Hamas closes in on full control of Gaza

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Gunmen from the Islamist Hamas movement continued consolidating their grip on Gaza Thursday, overrunning rival Fatah's most important security installations in fierce combat.

More...

Palestine87

Time Out
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Hamas wins, Gaza which is a poverty stricken small strip of territory about the size of the GTA will go from 40% under the poverty line at this point in time to nearly 60% to 100% under the poverty line after several years in no time flat. Unemployment will rise considerably as Fatah members still left in Gaza would not get any work their families and themselves harrassed and possibly killed. Women will be covered fully in Islamic veil, which goes against Palestinian ideology as about 75% of Palestinians in general are moderates who like wearing Western clothing. All Western aid to Palestinian government sources and international charities in Gaza will end, and thusly food aid to 33% of Palestinians in Gaza that need food aid at this point in time to survive. And finally the rewriting of history books and education that will bred a new round of hatred against Israel and anything Western and many more terrorists and sucicide bombers.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If Hamas wins, Gaza which is a poverty stricken small strip of territory about the size of the GTA will go from 40% under the poverty line at this point in time to nearly 60% to 100% under the poverty line after several years in no time flat. Unemployment will rise considerably as Fatah members still left in Gaza would not get any work their families and themselves harrassed and possibly killed. Women will be covered fully in Islamic veil, which goes against Palestinian ideology as about 75% of Palestinians in general are moderates who like wearing Western clothing. All Western aid to Palestinian government sources and international charities in Gaza will end, and thusly food aid to 33% of Palestinians in Gaza that need food aid at this point in time to survive. And finally the rewriting of history books and education that will bred a new round of hatred against Israel and anything Western and many more terrorists and sucicide bombers.

Although I agree with all the above, I think it will be temporary. The nuts in Hamas will not be able to resist attacking Israel, and the Israelis will be forced to re-occupy the area. So much for unilateral withdrawal.

Palestine87

Time Out
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I am so angry that sometimes I don't even see straight with this issue as I have always supported the Palestinians and Fatah and now Hamas, that only got into the fray in 1994 with its preaching of Islam, instead of nationalistic tendencies has taken the Gaza strip from Fatah and more importantly from the rule of law in the Palestinian territories that sometimes with my military background I feel I should just head over there and join the fight with Fatah against these 'scum'. I will have to wait and see.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Tonight, with the capture of the Presidential Palace in Gaza (Abass is in the West Bank) Hamas gunmen have seized full control of Gaza.

Israel will have no choice but to re-occupy the area.

Are Hamas members so stupid that they can't see how they are used as pawns by Syria and Iran? Now they will be even more of a thorn in Israel's side............at the cost of many, many Palestinian lives, most of them innocents.

The Palestinian peoples' worst enemies are not their enemies, but their "friends". Both the loonies of Iran and the fascists of Syria (REAL fascists, BW, you should move there and learn the difference) are responsible for this chaos, and the inevitable bloodbath to come.

Where are those posters that so love Hezbollah and Hamas?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I'm sure most Palestinains noticed that Israeli pilots use American bombs and bullets to kill them.

Hamas unilaterally maintained a ceasefire with Israel for over a year, while Israel abducted and assassinated their leaders.

The reason why Hamas won the election is because most money Hamas gets they spend on Palestinians rather than on themselves like Israel's pet Fatah.

...Hamas has maintained a one-sided cease-fire for the past sixteen months, but continued Israeli attacks made Palestinian retaliation only a question of time...
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20060717/bishara

10 June 2006
...Hamas's armed wing posted a message on its website and distributed leaflets declaring the end of a ceasefire that had held since February 2005...

