'Consensus' needed to extend Afghan mission: PM

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The Conservative government will not extend Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan beyond February 2009 without a consensus in Parliament, the prime minister said Friday.

More...

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Is it just me or is the actual article kind of odd- at the end it almost seems as if Harper is calling the entire senate a bunch of traitors/communists- as the leader of a minority party, you'd think he'd be trying harder to build these majickal "consenses" that he's talkin about. The way it comes off, it really seems like "forging a consensus" means "makin them accept MY position"

I would think that dialogue would go a long way towards reaching one of these legendary "consenses", too bad any opposition is "terrorists", with whom conservatives will NEVER negotiate

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
Ah, well when imperial leadership fails to support approval ratings, then there’s always democracy—the mythical marvelously plastic consensus in all its glory of exquisitely vague interpretations. Consensus can mean anything you want it to. Consensus gets you off the hook of leadership responsibility and delivers the mild man of the people just humbly carrying out the popular will. Crap, god save me from leaders and all their cowardly clutching and co-opting of the popular will. Consensus is just a bookmarker in VOL I of Democracy. It holdes the place so the next chapter plays at a more convenient time.

Harper seemed to buy into US policy twiddle dee twaddle dum even after the policy had failing support in the US. Now he perhaps finds that he’s holding in pig in a poke policy and no way he’s ever going to have a silk purse from it; so bring on democracy; roll out consensus; send in the clowns.

Besides, under the terms of various UN mandates regarding Afghanistan, it not exactly our choice to extend a mission; nor is it the US’s or NATO’s choice. The UN reviews its own mandates. God I despise the typical pretenses of leaders.