus is already on the pedestrian to make sure the traffic stops before stepping into the roadway.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Mabe under the law the onus is on the driver, but if the pedestrian ends up 6 feet under for not being alert and stepping in front of a car/truck (whick can't stop immediately) I would say the blame should be in the irresponsible pedestrian. Regarding crosswalks, the onus is already on the pedestrian to make sure the traffic stops before stepping into the roadway. [/quote]

Did you pass a driving test re: right of way at crosswalks?

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
That's just a retarded idea.... if people can sit in their air conditioned vehicles and listen to their own music blasting as loud as they want, talking on their damn cell phones (Even though the laws here now make that illegal ~ They still do it) and putting all their damn makup on in the mirror, then a damn person walking down the sidewalk and across crosswalks should have every right to listen to their own damn music.

What are they going to do with people who are deaf? Tell them they should pay more attention and grow some working ears? Yeah, we'll see how well that goes.

Too many people in the Halifax area recently have been struck and killed While in a Cross Walk from some idiot in a car..... by legal terms they should have been charged, since the person in an intersection or cross walk first has the right of way.

And don't forget, it's the people driving the cars who have the responsibility to keep their damn eyes on the road. They're the ones who took the courses and got the license stating they're a safe driver for the roads and know the rules of the road.

It has nothing to do with people walking and listening to music, people have been doing that for decades now.... there has been an increase of collisions between vehicles and people walking, esspecially in intersections, because drivers today have slack education and more distractions.

If you can't see someone walking out on a crosswalk or intersection and you hit them, you either A: Were going too fast to react to the environment to prevent an accident, or B: Just simply not paying attention to their surroundings.

Frig.... humans arn't like deer jumping out from the damn woods at 3 in the morning.... I have never come close to any incident in my driving history where I almost hit someone, or someone popped out of nowhere that I was unaware of.....

There is no excuse to hit people with your damn cars except hydroplanes and ice and trying to pass the buck to pedestrians because they listen to music is a cheap scape goat from the real problem.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
It won't matter where anyone "goes". The system is designed to ensure the money-lenders that you're around long enough to allow them to siphon off whatever's possible in your future. You've been conditioned to believe you "need" ipods and cell phones.... big screen TV's and automobiles that choke the life out of societies and environments. You have no qualms buying goods made in China, or from huge corporations that maintain sweatshops around the world. You've been bought and sold. It's the world that everyone celebrates.....

Oh well.... I like my music, and I see a bit of irony about listening to my music about freeing the world on my Mp3 player made from slave labour. :p

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Frig.... humans arn't like deer jumping out from the damn woods at 3 in the morning.... I have never come close to any incident in my driving history where I almost hit someone, or someone popped out of nowhere that I was unaware of.....

Aren't you the lucky one?

I would venture to say I've probably backed up more miles than you have ever driven forward but I wouldn't let cock-sure attitude follow me into a driver's seat. Have you ever had a high-speed tricycle and a thrill-seeking four-year-old come whizzing down a sloped driveway and straight out into the road? ...or had a soccer ball scoot from a line of parked cars turn into a kid on a break-away intent on regaining control? ...or a bike courier get trapped in a streetcar flangeway just as he's zipped past your window? It happens fast so never say never because I don't care who you are or how great you think you are, you can never be fully aware.

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Mabe under the law the onus is on the driver, but if the pedestrian ends up 6 feet under for not being alert and stepping in front of a car/truck (whick can't stop immediately) I would say the blame should be in the irresponsible pedestrian. Regarding crosswalks, the onus is already on the pedestrian to make sure the traffic stops before stepping into the roadway. [/quote]

Did you pass a driving test re: right of way at crosswalks?

Of course I did, but the pedestrian is still required to wait to make sure the traffic has stopped. Only an idiot would step out in front of a moving velicle, right of way or not.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Aren't you the lucky one?

It has nothing to do with luck, it's called "Keeping your eyes on the road and paying attention." ~ Something that got lost over the years by many. Vehicles are a mode of transportation and should be treated as such.... not some home away from home to watch your movies on your dashboard or to have some machine telling you how to drive and when to turn.