Details of Fatah Corruption

February 10, 2006
The Funding for Peace Coalition has already noted that Palestinian attorney general, Ahmed Al-Meghani, announced how senior officials of the Palestinian Authority (PA) have stolen at least $700 million of public funds.
The PA's official web site, Palestine Media Center, has now provided details as to the extent of the problem.
Once again, it is evident that corruption is deeply entrenched within the establishment of the PA. Untraceable expenditures, illegal land sales, investments in factories which were never built, and far more. Most of the instances are linked to Fatah officials, who have enjoyed the support of Chairman Arafat and now President Abbas...

http://www.eufunding.org/accountability/FatahCorruption.html

Jimmy Carter: No Allegations of Corruption Among Hamas Elected Officials

Jim Kouri, CPP
January 26, 2006

When asked by the media for his thoughts on the Hamas triumph in the Palestinian parliamentary elections, former President Jimmy Carter replied that while they have a terrorist past, at least there have been no allegations of corruption among their elected officials.[1] One of the complaints by many in the Middle East was the corruption within the Palestinian Authority and Yasser Arafat's Fatah Party.

Arafat himself squirreled away millions of dollars from aid packages that were intended to help the Palestinian people...

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=5186

That's not to say they are nice guys. But they are a byproduct of the injustice and oppression suffered by nationless Palestinian refugees. Given the treatment they've gotten from Israel and the US over the years, I bet they aren't in the negotiating mood.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Earth as one, you are quite correct in your description of the characteristics of Fatah and Hamas. Fatah was (and is) shockingly corrupt. Hamas is not.

Unfortunately, Hamas has some other problems you fail to mention.......like, for instance they are homicidal maniacs controled by the looney state of Iran, determined to utterly destroy Israel and help create a pan-Arab Islamo-=fascist state, or be martyred in the cause(along with everyone else in the territories)

I was so impressed with the news clips of unarmed Palestinian folks pushing armed gunmen off the streets in rage......The tragedy is that the Palestinian people have only a choice between Hamas and Fatah.

BUT, that's like having a choice between a purse-snatcher and Adolph Hitler...........the purse snatcher wins by default.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Without the dirty chicken bastard Zionists involved, I'm sure the press is having a hard time trying to find an angle for this conflict.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Did Logic actually come up with that? It's been so long I couldn't remember if it was Logic or the other one...Aeon, I think was the name...

I think Logic and Aeon are one. :x

coalition-of swiss chalet-retarded-chicken foreign policy

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I suggest a complete blockade of the Gaza Strip and let them exist on the rubble they made.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I suggest a complete blockade of the Gaza Strip and let them exist on the rubble they made.

sooooo yer a (?)....there are innocent people not to mention children who are just pawns dying and if you have your wish starve , in this area the United States was supposed to promised to bring peace to back in the 60's......

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Effectively that describes Gaza since Hamas won a majority in a free and fair vote over a year ago.

B'Tselem (Israeli Human Rights Group)
16 Nov. 06: Gaza Humanitarian Crisis - A Joint Statement by Israel 's leading human rights organizations

