Ottawa introduces anti-piracy bill to target movie bootleggers

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The federal government introduced legislation to crack down on film piracy Friday, two days after California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger met with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

More...

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
The federal government introduced legislation to crack down on film piracy Friday, two days after California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger met with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

More...

Well, it is probably a little insane people taking their video camera to the theater without fear of prosecution. That said If the bootlegged copies don't come from Canada they will probably just come from somewhere else.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Or, I have a better idea...Hollywood can start making movies that are actually good...no sequels and prequels and whatever else, and stop, PLEASE stop with the comic book movies. Theatres can start bringing down their prices. Less commercials off the top would be good. The list goes on and on and on. I think Hollywood has to look directly at itself. Are they making movies that people will WANT to see on the big screen...or are they making movies that people are perfectly fine, watching in questionable quality at home for a few bucks...or free. Start making stuff that people are willing to pay for!

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
I can understand why the film industry is upset over piracy, but it's hard to feel sorry for them. Maybe if they stopped paying the actors millions for a single movie, they could lower the prices less than $15 for one movie, and people might actually considering going to movies. Maybe if they didn't show commercials before every movie, or charge $5 for a small popcorn, people might actually go to the theatre?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I can understand why the film industry is upset over piracy, but it's hard to feel sorry for them. Maybe if they stopped paying the actors millions for a single movie, they could lower the prices less than $15 for one movie, and people might actually considering going to movies. Maybe if they didn't show commercials before every movie, or charge $5 for a small popcorn, people might actually go to the theatre?

You know if they did all that, they might start to make great movies again instead of great profits.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
It does boggle my mind how on the one hand people can rant about movies destroying our morality and culture, then on the other feel the need to give them special privelages, subsidies and protections above others equally or more deserving.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
It does boggle my mind how on the one hand people can rant about movies destroying our morality and culture, then on the other feel the need to give them special privelages, subsidies and protections above others equally or more deserving.

In my opinion there are a lot of good movies made. Of course there are a lot of bad ones to. Movies take considerable investment to make and protection from theft is not unreasonable. People watch movie typically about once or twice a day well they watch television considerably more. Television is a much bigger influence our our culture then movies.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Or, I have a better idea...Hollywood can start making movies that are actually good...no sequels and prequels and whatever else, and stop, PLEASE stop with the comic book movies. Theatres can start bringing down their prices. Less commercials off the top would be good. The list goes on and on and on. I think Hollywood has to look directly at itself. Are they making movies that people will WANT to see on the big screen...or are they making movies that people are perfectly fine, watching in questionable quality at home for a few bucks...or free. Start making stuff that people are willing to pay for!

That's a good point snfu. If the movie is good it is much better to go to the theater. I do look comic book heroes and and sagas though. You can only do some much within a two hour story.