Ontario spending $26M to fight gun crimes

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Ontario is spending $26 million to put 200 more police officers on the streets to fight the flow of smuggled guns and prevent further tragedies, Premier Dalton McGuinty said Friday.
One-quarter of the new officers will specifically be assigned to target illegal guns, while the province will also hire six new prosecutors to better track, investigate and stem the flow of handguns.
Provincial police commissioner Julian Fantino said the extra officers will help stop "a lethal cancer in our society."
McGuinty reiterated his call for a federal ban on handguns, saying there is only so much the province can do. Ottawa has said handguns are already effectively banned with only a few exceptions.
The $26 million will begin to flow as soon as provincial police can hire and train the new officers.
Full story
Is this going to make an impact in reducing gun crimes?

More...

justfred

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2004
Drumheller
This sounds like a typical Liberal banter about guns. I would suspect that Premier Dalton McGuinty, has been sleeping with those dumb Liberals in Ottawa again. Getting truly Liberalized by injection. I firmly believe that the reason that Dumb Liberals think that gun control will work is to insure jobs for has been politicians. When the public see how incompetent they are, they then they do not get re-elected and know that if gun controls are there, the government will hire them to defend criminals forever. Life employment.
Alternately they maybe are saying that they can get re-elected if they play women like a fish and tell them that gun controls work. After all, women make up over 50% of the votes, get them on your side. Liberals cannot get elected on truths anymore! ! ! maybe what we need to do is ban all people from being a member of the Liberal party, talking with Liberal ideas, putting them in jail if they carry a Liberal Flag. I guess in answer to your question, “is this going to reduce crime,” NO, but it will give the appearance they are doing something to stop the gun fire and not stop the problem that is there.

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Gun crime, as has been reported a thousand times in the Toronto and GTA press, is mainly a problem linked with a single unit of Toronto's multicultural society. The premier doesn't seem to get that. Neither does the Toronto mayor.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yeah. I wonder why they don't just round up all the Jamaicans and take away their guns. I don't think any of them would have a legal reason for having a gun.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
You got me. The Globe has stressed this connection for years and little ever gets done about it. That's one of the tragic consequences of political correctness.

WilliamAshley

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2006
WATERLOO
WOW 130,000 per cop?

ok starting salary like usually about 30000-40000 give or take 10g's. That still has about 100k unaccounted for? after salary considerations - I can only geuss about 10k is for percs is it one car for each two cops or are they sharing it by quad. ore did they get a couple tanks?

Interested in the cost breakdown on this one. Start the giant Border Services Xray truck touring through ghettos near you.

26 million for 200 cops WOW I didn't think 1 cop cost 130k. Maybe they have bioimplants for super gun sniffing capacity -- I smell ----- g lock --- hold on that's my gun -- false alarm.

I'm really looking forward to find out how many guns they catch.

MY BAD THEY ARE ALSO HIRING SIX PROSECUTORS.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
WOW 130,000 per cop?

ok starting salary like usually about 30000-40000 give or take 10g's. That still has about 100k unaccounted for? after salary considerations - I can only geuss about 10k is for percs is it one car for each two cops or are they sharing it by quad. ore did they get a couple tanks?

Interested in the cost breakdown on this one. Start the giant Border Services Xray truck touring through ghettos near you.

26 million for 200 cops WOW I didn't think 1 cop cost 130k. Maybe they have bioimplants for super gun sniffing capacity -- I smell ----- g lock --- hold on that's my gun -- false alarm.

prolly 5 years figured in to keep em on the streets....dunno....politicians and math..criminal in itself always

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
WOW 130,000 per cop?

Well, for starters a first class constable in Halifax makes slightly over 70,000 dollars a year.

I would think TO would pay more.........

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Tonight

An old friend of mine had a bad experience. He’s eighty. He’s lonely depressed and wealthier than what’s probably good for him. He wanted to show me how much he cared about what I thought of him. He lives in a fantasy of days gone by and hungers for those “good old days”….

I stopped drinking alcohol over twenty years ago. I stopped because I understood that I drank whiskey and scotch and rum because I wanted the pain to stop. I drank because I was self-medicating and longed for a silence.

I’ve had the sinew and meat of my soul torn from me in a war that brought only pain and sorrow to everyone around me. I killed people because it was my duty. I believed in justice and compassion and the devastation of my practice was rivulets of blood soaking into dank clay.

Because it was my job.

I didn’t have to “think”, my commanders told me how to think and what to think. Half naked burning women and children ran through the jungle while blood spilled from their ears as thebombs and gunfire jarred us to the foundations of our being. Wide-eyed children splashed with the gelled gasoline of invisible retribution riding on wisps of clouds over a canopy of dark leaves. A brilliant flash and molten messengers of doom sprayed across the cargo cabin igniting everything in their path. And I was saved by a Khmer farmer whose family had been exterminated in the name of peace.