Nine Israeli human rights organizations issued an unprecedented joint call to the international community to ensure human rights in the Gaza Strip. The statement comes in light of the dire humanitarian situation there:
  • Some 80% of the population is extremely poor, living on less than $2 a day. A majority of the population is dependant on food aid from international donors.
    In the past four months, the Israeli military has killed over 300 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. Over half of those killed were unarmed civilians who did not participate in the fighting. Among the dead, 61 were children.
  • About 70% of Gaza 's potential workforce is out of work or without pay.
  • On 28 June, Israel bombed Gaza ' s only independent power station, which produced 43% of the electricity needed by the residents in Gaza . Since then, most of the population has electricity between 6 and 8 hours each day, with disastrous consequences on water supply, sewage treatment, food storage, hospital functioning and public health.
  • The Gaza Strip is almost entirely sealed off from the outside world, with virtually no way for Palestinians to get in or out. Exports have been reduced to a trickle; imports are limited to essential humanitarian supplies.
Israel cannot shirk its responsibility for this growing crisis. Even after its Disengagement in 2005, Israel continues to hold decisive control over central elements of Palestinian life in the Gaza Strip:
  1. Israel continues to maintain complete control over the air space and territorial waters.
    Israel continues to control the joint Gaza Strip-West Bank population registry , preventing relocation between the West Bank and Gaza , and family unification.
    Israel controls all movement in and out of Gaza , with exclusive control over all crossing points between Gaza and Israel , and the ability to shut down the Rafah crossing to Egypt .
    Israeli ground troops conduct frequent military operations inside Gaza.
    Israel continues to exercise almost complete control over imports and exports from the Gaza Strip.
  2. Israel controls most elements of the taxation system of the Gaza Strip, and since February has withheld tax monies legally owed to the PA, and amounting to half of the to tal PA budget.
The broad scope of Israeli control in the Gaza Strip creates a strong case for the claim that Israel 's occupation of the Gaza Strip continues, along with an obligation to ensure the welfare of the civilian population. Regardless of the legal definition of the Gaza Strip, Israel bears legal obligations regarding those spheres that it continues to control. Israel has the right to defend itself. However, all military measures taken by Israel must respect the provisions of international humanitarian law...

http://www.btselem.org/English/Gaza_Strip/20061116_Brief_on_Gaza.asp

What this means in human terms:
The Independant
Gaza's poor struggling to survive in the face of an economic blockade
By Donald Macintyre in Gaza City
Published: 15 September 2006

Though she wasn't expecting visitors, Itidal al-Nazli, 35, was happy to display the sparse contents of her refrigerator. Despite the daily and lengthy interruptions to electricity supply since the Israelis bombed Gaza's only power station in early July, it's where she still stores the more perishable food for her family of 10 children. Yesterday morning, after the family had breakfasted on two large potatoes and an aubergine donated by a kindly neighbour, it contained six rather shrivelled peppers, a bag of coffee, three olives in a bowl, a bag of charcoal, and three bags containing crusts of bread.
Even amid the deepening poverty of Gaza since Israel and the international community imposed its economic blockade on the Palestinian Authority (PA) after Hamas won the elections last January, Mrs al-Nazli's plight is acute. Belonging to no political faction, and unable to leave the children - including five-year-old quadruplets - ranging from Nevin, 10, to Aya, two, she says she receives no handouts from local charities. From a long time Gazan familiy, she is ineligible even for the UN food coupons handed out to refugees; indeed, she explains, once or twice a year, some refugee friends pass on one sack of flour, two bottles of oil, and two kilos apiece of beans, lentils, rice and sugar.
It was after January, however, that survival became a real struggle. We are in the eastern suburb of Shajaia which has borne more than its share of the 218 Palestinian deaths in Gaza - including, according to the Palestinian Centre of Human Rights, 146 civilians, in Israeli incursions since Cpl Gilad Shalit was abducted by militants in June.

But Mrs al-Nazli's main preoccupations are financial - a sharp reminder of how high the stakes are for Palestinians here in the imminent international debate on whether to ease the economic siege on the Palestinian Authority in response to the new Hamas-Fatah government of "national unity" expected to be formed in the coming days.

For the last six months, she has paid neither the £37-per-month rent nor, like hundreds of thousands of Gazans, £18 per month in water and electricity charges. Her husband Sami, 38, is unemployed but his wife says "he used to work four or five days every month, doing odd jobs". "But now there is nothing. We don't have anything. The children eat the same food as I do - lentils and beans. Meat? We never see it." Sometimes, she says, neighbours give them handouts of a few vegetables and fruit. "I have no milk for the children," she says, rubbing her thumb and fingers together to show the problem is money and not shortages...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article1603672.ece

These people suffer ethnic cleansing, military occupation, civil war and an economic blockade. Guess what? They are angry, suicidal, fanatical and well armed. Israel believes they can be pacified by a regime of constant bombardment, abduction, torture and summary execution/assassination.

