Russia plants flag staking claim to Arctic region

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
A mini-submarine dropped a titanium capsule containing a Russian flag on the ocean floor at the North Pole Thursday, in a symbolic claim of the polar region's oil and minerals.
In this image made from an RTR TV broadcast, a Russian miniature sub is lowered Thursday from a research vessel, moments before diving under the polar ice to drop a capsule holding a Russian flag, staking a symbolic claim to the region's resources.
(RTR Channel/Associated Press)
If recognized, the claim would give Russia control of almost half of the Arctic seabed, an area as large as the Prairie provinces that could be abundant in natural resources such as oil and gas.
The region is currently divided among Canada, the United States, Norway, Russia and Denmark. Russia is claiming a larger area, saying that the Arctic seabed and Siberia are linked by the same continental shelf. The UN rejected the claim, citing lack of evidence, but the country is set to resubmit the application in 2009.
Canada, meanwhile, plans to spend $7.5 billion to build and operate up to eight Arctic patrol ships in a bid to help protect its sovereignty.
Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay said planting a flag will not change the claim to the region.
Full Story
Is Canada doing enough to press its claim to sovereignty in the Arctic?

More...

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
If you don't use it you lose it.....

plain and simple.
we gotta get ourselves up there and rape the bejeevers out of it for everything from oil to plankton if there is any...damn the torpedoes and all that rot....

We should build prisons up there.....ship em off to work in those areas ..make proud canadians out of the lot of them.....hell lets make harder weed laws and really develope the place....make Bontany Bay look like a day trip.....
i'm serious....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Like the British did in Australia when they were the first Westerner to land there?
Indeed....but
we're not the first westerner..it's re establishing whats ours...
It's our God given right...it says so in Our Son:canada:g!

we could get all these criminals doing something for us...Hell lets open the immigration gates from _ _ _ _ _//lets keep this on the Q T , for Now!

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Can't. We need to start the lottery on who gets to plug Santa right f***ing now..

Last edited:

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
of course not. its just Vlad trying to get on George's nerves. let him have his fun.

how does "Operation Santa Drop" sound?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Good plan Vlad.... Get on a narcissist's nerves when all that (legally) stands between you are three boyscouts in a rowboat....

...the collapse of open market, the conditions and technology to make extraction and transportation viable and the reshaping of every populated coastline as we know them.

honest. I don't care which set of rich bastards own it. If they ever use it, I'll still have to come up with the cash pay for it. With at the very least the entire American oil lobby getting all in a lather about this we'll get our share of the pie. and the Northwest Passage to boot. I think we should rent it out to the Chinese. not until we get bids from the Danish, though.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
According to the USA, we don't own the Northwest passage, be hard for us to rent it when the only world superpower says we don't own it. Otherwise that (honestly) would be a good plan to charge for passage.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
According to the USA, we don't own the Northwest passage, be hard for us to rent it when the only world superpower says we don't own it. Otherwise that (honestly) would be a good plan to charge for passage.

The only way the US can lay claim to any part of the Arctic around the Pole is by ratifying a treaty that extends their reach from the Alaska Northern coast. No way they can do that AND blow a hole through our Archipelago at the same time. Their public wouldn't stand for it.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Since when can we claim an ocean and more importantly when is our government going to put a flag at the bottom of the pacific?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
This thread has not made me feel better...

In that case I can only recommend you get drunk and stay that way until the whole thing blows over. Or doesn't. You never know with these powerful types.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
The only way the US can lay claim to any part of the Arctic around the Pole is by ratifying a treaty that extends their reach from the Alaska Northern coast. No way they can do that AND blow a hole through our Archipelago at the same time. Their public wouldn't stand for it.

The USA can lay claim to Toronto if they really want to, I highly doubt their public would care. And I really highly doubt they care if our public cares. Whether or not they have any real right to it is another matter, and im my mind they have no claim to it.

That being said, when they drive boats through it, what are you going to do?

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I dunno but I figure not buying into hateful propaganda would probably be a good start.