Duceppe, Marois will run for the PQ's top spot

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe and former provincial cabinet minister Pauline Marois will run for the Parti Québécois leadership.

More...

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Tweedle Dum, or Tweedle Dee? Does it matter?

Of course, from the ROC's point of view, seperatists are all the same right?

:roll:

Seriously, this leadership race is bound to draw lots of attention in Quebec because it is a very crucial one for the severely weakened PQ. The last leadership race was a total bore. André Boisclair's cocaine story stole the show, the debate was clogged up by too many leadership contestants and real and serious issues were barely discussed. In the end it was pretty much a superficial popularity contest. The only interesting moment was when Marois had the courage and honesty to say that Quebec would probably go through at least 5 years of instability following a victory of the YES in a referendum. She was blasted by many prominent seperatist figures for saying that out loud.

This time around, we have 2 major and prominent figures, Duceppe and Marois. If wannabe leaders stay away from this race we could have a real debate of ideas for the future of the PQ and the independance movement.

Duceppe has solid experience and he tends to be a sharp and witty debater. He's known for the discipline he's managed to maintain in the Bloc and many think discipline is exactly what the PQ needs right now. Apart from all being sovereignists, PQ members are a very diversified bunch that spread all over the political spectrum. For that reason, cohesion is hard to maintain when sovereignty is not on the horizon and a tough leader who can impose respect and discipline would be a good thing for the party That being said, Duceppe is also known for his leftist tendecies. That might not fare so good with many in the PQ who are trying to bring the party closer to the Quebec population who's lately been turning to the right.

On the other side, we've got Marois who's been in the PQ nearly since the beginning. She has very solid experience (she's managed pretty much everything as a minister). She has a substantial portfolio while it is more than questionable if Duceppe would even be spoken about today if it wouldn't have been for the sponsership scandal.

Canadians won't give a damn about this leadership race but maybe they should. Seperatism simply isn't dead and Quebec's political landscape is very volatile right now.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Duceppe has just announced he will NOT be part of the PQ leadership race. The way now seems fairly clear for Pauline Marois to become the next leader of the PQ.

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
Oh goodness! Pauline Marois is pretty much the worst thing for the PQ. While she was finance minister under the old regime, she has indebted the province something fierce.

One only has to take a look at her. For goodness sake, she is one of the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

I am a 100% Federalist, therefore I could care less about the PQ.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Oh goodness! Pauline Marois is pretty much the worst thing for the PQ. While she was finance minister under the old regime, she has indebted the province something fierce.

One only has to take a look at her. For goodness sake, she is one of the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

I am a 100% Federalist, therefore I could care less about the PQ.

So who did you vote for Bluerocks? Charest or Dumont?

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
And oh by the way, Normally I would not say anything bad about anyone and I apologize. But I really dislike Pauline Marois. The polls have her in the lead, I really do not see what people see in her.

Simply put, only looking at her...:pukeleft:

It is no surprise that Quebecers are leaving the province. The PQ's only objective is to hold a referendum at all cost. They do not have any platforms other than to hold a referendum.

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
So who did you vote for Bluerocks? Charest or Dumont?

Dumont. Although, either would have been fine. As previously mentioned, I am a Federalist. Anything but the PQ :p

But Dumont has some good political views. I would have to say that the official opposition is right for the ADQ.

Also, since I am from Quebec City, my riding showed that the ADQ had a big lead in the polls during the election campaign.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Hello Bluerocks... I would have PMed this to you but you do not receive private messages...

So you are from Quebec City? Tu parles français? That's where I grew up and it's still my home although I've been living in Montreal for almost 3 years now...

What is your name? Maybe I know you! My name is Sean Lonergan... I'm 25. My father is anglophone... He teached at St-Patrick's high school...

just being curious...

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
Hello Bluerocks... I would have PMed this to you but you do not receive private messages...

So you are from Quebec City? Tu parles français? That's where I grew up and it's still my home although I've been living in Montreal for almost 3 years now...

What is your name? Maybe I know you! My name is Sean Lonergan... I'm 25. My father is anglophone... He teached at St-Patrick's high school...

just being curious...

Well Hello to you S Lone.

Oui je parle francais. Originally, I am from St-Georges in Beauce. Only been in Quebec City for a few years. This goes to say that I don't know too many people within the city itself.

By the way, what brought you to Montreal? It seems like everyone from the smaller towns are moving to Montreal. Some friends of mine have relocated there.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
I came here for my studies... I study music and the Laval University program is a bit too conservative for me... And on another note, it simply is good for my evolution to discover another city... I really like it here although I would love to come back to live in Quebec city later on in my life.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Don't want to disappoint you but I'm not quite a federalist... I'm a very softcore seperatist...

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
Don't want to disappoint you but I'm not quite a federalist... I'm a very softcore seperatist...

LOL :smile: It's alright. I am not going to get into a heated political debate.

Although, it seems surprising that an Anglophone would be somewhat of a separatist. :-?

Well, as you know already, the PQ has had the reign for a few years before the Charest Liberals took power in 2003.

There has been some good things done, I'll admit. But just the fact that they want a referendum at all cost, well, that is pretty much the only reason why I will never be a supporter of the PQ. I always considered that we have it good being in Canada. Yet, some hardcore ``pur et dur`` separatists want to screw it all by separating. And for what? A pride issue? Sure, there are some things that could be improved, no denying, but it would be in Quebec's best interest to work things out with Ottawa rather than threatening a referendum ASAP.

Sorry, this is not being written in a provoking manner. Only that could never understand that Quebecers would rather separate and risk economic impact while it is all so good.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
LOL :smile: It's alright. I am not going to get into a heated political debate.

Although, it seems surprising that an Anglophone would be somewhat of a separatist. :-?

Well, as you know already, the PQ has had the reign for a few years before the Charest Liberals took power in 2003.

There has been some good things done, I'll admit. But just the fact that they want a referendum at all cost, well, that is pretty much the only reason why I will never be a supporter of the PQ. I always considered that we have it good being in Canada. Yet, some hardcore ``pur et dur`` separatists want to screw it all by separating. And for what? A pride issue? Sure, there are some things that could be improved, no denying, but it would be in Quebec's best interest to work things out with Ottawa rather than threatening a referendum ASAP.

Sorry, this is not being written in a provoking manner. Only that could never understand that Quebecers would rather separate and risk economic impact while it is all so good.

Well the thing is that my mother is francophone... So having been raised in Quebec City, French became the language I commonly use. My social network is mostly francophone but I know more anglos now that I'm in Montreal.

I won't get into another long explanation of my views on the subject, but basically, what I really wish for is for Canada to evolve into something in which Quebec feels comfortable. It's complicated though!