Should bus drivers be tested for drug and alcohol use?

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
I drive trains and I'm tested for drugs and alcohol. How can it violate human rights, what about the passengers right not to be killed or injured. Not a big deal for me as I don't do drugs and not much alcohol. The best test is to ask if a driver would let their children be driven by a driver they knew took drugs or had been drinking.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
No bloody way. I'd rather keep my constitutional rights thank you. How about this. All drivers be tested for drugs and alcohol. Nobody would be on the road in time. Maybe everyone that goes on public property should be tested. When you are in public you are a potential danger to other people, especially if you smoked a joint three days ago.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No bloody way. I'd rather keep my constitutional rights thank you. How about this. All drivers be tested for drugs and alcohol. Nobody would be on the road in time. Maybe everyone that goes on public property should be tested. When you are in public you are a potential danger to other people, especially if you smoked a joint three days ago.

Ah, therein lies the annoyance for me... WHICH drugs to test for and in what levels. Marijuana bungs up the whole system by being so hard to tell which, where, and when they smoked it and how it impacts their system. I really wish the gov would stop fricking around, and do some solid testing and come up with some solid answers for performance 2, 3, 4 days after, ya know?

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Would you want one of your kids or other family member being driven by a drunk?? Its not all about you, pal.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The more I considered this though... what interval of testing would they endure? Daily piss tests? Breathalyzers? Because pot's really the only drug that's hard to slip past these tests if they're only done on rare occasions. The others are in and out of your system too quickly.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Ah, therein lies the annoyance for me... WHICH drugs to test for and in what levels. Marijuana bungs up the whole system by being so hard to tell which, where, and when they smoked it and how it impacts their system. I really wish the gov would stop fricking around, and do some solid testing and come up with some solid answers for performance 2, 3, 4 days after, ya know?

No annoyance for me......pot is illegal, 0 tolerance. You damn right they should be tested. They drive a multi ton bus ful of people that rely on them.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No annoyance for me......pot is illegal, 0 tolerance. You damn right they should be tested. They drive a multi ton bus ful of people that rely on them.

I know enough people who smoke on weekends to know they're perfectly fine drivers during the week. Whereas, the meth heads I've known, the coke heads, etc, are NOT fine when they're not high. They're jittery, nervous, etc, and yet if they're not high, you're not likely to catch them on a drug test. And they're the ones that need to be screened out the most.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Why just a driver, what about other jobs? In a bank, office or factory. How about a teacher you know does drugs or drinks, would you let them teach your kids? Is it only safety that concerns everyone or are they not acceptable in any work environment?:-?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why just a driver, what about other jobs? In a bank, office or factory. How about a teacher you know does drugs or drinks, would you let them teach your kids? Is it only safety that concerns everyone or are they not acceptable in any work environment?:-?

In hubby's company, only safety sensitive positions are held up to drug testing. Secretaries, etc, are exempt. Basically, the only time they'll be drug testing you is if you're regularly in a position where you can kill other people through delayed reaction times or impaired judgement.

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
Yes, I have a "safety critical" job but I still wouldn't want some pothead doing my bank account details or my medical records.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes, I have a "safety critical" job but I still wouldn't want some pothead doing my bank account details or my medical records.

They tend to work along side other people though, so, if they're high or drunk, others pick it up. Typically.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I know enough people who smoke on weekends to know they're perfectly fine drivers during the week. Whereas, the meth heads I've known, the coke heads, etc, are NOT fine when they're not high. They're jittery, nervous, etc, and yet if they're not high, you're not likely to catch them on a drug test. And they're the ones that need to be screened out the most.

Yeah but they are still breaking the law. And how do you know they are perfectly fine drivers during the week? And do they drive on the weekend?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah but they are still breaking the law.

Is 'breaking the law' the issue? Or is safety? Because plenty of people break the law in plenty of different ways, but it doesn't mean they're putting anyone else at risk when they drive.

And how do you know they are perfectly fine drivers during the week? And do they drive on the weekend?

I ride on occasion with plenty of people who smoke, and all are fine drivers. Only one that I know of drives once he's been smoking that day.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Cry me a river about a bit of weed. Nobody's ever pounded anyone else senseless because a couple of toots turned 'em into Hercules.

How many of you have ever poured a drink for a friend from your bottle?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Cry me a river about a bit of weed. Nobody's ever pounded anyone else senseless because a couple of toots turned 'em into Hercules.

How many of you have ever poured a drink for a friend from your bottle?

Methinks the whole thing's getting a bit side tracked.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Methinks the whole thing's getting a bit side tracked.

Oh ... that happens when someone wants to make a distinction between legal impaired and illegal impaired.

As a professional driver, I was held to a higher standard. As I drove something that could easily take out a few dozen cars if something screwed up, my employer (and, co-incidently, the guy who pays for the insurance) gets a certain amount of comfort in knowing a potential screw-up wasn't in my lack of respect for the task at hand.

Why shouldn't bus drivers be tested. Hell, my grandkid might be on that bus....

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Karrie, no its not getting sidetracked. First I wouldn't want someone 'breaking the law' or under the influence driving my kids around. And just because you think your friends are perfectly fine drivers when under the influence, doesn't mean that their judgement or reaction time wouldn't be affected in an emergency.