But after 60 years of this, these people just seem to become more angry, suicidal, fanatical and better armed. To boot, they have a prolific birth rate which more than offsets their higher death rate.

Maybe its time to try a new approach which involves freedom and justice. That's something these people have never known in 60 years. Who knows its a crazy idea but it just might work.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Earth as one, you are quite correct in your description of the characteristics of Fatah and Hamas. Fatah was (and is) shockingly corrupt. Hamas is not.

Unfortunately, Hamas has some other problems you fail to mention.......like, for instance they are homicidal maniacs controled by the looney state of Iran, determined to utterly destroy Israel and help create a pan-Arab Islamo-=fascist state, or be martyred in the cause(along with everyone else in the territories)

I was so impressed with the news clips of unarmed Palestinian folks pushing armed gunmen off the streets in rage......The tragedy is that the Palestinian people have only a choice between Hamas and Fatah.

BUT, that's like having a choice between a purse-snatcher and Adolph Hitler...........the purse snatcher wins by default.

Desperate people do desperate things.

Hitler was democratically elected by a majority while Germany suffered post WW I economic collapse.

Hamas is a consequence of 60 years of intolerable cruelty. At least Gazans are led by people dedicated to fighting injustice and opppression, rather than lining their own pockets. Also from what I've seen Hamas does what they say and says what they do. Israelis may not like what Hamas says and does, but Hamas is honest, has legitimacy... and a democratic mandate.

If you want to understand Hamas, you must consider the Palestinian experience. Gaza is smaller than Manhattan island, holds 1.4 million people and resembles a prison which has recently been taken over by the prisoners. Its a place where Israel dumps non-Jews after they steal their property.

Whether Palestinians resist oppression and injustice violently or non-violently, the outcome is the same. More oppression and injustice.

...I first came to Jayyous two years ago, when the path for the security wall was then being cleared. At the time, I, the Palestinians, and other observers had to watch as huge caterpillar bulldozers tore away hundreds of olive trees. Villagers stood in the path of the bulldozers and armored military vehicles in an attempt to resist this injustice by peaceful means. Jayyous, like most other Palestinian communities, has maintained a commitment to non-violent resistance. This commitment is admirable considering the levels of violence and incidence of theft which they have endured for many years. On the one hand, it is amazing and inspiring to see such spirited and sustained non-violent marches, actions, and protests after all these years. On the other, it is an unbearable tragedy to know that their non-violence has not been successful, nor even recognized and valorized...
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=6828

What is commonly known about this conflict ius more a result of manipulating propaganda, than objective information.

For example, our news never did report that Hamas unilaterally maintained a ceasefire for over a year until recently despite Israel's abduction, torture and assassination of their leaders. While Israel did/does these things, our news re-reports old news about Hamas like these acts of violence were ongoing.

When Hamas finally resumed their violent resistance, our news never reports this violence in the context of Israeli attacks on Palestinian civilians and politicians. Our news doesn't tell us the stories of Israeli soldiers and colonialists torturing and murdering Palestinians with impunity. It doesn't mention the thousands of Palestinians homes demolished each year. Not a surprise that selectively omitting all that information results in a distorted perception of the reality of Gaza and Hamas.

Sorry, C, but I won't reinforce demonizing stereotypes. If people want to be misinformed, they can turn on the idiot box. If they want real informationa and/or real debate, they can read debates on this forum, apply critical thought and develop their own opinions.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Desperate people do desperate things.

Hitler was democratically elected by a majority while Germany suffered post WW I economic collapse.

So, do you think that means we should have supported GERMANY in World War Two? Or stayed out of it?

Hamas is a consequence of 60 years of intolerable cruelty. At least Gazans are led by people dedicated to fighting injustice and opppression, rather than lining their own pockets. Also from what I've seen Hamas does what they say and says what they do. Israelis may not like what Hamas says and does, but Hamas is honest, has legitimacy... and a democratic mandate.

