Have you noticed this in your workplace?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A preoccupation with rising gas prices is spilling over into the workplace, leaving employees distracted and tense, a new U.S. study suggests.
Researcher Wayne Hochwarter, a professor of management at Florida State University in Tallahassee, surveyed more than 800 full-time workers in the spring as gas prices climbed to about $3.50 a gallon.
The respondents, all of whom had an average round-trip commute of 48 kilometres, reported feeling distracted, less attentive and tense.
"Employees were simply unable to detach themselves from the stress caused by escalating gas prices as they walked through the doors at work," Hochwarter said in a release.
Full story
Have you noticed this in your workplace?

More...

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
... all of whom had an average round-trip commute of 48 kilometres...

they lost me here.

how can they ALL have an average distance commute? they collectively had an average commute, but not individually. Journalists still have to study english before getting a job, don't they?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What do you expect from popular media.

it's not the media that worries me, it's that a professor at a university would do research like this and release it to the media without publication and review by their peers. If I, a student, can see the way these stats seem to rely on assorted biases to get a result, then surely an actual professor ought to be able to see the flaws? No?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
it's not the media that worries me, it's that a professor at a university would do research like this and release it to the media without publication and review by their peers. If I, a student, can see the way these stats seem to rely on assorted biases to get a result, then surely an actual professor ought to be able to see the flaws? No?

Hmmm. Good point. Our schools are screwed too.8O

But really. The media published a non peer reviewed study as fact. They do that stuff all the time.