I’m sorry if you think I’m weak and gutless. I cried like a child….many times.

My friend Bill cried for me.

But I never gave up; it’s not in me. I persevered through hell and back and when my body my circulatory system collapsed and blood streamed down my spinal column and I lost my mobility and my eye sight, I didn’t give up….

I don’t give up. I believe that only the actions of one human being called upon to act in the name of peace and justice must stand against the darkness.

No rationalization of the stench of death on my hands, no solace for the throbbing pain of a soul silenced without reason.

I’ve clenched fire in my fists and I’ve bitten the throat of pain in a dying man, slain for the promise of justice and meaning. I’ve watched as the light of eternity ebbed from the soul of a child. I can’t embrace your lies and your fantasy any more….

You will believe whatever you want to believe…whatever sober realization you embrace as your vision.

Your “system” and your lies are counterfeit substitutes for your humanity.

And I won’t surrender my soul to your vacuous temerity. You have the capacity to ignore suffering and champion greed and prosperity at any price.

You have ceased to be human, and in your choice to deny your nature you become my enemy.

I will turn the weapons of war upon you. It is your justice and your morality not mine.

You’ve surrendered your mind to a merchants dream and disavowed your partnership with life.

I took Bill away from the bar; I drove his monument to prosperity away from the leering superciliousness of the disingenuous and the fraud of respect that cash can buy. I feared for Bill and I feared for anyone meeting a drunken madman hurtling down the highway on an alcohol-induced journey to self-destruction.

I drove his car to my apartment building and tried to placate him with promises of care and companionship. I couldn’t allow him to take the keys and wield his juggernaut down a highway he couldn’t even see.

I drove ten miles. I haven’t driven a car for decades, but it’s something you don’t forget and it’s something you bring every sense every awareness too so that you don’t endanger anyone, so that you preserve the potential of everyone who shares this space….
I could have tricked Bill, told him I lost his keys or that we were lost in a jungle of concrete and mortar far from the cacophony of repressed ambition and unrealized desire….

But it’s not my “right” to take another man’s freedom away from him.

I called the police, and told them that a drunken man was semi-comatose in the back seat of a Lincoln Continental in my parking lot, and I feared that if I let him go, he and some innocent would pay the price.

I was berated and threatened by the police for having driven without a license. I was accused of drunken disorderly conduct and had the handcuffs slammed around my wrists. I was treated as a criminal. I had safely driven to my residence and had the help of three bouncers to get Bill into the car and asked many times and tested in an off-hand kind of way if I was sober enough to drive when I left the bar with Bill in the back seat.

No one came to harm. And yet the message was that I had a greater responsibility to the form and letter of the “law” than I had to my friend or those who’d be potential victims to his impairment.

It may be longing for a different meter of justice, it may be a wish for the triumph of common sense over the metric of formula thinking, but in years gone by, a policeman would have taken Bill’s keys and made sure his vehicle was secure….

There was no reason, there was no exercise of better judgment, merely the capitalization of a circumstance that garnered a cop an arrest and an exercise of rote rationalization with an unconscious man and an old cripple who tried to address the situation….

Our “justice” is a lie, our “social fabric” a pretence to victimize those who put faith and “stock” in reasoned action.

Our “system” demands victims and our “justice” is perverse.

If I have the opportunity to wreck vengeance on these puppets of corruption I will. And I will no longer lament the child cut down by mindless greed and disinterested objectivity. Our laws no longer serve the interests of the whole; they serve the petty scuffling affectation of the incompetent.

Don’t bother penning a reply; I’ve ceased to care.

We are living in the throes of a lie and sudden violent communion with the hereafter is the grail of the enthusiastically complacent.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's a dodge. More police changes nothing as police are reactive. The respond to trouble not prevent it. You can't stop someone from having guns or getting guns if there are guns around. And there is no way you are going to get rid of guns at this point, so it falls to the public not to be so gullible that they will fall for the old, throw money at the problem, skim a little for ourselves and call it a day. Remember how they were going to really get after this issue the last summer of the gun? More cops, a few sensational headlines and more people killed in the line of fire. I'm sure though that a few decks were built and perhaps a nice cottage and new boat. But still we need more police.

I wonder when some clever bastard will come along and dub this "War On the Gun?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Unf
I wonder when some clever bastard will come along and dub this "War On the Gun?[/quote]

If they ever declare a "War on Assholes" all the politicians will be leaving the country stat.

Ya think???;-)

War on crime
War on drugs
War on guns
War on war
war