What did you think of the government's apology to aboriginal Canadians?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I became very emotional, as I listened, which surprised me, so I realize now, that I
was ashamed and embarrassed of what our white brothers and sisters did to those
'real canadians', and although nothing can ever repair the damage, an apology is important,
to say out loud how horrible those acts were, and we are all truly sorry.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm with you Talloola. I felt shame as I listened to Harper's speech. He nearly lost his composure a number of times. I offer my deepest apologies to our aboriginal people for the terrible deeds that were placed upon you by such inconsiderate and cold hearted criminals. If any of them are alive they should be tried for crimes against humanity.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
What did I think? I was deeply ashamed of our government yesterday for offering such a silly apology. I detest this trend of PC people to apologize for "crimes" we did not do. What was past is past, let it go. I do not see the error in trying to bring the Gospel and civilization to a backwards people. Yes, some abuse happened, but all in all the role of the Church was pure and its intentions good.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I became very emotional, as I listened, which surprised me, so I realize now, that I
was ashamed and embarrassed of what our white brothers and sisters did to those
'real canadians', and although nothing can ever repair the damage, an apology is important,
to say out loud how horrible those acts were, and we are all truly sorry.

I was amazed how recently this was actually going on. A real embrassment!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes, some abuse happened...

Good intentions don't make up for this sanctus. An apology was absolutely in order given the horrors that were visited upon some people, and the repercussions some families still feel from it. There is only so much that we can do to repair this since we didn't do it, and an apology is a much deserved acknowledgment. I can guarantee that the attitude of 'we meant good for you backwards people' will just continue to drive a wedge. I know there's no darn way would I be taking my kids to church if I was given the impression by a single priest or nun in our parish that abuse was okay so long as there was a good intention behind it. "Sure, I slapped your daughter, but, it will teach her to be more humble."

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
The Natives were forced to place their kids in these schools and the school was told to try to remove the indian from them...now they still suffer for what they went through...do I think it was neccesary to appologize even though I didn't do it...YES I DO....

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The Natives were forced to place their kids in these schools and the school was told to try to remove the indian from them...now they still suffer for what they went through...do I think it was neccesary to appologize even though I didn't do it...YES I DO....

They weren't even forced to place their children in those schools, they were taken from them. I'd call it State sanctioned kidnapping at best, and State run genocide at worst.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think a more fitting term T would be state and church funded eugenics. The attempt to control and alter a population or race.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The apology was fine as far as it went but neither we, nor the First Nations have learned a thing. Davis Inlet is just one of a hundred prime examples. We built the original village at Davis Inlet and when that village was worn out we built another at Natuashish with all new infrastructure, water and sewer and electrical services. After five or six years the new village is in just about as bad shape as the old one. The children are still sniffing gasoline and their parents are still playing bingo. This is not surprising since there are no jobs to be had within a hundred miles. The children must look at their parents and cannot help being depressed with that future to look forward to. The old way of living off the land no longer works.......Welcome to the twenty first century.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What did I think? I was deeply ashamed of our government yesterday for offering such a silly apology. I detest this trend of PC people to apologize for "crimes" we did not do. What was past is past, let it go. I do not see the error in trying to bring the Gospel and civilization to a backwards people. Yes, some abuse happened, but all in all the role of the Church was pure and its intentions good.

How very sanctimonious of you.:roll:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The apology was fine as far as it went but neither we, nor the First Nations have learned a thing. Davis Inlet is just one of a hundred prime examples. We built the original village at Davis Inlet and when that village was worn out we built another at Natuashish with all new infrastructure, water and sewer and electrical services. After five or six years the new village is in just about as bad shape as the old one. The children are still sniffing gasoline and their parents are still playing bingo. This is not surprising since there are no jobs to be had within a hundred miles. The children must look at their parents and cannot help being depressed with that future to look forward to. The old way of living off the land no longer works.......Welcome to the twenty first century.

I think the apology was a good step toward being able to focus honestly on exactly that sort of issue juan.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think the apology was a good step toward being able to focus honestly on exactly that sort of issue juan.

I don't know what the best remedy would be but the children should be educated to where they can properly join society. Maybe we could build some schools were the children could live...............Oops............ bin there....done that....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Don't laugh juan. Boarding school in and of itself isn't a bad idea. I think there are some native families that would choose that route given... *gasp*... CHOICE.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

With all due respect sir, that's exactly the kind of thinking that got us in this mess in the first place. Yes lets leave the past behind, especially baggage carried over from medieval times.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Don't laugh juan. Boarding school in and of itself isn't a bad idea. I think there are some native families that would choose that route given... *gasp*... CHOICE.

I know Karrie but the first three people to suggest doing it again might get shot. The original residential schools were a good idea that went terribly wrong.

I think the biggest problem is, and will be, convincing natives that the old ways don't work any more. But look at any native Canadian's pantry and you will find it full of canned goods, and flour and sugar.........Not dried berries and pemmican.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Just let me clarify... I'M NOT SUGGESTING IT!!!

*ducks behind the couch to continue typing out of sight*

Native families seem to recognize that living exclusively by the old ways (and I say exclusively, because I know a lot of natives who do hunt and gather and practice many of their old traditions) doesn't work in most of Canada. I'm seeing more and more families who are choosing to move off the reservations and live within the communities surrounding them instead. Again, given the choice, that might be the right decision. I guess time will tell.