Canada needs to explore national space policy: Garneau

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Canada's first man in space is calling for the federal government to form a national space policy before its "ad hoc" attitude leaves it lagging far behind others carving out their own spots in the sky.
Former Canadian astronaut Marc Garneau says now is the time to look at "where space can take Canada."
(Fred Chartrand/Canadian Press)
"Space is a frontier which is in the interests of all countries to use properly. And Canada has got to be there and have a presence there," Marc Garneau told CBC-TV's Politics on Thursday.
China, India and Brazil are developing space programs to compete with the United States and Russia, and space is becoming more crowded with satellites, he said.
The former astronaut said Canada needs to decide how important space is for the country's interests on issues such as the environment, security, monitoring natural resources and even connecting Canadians through satellite communications.
The national space budget has been frozen at $300 million a year since 1999, he said.
Full story
Should Canada spend more on a national space policy?

More...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I personally think so, but the way funding is going now...

Last month NRC announced they were getting out of the Aquaculture research to focus on human health. Human health is definitely good, but now the East coast is losing 18 positions in a world class facility, with world class researchers. And I kinda hoped they would still be around when I graduate, should I need to find work or maybe work out some kinda grad research. I worked there two summers ago with an industry partner.....sigh

Somehow I doubt most Canadians will have this high on the list of priorities...regardless of the advancements this would produce.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
Why would a country with a population of 32 million need or require a space program or agency particularly when our great neighbours to the south have far and away the best one going.

Oh wait, I know!

We have a disenfranchised Liberal with nothing to do now looking for something to do.

Can you say entitlement

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Why would a country with a population of 32 million need or require a space program or agency particularly when our great neighbours to the south have far and away the best one going.

If that's the reasoning, why should we have any research capacity at all? Maybe we just piggy back on everything the Americans study.

I hope you don't think that is a good idea. Research is a good thing to have in our country.

He's not suggesting we ignore our commitment to NASA, only that we pay some attention to our own program as well. Canada has done very well with our modest budget. Canadarm I & II and related service/imaging equipment, we had a great design for a Mars rover, to be used by the Europeans, but our government canceled the project in 2006, leaving the Europeans without, and no European firm is adequately matched to produce a comparable vehicle.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
You can't fight a war on terrorism in Afghanistan and at the same time "secure" Canada's northernmost mineral deposits for the wealthy elite and finance a space program all at the same time.

Let the Yanks think they're Homo Sapiens small step into Outer Space and we'll just tag along...

Just like we tag along at Walmart or the NHL or so many other iconically "Canadian" pursuits...

If it's good enough for Iraq/Afghanistan surely it's good enough for Mars...?