Hamas started the latest round of violence by taking a PA security official to the top of a 15 story building and throwing him off. Hamas has been executing captured Fatah followers in Gaza. Hamas bought the (hopefully temporary) affections of the Palestinian people with cash supplied by the lunatics in Iran. Hamas is a pawn of Iran, who couldn't give a fiddler's ph*ck about the Palestinian people.....what should be VERY clear to you and other observers of the ME is that the Islamo-fascists of Hamas don't give a damn about their own people either......they can easily be sacrificed in the interests of a greater Islamic state, and the murder of all Jews.

If you want to understand Hamas, you must consider the Palestinian experience. Gaza is smaller than Manhattan island, holds 1.4 million people and resembles a prison which has recently been taken over by the prisoners. Its a place where Israel dumps non-Jews after they steal their property.

Whether Palestinians resist oppression and injustice violently or non-violently, the outcome is the same. More oppression and injustice.

Sorry, EAO, NOBODY is going to swallow the hypothesis that this mess is Israel's fault..........

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
So, do you think that means we should have supported GERMANY in World War Two? Or stayed out of it?

eao: Actually I'm saying the WW II could have been avoided if Germans were treated with dignity and respect after WW I. If the German people weren't so desperate as a result of the post WW I war reparations, they may have chosen a different leader.

Hamas started the latest round of violence by taking a PA security official to the top of a 15 story building and throwing him off. Hamas has been executing captured Fatah followers in Gaza. Hamas bought the (hopefully temporary) affections of the Palestinian people with cash supplied by the lunatics in Iran. Hamas is a pawn of Iran, who couldn't give a fiddler's ph*ck about the Palestinian people.....what should be VERY clear to you and other observers of the ME is that the Islamo-fascists of Hamas don't give a damn about their own people either......they can easily be sacrificed in the interests of a greater Islamic state, and the murder of all Jews.

eao: link please regarding how this dispute started. The earliest references I can find show Fatah starting this civil war.
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/06/front2453873.086111111.html

Another factor are US/Israeli arms shipments to Fata:
...Israeli officials said they approved the shipment of 2,000 rifles, 20,000 ammunition clips and 2 million bullets...
...The arms shipment came less than a week after the Palestinian president held talks with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

Israeli officials have said they support strengthening Mr Abbas against the militant group, Hamas.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6216365.stm

More U.S. weapons transferred to Palestinians

Last week's shipment was intercepted by Hamas terrorists

...The American weapons shipment, the sources said, contained assault rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, more than 500,000 rounds of ammunition and bullet-proof vests....

...The latest American weapons transfer follows a botched transfer Thursday that was intercepted by an ambush during which Hamas says it obtained the U.S. weapons.

"We are in possession of American rocket-propelled grenades," a leader of Hamas' so-called military wing told WND Thursday. "This will prove to the Americans their conspiracy of toppling our government will be used against them."
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54118
How ironic that all these US/Israeli arms now belong to Hamas...

Sorry, EAO, NOBODY is going to swallow the hypothesis that this mess is Israel's fault..........

I don't ask anyone to swallow anything. Nor do I use manipulative words like Islamo-fascist. I post information our media selectively omits. Once people have more complete information, they can think for themselves, filter out the BS and come to their own conclusions.

My opinion is that since Israel and the US arm/train Fatah and give their leaders millions in bribes, they can't claim to be innocent bystanders in this conflict.

From what I can tell, the original backers of Hamas was the US and Israel back when secular Fatah was considered the main threat. But when Hamas became a serious threat and Fatah indicated a willingness to sell out fellow Palestinians in exchange for millions in bribes and arms, the US and Israel switched to funding Fatah.

...According to documents obtained by United Press International, the Israelis once secretly funded Hamas as "a direct attempt to divide and dilute support for a strong, secular PLO [Palestine Liberation Organisation] by using a competing religious alternative", in the words of a former CIA official.

