Do you trust and use travel guides? What's your experience?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
One of the world’s leading travel guidebook companies, Lonely Planet, said Monday it stands by the accuracy of its travel guides following news reports that one of its authors said he plagiarized and invented sections of the books.
Newspapers in Australia, where Lonely Planet is based, have reported that author Thomas Kohnstamm told them he made up parts of the books he wrote, lifted information from other publications and accepted gifts in contravention of Lonely Planet's policies.
But Kohnstamm later told the Associated Press that his remarks to the Australian newspapers were "taken out of context."
"I did not make up sections. I did not plagiarize," said Kohnstamm, who lives in Seattle.
Lonely Planet is reviewing the books that Kohnstamm contributed to, but has so far found nothing inaccurate, said publisher Piers Pickard. He said Lonely Planet's reputation was built on the integrity of its books and any inaccuracies would be quickly fixed.
Full story
Do you trust and use travel guides? What's your experience?

More...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't travel, thus, I don't use travel guides... lol.

I'm hoping to see a bit of Europe this summer though, when I go to Dubrovnik and possibly Amsterdam.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Many folks here in Gopherland and in Badgerland (that's Wisconsin for those of you who don't know it) are absolutely fascinated with NYC which is my hometown. When they tell me they are traveling to Gotham they employ travel planners, most of whom are generally good. But when I set up a Baedeker (this is an old NY term originally from Germany which means travel guide or itinerary), the tourists use them and find that their trip was FAR better than expected! That's because I tell people where to go and what to do, so that they find they do not need a tour guide.

BTW, not only do I know where to send them, I show them how they can save quite a few bucks as well. This certainly adds to their fun!!:smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Many folks here in Gopherland and in Badgerland (that's Wisconsin for those of you who don't know it) are absolutely fascinated with NYC which is my hometown. When they tell me they are traveling to Gotham they employ travel planners, most of whom are generally good. But when I set up a Baedeker (this is an old NY term originally from Germany which means travel guide or itinerary), the tourists use them and find that their trip was FAR better than expected! That's because I tell people where to go and what to do, so that they find they do not need a tour guide.

BTW, not only do I know where to send them, I show them how they can save quite a few bucks as well. This certainly adds to their fun!!:smile:

What a good bit of info, I will make a note of that, as I might go there sometime, and
I will contact you for advice and help, thanks.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I've used Lonely Planet travel guides for Europe and Thailand without any problems. I've already bought one for Bali.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Glad to see folks enjoying the Big City --- in order to enhance your trip you need to learn how to talk NooYawkese:

1) avenue = avnuh

2) words that end in er are pronounced as if they are uh =

winter: wintuh

september: septembuh

3) h is not pronounced at the end of a word =

with = wit

month = munt

also, the h may be omitted in the middle of a word such as in Manattin for Manhattan; also say dis for this

4) words that end in est or ast are pronounced as ist:

forrest = forrist

breakfast = brekfist

5) d is not pronounced in the middle of a word =

Madison Square Garden = massinsqwaregar-in

6) the old Spanish word ''bodega'' is often used for grocery stores

7) New Joysey is no longer used; instead say zherzee and don't say 'New'

8 often use contractions: dint instead of didn't

9) proper way to greet someone = 'owyadoin'?

10) while NYC has many great restaurants, there are few bad ones -- these are called greasy spoons or just use the word toilet

This should make your trip more fun!