Federal department's BlackBerry blackout gets mixed reviews

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A decision to ban employees of Citizenship and Immigration Canada from using a Blackberry PDA between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. has been hailed by a management researcher and some public servants, but not all.
Department employees received a memo Thursday notifying them of the ban, the Ottawa Citizen reported.
It was sent by Richard Fadden, deputy minister of the department, who said he wanted to help reduce work stress.
Linda Duxbury, a professor at Carleton University's Sprott School of Business, said the use of personal digital devices such as the Blackberry increases employees' workload dramatically.
"It increases our ability to work anytime, anywhere, immediate answers expected, be available 24-7, on the road, at home, on weekends, on vacation," she added Friday.
Some public servants surveyed in downtown Ottawa Friday, such as Brian Jonah, welcomed the BlackBerry blackout.
"I think it's a good idea," he said. "I do enough work during the day on the computer and BlackBerry and other communication devices. I think everybody needs to take a break."
Full story

More...