I would venture to say I've probably backed up more miles than you have ever driven forward but I wouldn't let cock-sure attitude follow me into a driver's seat.

I don't fk'n care if you learned how to make your car float in the air from the amount of gas released from your ass while farting and driving at the same time.... you could have been driving for 70 years and still not know how to drive properly, trust me, I know plenty of old farts who claim to be expert drivers, who at the same time telling me this, run through a red light, don't check their blind spots.... hell they don't even know wtf a turn signal is for...... and it's usually people with that attitude who end up in accidents and then freak out at the other person in the accident for their own stupid mistakes.

The amount of years you have under your belt as a driver or the amount of experience you think you have is irrelevent.... it's whether or not you actually know what to do properly behind the wheel and are a safe driver. Driving a car is not a right, it's a privilage, and the moment you start acting like you own the roads, is usually the moment you end up making very bad decisions.

Have you ever had a high-speed tricycle and a thrill-seeking four-year-old come whizzing down a sloped driveway and straight out into the road? ...or had a soccer ball scoot from a line of parked cars turn into a kid on a break-away intent on regaining control? ...or a bike courier get trapped in a streetcar flangeway just as he's zipped past your window? It happens fast so never say never because I don't care who you are or how great you think you are, you can never be fully aware.

Apparently you wern't trained properly to deal with those situations, so don't go crapping on me for your own failures.

Did you hit that 4 year old on the trike who flew onto the street from a sloped driveway? My guess from your explination is that you didn't..... therefore you were doing what you needed to do to avoid that situation, which was paying attention to the road and surrounding area.

If you hit the kid, then that's your fault for not paying enough attention and should have your license revoked.

Those kids playing soccer, Have you ever been taught to look under parked cars for feet and activity ahead of you to see if there is any potiential of someone not seeing you and stepping out in front of you whom normally might not be at a normal viewing height? Do you even bother to see ahead of you or near you children playing near the sides of the roads and do you even bother to slow down in these areas or do you just drive through at full speed and shrug off the consequences? Do you bother to understand that you are driving through an area where it is common knowlege that children play in that area and might be on the roads?

As it goes for the bike rider, they are using the roads the same as anybody else operating a vehicle, and must abide by the same traffic laws and rules as everybody else on the road, therefore they can and will be just as liable for an accident based on their actions as you would be inside your vehicle..... that has nothing to do with people walking through a cross walk listening to music.

Things do happen fast on the roads at anytime, anywhere, but that doesn't mean there are not procedures one can be taught to look and avoid these situations as best as possible.

In the cases where I live, it has been mostly school children walking in a marked cross walks where they were struck by a vehicle, and I don't care how great you think you are in catching things or not, you proceed with futher caution in areas that you know there will be pedestrians and you should be driving at a proper speed to allow you time to stop ahead of where you can see in case of an emergency.

That is also why there are guidlines for how far back you should be behind another vehicle on the highways or city streets, because if they slam on their breaks for whatever reason, you must have enough distance between you and that vehicle to properly stop, which can be between 1-3 car lengths, depending.

And if you can't take the damn time to look ahead of where you are driving and to see what's off to the sides of the roads that might come into your path of driving, then you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It has nothing to do with luck, it's called "Keeping your eyes on the road and paying attention." ~ Something that got lost over the years by many. Vehicles are a mode of transportation and should be treated as such.... not some home away from home to watch your movies on your dashboard or to have some machine telling you how to drive and when to turn.

I don't fk'n care if you learned how to make your car float in the air from the amount of gas released from your ass while farting and driving at the same time.... you could have been driving for 70 years and still not know how to drive properly, trust me, I know plenty of old farts who claim to be expert drivers, who at the same time telling me this, run through a red light, don't check their blind spots.... hell they don't even know wtf a turn signal is for...... and it's usually people with that attitude who end up in accidents and then freak out at the other person in the accident for their own stupid mistakes.

The amount of years you have under your belt as a driver or the amount of experience you think you have is irrelevent.... it's whether or not you actually know what to do properly behind the wheel and are a safe driver. Driving a car is not a right, it's a privilage, and the moment you start acting like you own the roads, is usually the moment you end up making very bad decisions.

Apparently you wern't trained properly to deal with those situations, so don't go crapping on me for your own failures.

Did you hit that 4 year old on the trike who flew onto the street from a sloped driveway? My guess from your explination is that you didn't..... therefore you were doing what you needed to do to avoid that situation, which was paying attention to the road and surrounding area.

If you hit the kid, then that's your fault for not paying enough attention and should have your license revoked.

Those kids playing soccer, Have you ever been taught to look under parked cars for feet and activity ahead of you to see if there is any potiential of someone not seeing you and stepping out in front of you whom normally might not be at a normal viewing height? Do you even bother to see ahead of you or near you children playing near the sides of the roads and do you even bother to slow down in these areas or do you just drive through at full speed and shrug off the consequences? Do you bother to understand that you are driving through an area where it is common knowlege that children play in that area and might be on the roads?

As it goes for the bike rider, they are using the roads the same as anybody else operating a vehicle, and must abide by the same traffic laws and rules as everybody else on the road, therefore they can and will be just as liable for an accident based on their actions as you would be inside your vehicle..... that has nothing to do with people walking through a cross walk listening to music.

Things do happen fast on the roads at anytime, anywhere, but that doesn't mean there are not procedures one can be taught to look and avoid these situations as best as possible.

In the cases where I live, it has been mostly school children walking in a marked cross walks where they were struck by a vehicle, and I don't care how great you think you are in catching things or not, you proceed with futher caution in areas that you know there will be pedestrians and you should be driving at a proper speed to allow you time to stop ahead of where you can see in case of an emergency.

That is also why there are guidlines for how far back you should be behind another vehicle on the highways or city streets, because if they slam on their breaks for whatever reason, you must have enough distance between you and that vehicle to properly stop, which can be between 1-3 car lengths, depending.

And if you can't take the damn time to look ahead of where you are driving and to see what's off to the sides of the roads that might come into your path of driving, then you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

In your case, it has a lot do do with luck because it has not happened to you ... YET. This wasn't an attack against you but if you want to read it as such, go for it. That's the sort of attitude that fuels road rage ... thus, F/U's behind the wheel.

FYI I have logged well over two million accident-free miles and still wouldn't dare to think I'm better than the guy in the other car.

Remember that dime a dozen thing?

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
In your case, it has a lot do do with luck because it has not happened to you ... YET. This wasn't an attack against you but if you want to read it as such, go for it. That's the sort of attitude that fuels road rage ... thus, F/U's behind the wheel.

I don't have that attitude while I'm driving, and I'm not currently driving as I type this, so my attitude here is irrelevent. And when you start off by "Well I have such and such amount of years of experience, what do you have?" attitude, what's one supposed to take it as?

FYI I have logged well over two million accident-free miles and still wouldn't dare to think I'm better than the guy in the other car.

Remember that dime a dozen thing?

I don't know how many miles I have under my belt, since I read everything in Kms these days.... that and I don't take regular monitorings of how much I drive or for how long.... I just go to point A to point B.

And my original argument wasn't towards people such as yourself who seem to know how to look out and prevent these things from happening..... and if you have that many accident-free miles under your belt, then you're doing what I am arguing about..... you pay attention, which is a good thing.

I'm talking about the idiots who are talking about their trivial lives on the phone with Susan Noname, or has a movie playing right beside their steering wheel, or just don't know the basics of checking blind spots, using turn signals, or listen to their GPS devices like the bible and turn full speed into a construction site, etc. ~ Those are the people I'm complaining about, and they do exist.

My basic point I was trying to say is that the majority of the accidents here I keep coming across where someone was hit and killed in a cross walk, they all could have been easily prevented if people were doing what they are supposed to be doing when driving.

Freak accidents like a squid falling out of the sky, or a moose standing in the middle of the road at the middle of the night on a sharp turn can and will happen, and sometimes, based on weather and the condition of your car, along with your level of attention and fatigue all play a role in your ability to avoid or hit that situation.

I just hold frustration to those people who are obviously not trained properly in the use of a motor vehicle and get into stupid accidents that could have been prevented.