How has the global food crisis affected you?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Amid rising food prices and dwindling supplies worldwide, Ottawa announced Wednesday it will pledge an extra $50 million to combat the global crisis.
International Co-operation Minister Bev Oda said the additional money will mean Canada will contribute a total of $230 million to the UN's World Food Program in 2008.
The announcement comes a day before the UN deadline for emergency aid contributions from donor countries in what the World Food Program is calling the worst food crisis in 40 years.
The World Food Program is seeking an extra $755 million in food aid from donor countries, a 30 per cent increase in its overall budget.
Canada, which has been considered one of the world leaders on this front, has been put under intense pressure from the UN to make an announcement on how much it will pledge.
A global surge in food prices — brought on by rising fuel costs, biofuel production, drought in Australia, market speculation and increased demand from China and India — has sparked violent riots in the Caribbean, Africa and Asia, and rationing in some parts of the United States.
FULL STORY
How has the global food crisis affected you? Are you sending food to relatives overseas? Are you paying for more specific food items? Send us your stories.

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The food crisis hasn't effected me yet. The media panic, the drumming up of hysteria however, has made me a bloody nervous wreck with a fully stocked larder in the basement. But thanks for your concern CBC. Media jerks.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, now that the ranty part has passed, on to a serious contribution.

Why are we throwing money at this problem exactly? So they can buy.... what with it exactly?

Instead of looking at this from a view point of money (oh my god, stock up before stuff gets expensive, and then we'll throw the money we didn't spend on rice at them), shouldn't we be sending, I don't know... call me crazy if you like... food relief aid? I'd hand over a few bags of rice to the effort, that's for damn sure. Frick, I'd send a pallet of rice.

Just a thought.