Iranian president in United States

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is in Manhattan today ahead of a Tuesday speech that he'll give to the United Nations General Assembly.
Ahmadinejad's visit to the UN's headquarters in New York City, his third in three years, has attracted criticism from people who argue that he shouldn't be allowed into the U.S.
Citing construction and security concerns, New York City Police have already denied him a visit to Ground Zero where the Sept. 11 attacks occurred. Ahmadinejad told 60 Minutes that he wanted to pay his respects by laying a wreath at the site, but that he wouldn't press the issue if he's not permitted. Critics said the proposal was insulting to Americans.
Critics have also protested plans for him to speak on Monday at Columbia University, arguing that the school should not give a platform to a Holocaust denier. Last year, the university cancelled a planned visit by Ahmadinejad, citing security and logistical reasons.
Full Story
What do you think of the reception that the Iranian president is receiving in New York?

More...

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Iran: "We would like to lay a wreath at the site of the old world trade center as a sign of peace."

US: "Sorry, no can do. You know, security... safety... and, uh irony?"

Reactions: wallyj

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
As long as the U.S. is hosting the UN they have no choice but to let him in. However, I feel he should be confined to his hotel when he's not on the UN compound, and his stay should be only as long as it absolutely needs to be for him to do what he has to do at the UN.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Anybody see the very sad journalism practiced by 60 minutes while interviewing the Iranian President?

60 minutes sure has gone down hill...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I didn't. Any poignant examples you could offer?

Hah, they're getting sued. Stick it to 'em Dan!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
As long as the U.S. is hosting the UN they have no choice but to let him in. However, I feel he should be confined to his hotel when he's not on the UN compound, and his stay should be only as long as it absolutely needs to be for him to do what he has to do at the UN.

"Welcome to the land of the free, you Sir, cannot leave this area."

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yup, if he leaves arrest him as "illegal enemy combatant."

Off to GITMO!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
it was really the journalists...sneering rude attitude that was terrible to watch. At one point the journalist asks him " Is there anything you admire about President Bush?"

The Iranian president had some said something about maybe Bush was a good family man. The reporter change says "so you can't think of anything you likeabout Bush?" Changed the wording of the question. The whole time he has this sneering tone of voice. The journalist could only come up with that he admired Bush for being a devout christian.

It was soooo sad.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
it was really the journalists...sneering rude attitude that was terrible to watch. At one point the journalist asks him " Is there anything you admire about President Bush?"

The Iranian president had some said something about maybe Bush was a good family man. The reporter change says "so you can't think of anything you likeabout Bush?" Changed the wording of the question. The whole time he has this sneering tone of voice. The journalist could only come up with that he admired Bush for being a devout christian.

It was soooo sad.

yeah well this is a guy who says the holocust is a myth....wants to destroy israel....wants to build nuclear weapons...or at least have the means at his disposal in his country....he's a raving lunatic Twila....he brings with him to that table nothing but medievil thinking....

besides that you smell very nice today my dear.....mmmm Twila Hair....

i know kid i'm entering one of the phases.... check out my daily rants past few days....it gets worse ...trust me...

but you do smell nice

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
He may well be a raving lunatic. But when your reporting/interviewing somebody show journalistic integrity. Let the interviewee hang himself. Dont try to hang him yourself. It's not good journalism to lead your audience to your personal conclusion. Your job is to present the facts for the audience to decide.

Wait..now I sound old fashion... media isn't this way...silly me expecting the impossible. Oh well, It's not like my viewership will be missed by them.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The legal limit for enemies of the U.S. who are in the nation at the invitation of the United Nations have a 25 mile perimeter into which they may venture - but not beyond. I doubt if Columbia is within the limit and his proposed visit to the WTC was far beyond the limit in many ways.

I think the people of the U.S. and Columbia and the students and the protesters are doing as much bending as possible for one who has publicly avowed to destroy the United States. I agree if free speech is to be allowed - all must be allowed - but then Columbia ran off the representative of the Minutemen a while back - so even they have their little biases.

As for the Scott Pelley interview on 60 Minutes - he is hardly the top echelon of intrepid truth seekers - in fact he is a low key interviewer designed not to incite too much in the way of incendiary dialogue.
60 Minutes has become a tired old outlet for aging journalism which has lost its way.

Someone was surmising yesterday that the little tiny guy is merely a 'test the water' puppet for the Iranian Mullahs who are actually in charge of the country and Ahmadinegad is a willing participant in the role of s**t disturber to see how far he can go within the limits of democratic govenrment.

Interesting thought.... on the whole he doesn't seem to be actively intellectual - more of a front man comedy shill for the powers who stay out of sight.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
He may well be a raving lunatic. But when your reporting/interviewing somebody show journalistic integrity. Let the interviewee hang himself. Dont try to hang him yourself. It's not good journalism to lead your audience to your personal conclusion. Your job is to present the facts for the audience to decide.

Wait..now I sound old fashion... media isn't this way...silly me expecting the impossible. Oh well, It's not like my viewership will be missed by them.
8O so you promised all night web camming with me8O
emailed me you had something important to do
talks about 60 minutes on monday:angryfire:

is this it....no more guess the hairy doc body part web cam games?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
An add-on unimportant point I should make.

Reading the posts and reactions by the membership here, I wonder if we are watching the same programs?

You guys vary so differently to what is common discourse here....and I am not referring to the crop of blow-dries - but regular people and their reactions. Starbucks was an interesting place to be this morning.... I wish I had a recorder with me.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If we were trying to pick a country that had reason to dislike, or even hate America, Iran would certainly be one of the first ones we picked. At one time there was a democratically elected government in Iran but the leader had the wrong attitude about their oil .......

http://tinyurl.com/2wwhoj

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tried

There appears to be a level of constraint here both in the media and for the university who are back tracking slightly at the enormous reaction..... still....

To do any kind of harm to the little guy on American soil would be a terrible tragedy in terms of world criticism and 'rights' of visitation as proposed by the United Nations - who have all kinds of vested interest in seeing the U.S. fail at whatever is thrown their way.

My only concern are the activist Jews in New York - who want him hanging from a pole - I have never before seen vitriole such as the Jews have spoken over this extreme 'diplomatic' error or rather as the people I have spoken with.... the 'placed pawn' to see the reaction and little Ahmadinegad is the prey...whether he knows it or not.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
"Welcome to the land of the free, you Sir, cannot leave this area."

Interesting perspective, had the Iranian President been in Canada whilst making his "peaceful" speeches, he most certainly would have been arrested for inciting hatred.

The land of the free is for those who actually believe in freedom.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I saw a sign a guy was holding up on 60 minutes that I thought was interesting. It read "Freedom isn't free"

He may have meant something by it but it's so open ended....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Interesting perspective, had the Iranian President been in Canada whilst making his "peaceful" speeches, he most certainly would have been arrested for inciting hatred.

The land of the free is for those who actually believe in freedom.

That is complete nonsense ITN, but happy trolling...;-):smile: