Polar Bears: What should Canada do?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Perhaps tours can be arranged, instead of 1 hunter they could take small groups, 10@$3000 each is the same as 1 @$30,000. Video is almost as good as a rug. Bears that die naturally could be sold for the hide although that could easily be abused.
You would think that the US would now have to get on the bandwagon of reducing the gases that are considered as part of the Global warming problem. (even though there is some dispute, if they 'officially' accept emissions as part of the problem they should take immediate steps to 'do their part'. I wouldn't hold my breath that it goes anything beyond a ban on extracting oil and gas products)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Study up on Northern Onrario's blackbear problem and you'll get a great example how government - or lobbyists - don't have a clue about bruins. Teddy is NOT these critters.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I never call something that can eat me Teddy.

:lol:

My suggestion would be to continue the hunt and thin the population. Northern packs? prides? (WTH do you call a bear community?) will continue to hunt as before as they stay on the pack ice. Southern ones are going to have a long (and suicidal) swin to the pack so as cold as it sounds, culling them out may be the kindest option.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Pack works for polar Bears, other bears are sloth or sleuth.

The southern bears (ones that spend time on land) wait for the ice to come to them. Hunting usually takes the biggest bears, those are the strongest, take them away (through something as stupid a trophy hunting) and the weakens the survival of the fittest. All hunters should be required to eat the whole bear also before he can take the hide home.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Pack works for polar Bears, other bears are sloth or sleuth.

The southern bears (ones that spend time on land) wait for the ice to come to them. Hunting usually takes the biggest bears, those are the strongest, take them away (through something as stupid a trophy hunting) and the weakens the survival of the fittest. All hunters should be required to eat the whole bear also before he can take the hide home.

Yeah ... I have found a few skinned and rotting carcasses of Blackbears - even when we still had the spring hunt. Really burns my butt that they gave their lives only for the hide, sex parts and a gall bladder. Killing the spring hunt may have been the stupidest thing Ontario ever did - but I wonder what they'd have to say about a poacher vanishing into the depths of some good ol' Northern Ontario muskeg?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Going down would seem to be a bit slower way to go than being eaten by a bear. We do it for every species, even moose are not exempt from becoming a trophy.
How long is the list Ontario has that fall under 'stupid things'?

Any plans out yet as to how to fill up the Great Lakes from James Bay with fresh water, I seem to recall that sea-ice is fresh water.

When farming peat you have to add sand at a certain ratio(66% more topsoil) that stops any possibility of it catching fire and this also allows for the passage of roots.

Last edited: