Former Russian president Boris Yeltsin dead at 76

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Makes you feel a little older each time the icons of the last century pass away. Yeltsin tried and I guess that's as good a eulogy as can be given. Putin is slowly moving Russia back to the country it was when I was a kid. Darker, more sinister and with all the ensuing machinations that come with such a temperament. The light on the path Yeltsin trod is fading.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
The light on the path Yeltsin trod is fading.
No comments from a person who saw Yeltsin's rule. Crime, corruption, upheaval, the downfall of a great country, the crushing of the national pride, thousands of people left homeless and helpless, hundreds of thousands cheated from what was rightfully theirs, an excellent time when food was not to be bought because there wasn't any in shops, young girls dreaming of prostitues' careers and boys dreaming of becoming bandits... I thank the Gods and the spirits that this wonderful, beautiful, bright light on that wonderfully straight democratic path has finally faded!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
It's interesting the timing too. Just as Yeltsin dies more signs appear that old Cold War alignments are re-emerging. The Russian press reports this week that media outlets have been told now to refer to the US as "Russia's enemy" when completing related coverage. That's reassuring.