Yellow Pages - paper or web?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Did you receive a giant tome of yellow paper on your doorstep recently? Did you take it into the house and place it next to your phone or immediately dump it into the blue bin?
For more and more people, a printed directory of all the phone numbers of businesses and residents of a city is a bit of a relic, like calling the operator and asking for "KEnwood 4-3857."
It's not surprising that technologically savvy folks, from bloggers to Microsoft co-chair Bill Gates, have predicted that the phone book is going the way of the magneto crank telephone and the party line.
However Annie Marsolais with the Yellow Pages Group said use of the Yellow Pages print directory has remained steady over the last 10 years, with "seven out of 10 Canadians using the directory on a monthly basis."
Full Story
Do you still use the Yellow pages?

More...

Impetus

Electoral Member
May 31, 2007
Annie is desperately trying to keep her ad revenues up...

Seven out of ten Canadians are using the Yellow Pages monthly...as a door stop or pressing flowers.

Muz

Did you receive a giant tome of yellow paper on your doorstep recently? Did you take it into the house and place it next to your phone or immediately dump it into the blue bin?
For more and more people, a printed directory of all the phone numbers of businesses and residents of a city is a bit of a relic, like calling the operator and asking for "KEnwood 4-3857."
It's not surprising that technologically savvy folks, from bloggers to Microsoft co-chair Bill Gates, have predicted that the phone book is going the way of the magneto crank telephone and the party line.
However Annie Marsolais with the Yellow Pages Group said use of the Yellow Pages print directory has remained steady over the last 10 years, with "seven out of 10 Canadians using the directory on a monthly basis."
Full Story
Do you still use the Yellow pages?

More...

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Annie is desperately trying to keep her ad revenues up...

Seven out of ten Canadians are using the Yellow Pages monthly...as a door stop or pressing flowers.

Muz

Yeah as the baby boomers kick the bucket there will be few uses for a huge wad of paper that continuously goes out of date.

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
However,

Canwest has just, or is about to, during August, release their very own version of yellow pages.

This has an interesting quirk inasmuch as an advertiser pays for the artwork on their ad and that's it.

A consumer calling the number listed on your ad doesn't know that the call (number only) is logged and if a sale is completed the advertiser pays a fee determined by the size of their ad.

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
Every now and then the thing comes in Handy but there is no way it is worth the paper - I'd much rather prefer an automated 411 service - call say what you are looking for - then it redirects and gives you the option to call the number...

there is no need for that much paper to be wasted. Not to mention the resources it takes to deliver it - true it is income for some - but I think the resources could be better spent, and internet and automated telephone is THE best way. I'd much rather see a big local bylaws and provincial and federal laws book chucked on my front lawn - citing in layman terms what is illegal in the area I live. - and how to take part in local government - such as council meetings, how to run in elections, etc..