What do you think of the final Harry Potter?

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The final instalment of the seven-part Harry Potter book series went on sale around the world local time at 12:01 a.m. July 21. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has been flying off shelves at a rate of about three per second, according to Canadian bookseller Chapters/Indigo.
Author J.K. Rowling held a special middle-of-the-night reading at London's Natural History Museum, captivating 500 fans who won a competition to attend.
With a few main characters slated to die in the final book, the internet has been humming with plot spoilers. MORE
What do you think about the buzz on the final Harry Potter book? Are you reading it and what do you think of the book?

More...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
My sister got the new Harry Potter book today. She's read all of the other books. The normal sale price in Britain is £17.99 but the ASDA supermarket chain was selling the new book for just £5, and that's where my sister got hers from. I've not read any of the books but I might start doing. She also can't wait to find out who dies in this final book.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How do people read so fast? Someone will buy that book at 12:01 and have read it by 6:30. It takes me weeks or months to read a book.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I read the average bestseller in two to three hours and with even paperbacks costing $10 - $12 each, I get most of my reading from the library. With the latest Harry Potter novel I will likely be forced to buy because there are about 800 people in line ahead of me. I've probably left buying a bit late as well.....Maybe I can borrow my grandson's copy....he pre-ordered.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
#juan, how the heck do you read a book in 2 to 3 hours?

It's not a big deal. When I was at university years ago, there was a guy giving a "speed-reading course....He wasn't part of any degree program, just some guy going around to colleges and giving this one night course for $30 bucks a pop. He gave us a bunch of little tricks to speed up our reading. One of them was laying a pencil vertically on the page with the point below the third word from the end of the line you are reading. The point is to go to the next line when you reach the pencil point. Your brain automatically gets the last three words. Once you get used to that, move the pencil point to the fifth word from the end.......and then the sixth.....and so on....After a while you don't need the pencil. You will find this does speed up your reading.......

Last edited:
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It's not a big deal. When I was at university years ago, there was a guy giving a "speed-reading course....He wasn't part of any degree program, just some guy going around to colleges and giving this one night course for $30 bucks a pop. He gave us a bunch of little tricks to speed up our reading. One of them was laying a pencil vertically on the page with the point below the third word from the end of the line you are reading. The point is to go to the next line when you reach the pencil point. Your brain automatically gets the last three words. Once you get used to that, move the pencil point to the fifth word from the end.......and then the sixth.....and so on....After a while you don't need the pencil. You will find this does speed up your reading.......

Soooooo eventually you need only to read the first word in each line?
lol....

Dunno..... i like to savour a good book....take me time....sometimes reread a paragraph over if it was good.....Books are like friends to me.....i have to admit a lot of my reading of books has gone out the window since i got this damn puter and discovered Durka Durka.....

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"i have to admit a lot of my reading of books has gone out the window since i got this damn puter and discovered Durka Durka....."
........hhmmm.

Another double `D`,as in Daddy-Do, in your life, Dr. Dred?

Unf will be furious!!

:smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Soooooo eventually you need only to read the first word in each line?
lol....
No but most people can skip-read the last half sentence.....which would effectively double your reading speed.