Bullied student tickled pink by schoolmates' T-shirt campaign

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Two Nova Scotia students are being praised across North America for the unique way they turned the tide against a fellow student bullied for wearing pink.
David Shepherd, left, and Travis Price decided to spread word of their 'sea of pink' campaign on the internet.
(CBC)
The victim — a Grade 9 boy at Central Kings Rural High School in the small community of Cambridge — wore a pink polo shirt on his first day of school.
Bullies harassed the boy, called him a homosexual for wearing pink and threatened to beat him up, students said.
Two Grade 12 students — David Shepherd and Travis Price — heard the news and decided to take action.
They went to a nearby discount store and bought 50 pink shirts, including tank tops, to wear to school the next day.
Then the two went online to e-mail classmates to get them on board with their anti-bullying cause that they dubbed a "sea of pink." A tsunami of support poured in the next day. Not only were dozens of students outfitted with the discount tees, but hundreds of students showed up wearing their own pink clothes, some head-to-toe.
When the bullied student, who has never been identified, walked into school to see his fellow students decked out in pink, some of his classmates said it was a powerful moment.
"It's been totally overwhelming for us. I mean we're just two local boys and I mean we're getting calls from like Alaska and e-mails. It's just phenomenal the support that we've gotten from across the globe," said Price.
Full Story
What creative ways of dealing with bullies have you seen put into practice?

More...

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
How amazing! These two young men are absolute heros in my eyes. I was lucky enough not to be bullied after I punched out the bully in grade two, but I did get into scrapes and fights defending others who were bullied. I hate it and have always hated it.

I had a friend whose daughter almost commit suicide because of bullying. It was devastating to see this child suffer every day she had to go to school. Kids can be cruel! Hearing about Shepherd and Price is the flip side of that. It makes my day to see that kids can also be brave, inventive, kind and heroic.

Here's another link to a story about it ...

Chronicle Herald

Hats off to these two!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
CAUTION: Post is NOT for the politically correct crowd....

Solidarity.... I can't think of a more subtle way to kick a bully's arse...

Years ago, my brother, my sister and I all went to the public school in a small rural town. We were the only public school board kids in that part of the township, so the separate school bus took us on.

We were three Protestants in an area that was predominantly Irish Catholic. It didn't matter that this was Canada. Hate is an international language - justified or not. The Sisters of St Joseph tried - but the cat-calls and threats continued. Some inter school soccer games became more like Aussie rules football, so it was obvious that wasn't going to work either.

I walked the ten miles home (at ten years old) many times to avoid the hassle. I was a big lad ... but it was a different story for my seven year old sister. She just outright refused to go to school unless there was a way to get there that didn't involove the Catholic bus.

Threats to toss kids from the bus were countered by threats from parents. When you pay the Church tithe, you have clout in the community. All you "Protestant pricks" get off the bus. It was something we heard every day. I'll never forget the looks on a lot of faces the day Les stopped his bus just outside town - right beside his bright red '67 Dodge. All of us "Protestant pricks" got off the bus - and fourty-seven good Catholic kids had to wait for the Separate School Board to find them rides home.

Yes ... you can beat a bully, whether it's just one loud-mouthed lout - or a community full of them.... Pink shirts or aching feet ....

Wolf

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That bully is probably looking for a hole to hide in now, those students came up with a very novel way to fight back against people like that.

BTW.... I LOVES THE PINK.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Solidarity.... I can't think of a more subtle way to kick a bully's arse...

Years ago, my brother, my sister and I all went to the public school in a small rural town. We were the only public school board kids in that part of the township, so the separate school bus took us on.

We were three Protestants in an area that was predominantly Irish Catholic. It didn't matter that this was Canada. Hate is an international language - justified or not. The Sisters of St Joseph tried - but the cat-calls and threats continued. Some inter school soccer games became more like Aussie rules football, so it was obvious that wasn't going to work either.

I walked the ten miles home (at ten years old) many times to avoid the hassle. I was a big lad ... but it was a different story for my seven year old sister. She just outright refused to go to school unless there was a way to get there that didn't involove the Catholic bus.

Threats to toss kids from the bus were countered by threats from parents. When you pay the Church tithe, you have clout in the community. All you "Protestant pricks" get off the bus. It was something we heard every day. I'll never forget the looks on a lot of faces the day Les stopped his bus just outside town - right beside his bright red '67 Dodge. All of us "Protestant pricks" got off the bus - and fourty-seven good Catholic kids had to wait for the Separate School Board to find them rides home.

Yes ... you can beat a bully, whether it's just one loud-mouthed lout - or a community full of them.... Pink shirts or aching feet ....

Wolf

What ended up happening to the bus driver? I hope he didn't get fired for his actions.:-(