Today, Israel and the US have reversed this ploy and openly back Hamas's rival, Fatah, with bribes of millions of dollars. Israel recently secretly allowed 500 Fatah fighters to cross into Gaza from Egypt, where they had been trained by another American client, the Cairo dictatorship. The Israelis' aim is to undermine the elected Palestinian government and ignite a civil war...

http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=438

Divide and conquer is a well know tactic to weaken your enemy. Israel and the US use this tactic extensively. In my opinion, the Hamas victory over Fatah in Gaza is a setback for US and Israeli attempts to keep Palestinians in a constant state of civil war.

Now that the battle for Gaza is over, the US and Israel will probably try to ensure Fatah doesn't also loose in the West Bank. Unfortunately Fatah is so corrupt that a substantial amount of US/Israel support for Fatah will probably end up in foreign Fatah bank accounts.

In West Bank, Fatah hits Hamas-led Parliament
Maher Abukhater, Ken Ellingwood, Los Angeles Times
Sunday, June 17, 2007

(06-17) 04:00 PDT Ramallah, West Bank -- Fatah gunmen took aim at Hamas rivals in the West Bank on Saturday, storming the Hamas-led Parliament and ransacking offices of the Islamist group amid fears that last week's fighting in the Gaza Strip could trigger a wider reprisal campaign here.
No deaths were reported during a host of incidents around the West Bank, which came despite Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas' efforts to rein in militants affiliated with his Fatah party. Fatah still holds sway in the West Bank, but its forces were overpowered in the Gaza fighting, leaving Hamas in sole control of the seaside strip of land.
Palestinian officials said preventing outbreaks of Gaza-style violence will be the priority of an emergency Cabinet that will be named in the next day or so. Four days of clashes between armed camps in Gaza killed at least 90 people and deepened worries over the possibility of civil war.
"We have told the security forces to quell any attempt to attack people or offices, regardless of their affiliation, and to use force, if necessary," said Yasser Abed Rabbo, an Abbas ally who is secretary of the Palestine Liberation Organization. The new Cabinet, whose authority effectively might be limited to the West Bank, will exclude Hamas. It will be headed by Salam Fayyad, a moderate lawmaker and former finance minister who is respected by the United States and Israel...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...hive/2007/06/17/MNG56QGQJI1.DTL&type=politics

I'm sure most Palestinians are well aware that the US and Israel back Fatah. They are also aware that Fatah is willing to sell them out for personal gain. Hamas on the other hand is honest and can't be bribed to sell out fellow Palestinians. Who do you think Palestinians support?

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
When it looked like Hamas and Fatah might resolve their differences peacefully, this event happened:

Outrage over killing of Gaza boys

The car was reportedly hit by more than 70 bullets

Scene of the attack

The killing of three sons of a top intelligence officer in Gaza has caused widespread outrage among Palestinians.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said the attack by gunmen in Gaza City was "an ugly and inhuman crime".
"Words stop at the extent of this crime," said the children's father, Baha Balusheh, who is linked to Mr Abbas's Fatah party.
The gunmen fired dozens of bullets at the car in which the children, aged six to 10, were travelling to school.
An adult was also killed in the attack which took place in a street crowded with children.
I am a father who has lost his children... This crime is a part of the terrorism which continues on Palestinian streets

Baha Balousheh

So far, no-one has admitted carrying out the drive-by shooting.
The motive also remains unclear but Mr Balousheh's position means he would have made many enemies, the BBC's Alan Johnston in Gaza says.
Mr Balousheh led a crackdown on the now-ruling Hamas movement 10 years ago. "I am a father who has lost his children... This crime is a part of the terrorism which continues on Palestinian streets," said Mr Balousheh who was not travelling in the car at the time. Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum condemned the killings as an "awful, ugly crime against innocent children".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6167835.stm

Now who could possibly benefit from killing the children of Fatah's chief torturer and executioner????