'With this ring, I thee wed ... for 7 years'

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
She didn't swoon over Rachmaninoff or let her skirt blow up over her head, but a Bavarian politician's controversial take on the seven-year-itch has turned heads in the predominantly Catholic German state.
Gabriele Pauli, who is running for the leadership of Bavaria's conservative Christian Social Union party, suggested this week that marriages should last just seven years.
During the launch of her campaign manifesto in Munich on Wednesday, the twice-divorced Pauli proposed the seven-year limit, with couples being given the option of renewing their commitment to each other or allowing their union to dissolve automatically.
"The basic approach is wrong," Pauli told reporters. "Many marriages last just because people believe they are safe.
"My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years."
Pauli's call for finite nuptials has irked a number of her conservative colleagues, as well as a number of Catholic bishops who called for her resignation.
Full Story

More...

Reactions: Dreadful Nonsense

triedit

inimitable
Doug and I have a 6 week plan. When we first started dating we were both "on the rebound" from other relationships so we decided to be each others "get over it" relationship. We decided we'd date for 6 weeks, come hell or high water, then talk about renewing.

We were married just over 7 years ago and have been together over 8 total! It's a new record for me. I usually get bored after about the third year...

Reactions: Dreadful Nonsense