How rich do you feel?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Surging real estate values and a strong economy helped drive up the number of millionaire families in Canada to 1.1 million in 2005, according to a Statistics Canada report released Monday.
The proportion of families with a net worth of $1 million or more rose to nine per cent in 2005 from five per cent in 1999. The number of millionaire baby boomers in their 50s jumped to16 per cent from six per cent, and among Canadians in their 40s rose to nine per cent from two per cent.
"While non-millionaires derived most of their wealth from home equity and an employer pension plan, millionaires' wealth came mostly from net financial assets, followed by business and home equity."
A growing number of millionaire families also reported carrying debt, rising from 51 per cent in 1999 to 58 per cent in 2005. By comparison, 71 per cent of non-millionaire families carried debt in 2005, up from 68 per cent in 1999.
Read full story
How rich do you feel??

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Richer than most, but, once I finish spending my time lounging around nude beaches in the French Riviera, touring the Champagne region, and eating croissants for breakfast, it will be back to my normal life as a middle class housewife pinching pennies for retirement.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quoting Kreskin I have a friend who is insanely positive and happy. She laughs almost always, and nearly uncontrollably. I literally don't have the energy to keep up with it. She laughs and I just give her a deadpan look because if I responded with the same kind of zest all the time I'd end up in a coma or a mental institution from exhaustion. This goes on for a couple of weeks then it all comes crashing down for a couple of days. Usually migraine headache. I don't think the brain was meant to be that happy and will go through a natural correction.
I don't think that your friend's joy full "outbursts" have anything to do with happiness or having a positive attitude . One of characteristics of a positive person is knowing where he is going and being in full control of his emotions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't think that your friend's joy full "outbursts" have anything to do with happiness or having a positive attitude . One of characteristics of a positive person is knowing where he is going and being in full control of his emotions.

why would you go to all the trouble of putting your response to him in a completely different thread china? Odd.

triedit

inimitable
This is actually an issue with me and hubby. I feel VERY VERY rich. He feels very very poor. I see that we have a great apt, a new car, and tens of thousands of dollars available credit--plus we never have to worry about food or utilities, and take trips to see our widely scattered families every year. He sees that we're "only" saving $250 a month (in addition to his retirement and long term investments) and spending the rest of the paychecks. It's all about perspective. We definitely have it better than a very many people, and I was a welfare mom for most of my adult life--well 1990-2000--raising two kids on my own. So it sure looks rosey from my "Deeeelux apartment in the skyyyyy"

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I'm doing all right: good income, no debt, house is paid for etc,. I am due to inherit well too but I don't feel rich at all. I'm not even sure what rich is. I don't feel poor either. What I do feel is lucky.